F1 2022

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
New thread for 2022 season.

This is for 2022 season discussions, including any changes at FIA level for the 2022 season. But please not about the 2021 results. The old 2021 thread is still there, up to mods if that should be closed.

Please try to keep it clean and respectful. Maybe avoid calling people "cnut" or "Karen", etc.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
So any blind predictions for 2022?

I’m predicting Haas have a midfield car but Mazepin still can’t beat anyone 😂

Also Sainz will be considerably quicker than LeClerc all season.

Vettel to retire at the end of the year.

Bottas gets surprise podium in the Alfa

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
RB and Mercedes put everything and more into this season.

The other teams just did the minimum to keep the cars on the track and will have spent most of this year on next year's cars.

I have no idea how Mercedes and RB could have continued to develop next year's cars while ploughing everything and more into this season. At least not within budget caps, etc.

Teams like Ferrari and McLaren, maybe even Renault and Aston, could have played a blinder here and come out strong next year.

There is also the issue of the RB engine and RB not having the full Honda backing for that any more. It's one thing having a few consultants designing engines, it's something else entirely building and maintaining those engines.

So in short, not a clue 😂

And that before massive regulation changes that no team has actually tested other than in computer simulations. And the big question of governing both those new regulations and the sport.

Pre-season testing will be very interesting!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
When do we think George will get his first Merc podium by then? First couple of races?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
If Merc have as good a car still, and he can make it work, I'd think first few races he can be on the podium.

That assumes that Perez isn't on a consistently quick form, possibly, maybe. Also assumes that the RB will also be as good.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The new regulations and the new tire/wheel sizes are probably going to have some teams guessing. I wouldn't expect Merc to drop away too far but anything could happen.

We did get a taste of what George would be like in a Merc when Lewis caught Covid in 2020 at the Sahkir GP so I'll be expecting him to do well there with it being the first race in the calendar. (the less said about the 2nd venue on the calendar the better).

As for the rest of the teams, if Ferrari continue the way they have been going, they might even get a win here and there.

As for McLaren, well Zak Brown has been doing a great job, just a shame the end of the season tailed off a bit for them. Whether that was focusing on 2022 development or something else, I dunno but I really hope they don't lose ground on Merc, RedBull and Ferrari.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Rolling straight over from the 21 thread then lol?
Yea I wasn’t done there!!

I predict that the FIA Will replace Masi with a computer generated randomiser to make the decisions more consistent!

I predict Max, Karen and Helmut will still be crying the the FIA treat Max differently…….

stevyg

RMS Regular
Happy to be wrong but I'm going to go on a whim and say:
Merc & RB will be high mid-pack teams next year. RB because they are starting from scratch in the engine department & Merc because they've lost a ton of their dream team & because they put so much into beating RB this year. Merc will catch the front runners mid-late season, but it could be too late. McLaren will be ahead with Alpine & Aston close behind. I think Stroll Snr will be pouring a ton of money on the side into Aston to get them to the top. Merc, Ferrari, RB & Williams mid pack with Alfa, Haas & AT at the back.
I think Ferrari will get Brawn & Todt back on the payroll this year for a big push in '23.
Masi will stay (unfortunately) and Herbie Blash will make a comeback to kick his arse!

stevyg

RMS Regular
I do think circumstantially Piastri will get to do a race in '22 and he will get a podium. Why is he not driving in F1 this year? He's the best young driver I've ever seen.

KevM

RMS Regular
I think you'll see a more even pack and the onus put more on Driver ability (unless someone somewhere has found a massive exploit in the design rules). The '22 design seems to take a step back from the intricate aero packages that probably made the huge difference between the good cars an the phenomenal cars.

Hopefully, it'll be a racier year. That will favour dirty Max, who will have a lot of momentum off the back of '21. Id love to see the RB own-brand PU going to crap to be honest.

It should be interesting.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I think RBs in house engine departments not going to cause them too much of an issue. I believe they've taken on a lot of the Honda team that looked after the engine and they're lending some level os support while the transition happens.

Interesting to see how it all plays out with the tighter regulations and budget cap, hopefully its a close field with some good racing.

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
I just hope they don't go ahead with those LED wheels, anything after that's a bonus.
I think if the LED lights were designed to represent wheel spokes and have them the same colour as the tyre compound, they might be okay. It would depend on how bright they are though.