F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Plus it’s a way for them to re-distribute staff in order to meet the budget cap.

Be great if another manufacturer would join as an engine supplier. Thought Porsche would as they have plenty of experience from their Le Mans programme.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't think it's viable for any manufacturer to design an F1 engine without supplying multiple teams. I think that ultimately was the nail in the coffin for Honda. They got burned by McL. Even though we now know it was the car more than the engine the damage is done.

That plus the limited testing making it nigh on impossible for anyone to catch up. Even Ferrari and Renault are struggling.

The likes of Porsche were mentioned when there was talk of new engines, giving a more level playing field for a new entry. But that has all been shelved for the foreseeable future. Don't think even Merc are keen on an investment like that now.

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
You would hope the newer engines planned for 2025 will be able to attract some new manufacturers.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I would love to know the finer details of the budget cap. Does it include performance related employee bonuses because without it they will lose quite a few engineers I reckon. Also, how the likes of car schemes etc work. Long hours and what can only result teams not wanting to increase salaries and rather spend the money on R&D means engineers will go elsewhere.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I would love to know the finer details of the budget cap. Does it include performance related employee bonuses because without it they will lose quite a few engineers I reckon. Also, how the likes of car schemes etc work. Long hours and what can only result teams not wanting to increase salaries and rather spend the money on R&D means engineers will go elsewhere.
It's only down by a few million to $145M. It's not like they're all of a sudden completely skint, lol :innocent:

Some loop holes in there as well for the bigger teams to exploit, especially the big manufacturer teams.

Plus it only relates to spending related to improve a race cars performance. So that excludes driver pay, team bonuses, and so on.

It's a bit of a smoke screen to be honest.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Williams weren’t even spending the full amount so they can increase their spending and still fall under the cap.

The bigger teams (Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari) have moved personnel around to dip under the cap but no doubt they are still working to make their car go faster.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
What are people's views on the 2021 cars so far then?

I think the Aston looks pretty good (even if the snippets of their reveal I saw were cringeworthy), and the Alpha Tauri also looks good.

The Haas livery reveal has been the latest one, wonder where the backing for the team is coming from 😂
EvnuT1OXcAEMf0_.jpeg

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
What are people's views on the 2021 cars so far then?

I think the Aston looks pretty good (even if the snippets of their reveal I saw were cringeworthy), and the Alpha Tauri also looks good.

The Haas livery reveal has been the latest one, wonder where the backing for the team is coming from 😂
View attachment 314601

I’m intrigued by the Aston beyond the paint scheme. I think the colour looks mega though. From what I’ve read it seems they have spent all their tokens in a redesign of the rear chassis. For me the McLaren livery will always be a favourite. From what I read the McLaren also didn’t even have the 2021 spec Merc engine in it so it was basically a car launch for the new sponsors. Apparently the new Mercedes powered cars have a ‘bump’ for the new plenum which the McLaren didn’t. Haas let’s face it is just the Russian flag.

Edit. Forgot about Alpine! Love it.

Last edited:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The alpine livery looks fantastic.

As odd as it seems, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Williams livery will be like.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
If this is true it would be a very strange move on the eve of a new season...

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Strange but not true

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
For the first time since 1996, F1 will have something other than a Mercedes as a safety car.

Aston Martin are to supply the safety car and medical car for many of the 2021 races. No surprise given Daimler recently increased their stake in Aston to 20%.

729F0EA8-754B-468F-BD8A-D88A388E9913.jpeg
9CA9B055-E4C4-4D7B-BA3D-ECE093C657A3.jpeg

Seems at odds with drivers forever asking the safety car to speed up only for F1 to then use a slower car. Should have just kept the AMG GT R and then used the Aston DBX as the medical car.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.