F1 2022

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I remember looking at the fence at kirkistown and thinking it would potentionly make the situation worse if you managed to get clear the barrier. Protectors spectators yes, but it ping pongs the driver/ridee between the fence and the barrier.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Another fine for Max touching another car 🤔.

FB_IMG_1657024844111.jpg

stevyg

RMS Regular
What a breath of fresh air after all the boring street circuits. Great race and even better with Maxine not up front.

Perez had an incredible recovery even if he was a little cheeky towards the end with Hamilton & Leclerc, shows the pace of the RB with their #2 driver coming from last to 2nd.
Thought Hamilton should have put the Mediums on since he had more pace on those, he could have won that race on shear pace but it's great to see Merc progress. They will be happy with that. Finally some points for Schumacher and Verstappen pushed him off twice, bad sport from him.
Not sure why they restarted the cars in their original positions after the restart, never seen that before whatever position you are in when the flag comes out is where you start, screwed a few people like Hamilton, Verstappen & Alonso.
Charles & Hamilton side through Copse was amazing, what a move by Charles with old Hards. Amazing how you can race side by side through there when you don't turn in on someone lol
What were Ferrari doing telling Sainz to leave a 10 car gap? Awful strategy trying to make up for not bringing him in during the SC. I think both would have lost if he did. Good for him for going for the win, very happy for Sainz it's been a long time coming.
Glad Zhou is ok & Halo definitely saved Nassany in F2 from getting decapitated. That was scary. George was great for getting out of his car to help, pity his race ended like that.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Not sure why they restarted the cars in their original positions after the restart, never seen that before whatever position you are in when the flag comes out is where you start, screwed a few people like Hamilton, Verstappen & Alonso.
From what I remember of the rules (someone more enlightened than me might correct me), if a race is red flagged and is then restarted, it is restarted with the order at the start of the lap when the race was red flagged. I'm guessing this is to settle any arguments of any overtakes when the race is effectively stopped on that lap.

Since the British GP hadn't completed the first lap when it was red flagged they simply reverted to qualifying grid order minus the retirements.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, it's something along those lines. Would be impossible to sort out an order in the melee of a crash like that, people making up random places in the chaos before flags went out, etc. So the order is whatever it was on the start of the lap. Or something along those lines. As it was right after the start that means original starting order.

It makes sense I think.

Amazing how you can race side by side through there when you don't turn in on someone lol
It is, isn't it? Especially on that corner which apparently is lethal to pass on and only a madman would even try :innocent: 😅

Agree Max was back to his bad old form against Mick. If Mick had got past then he would have been away.

In fairness to Max there were no risks at all taken by Mick. The points were too valuable. And Max took advantage of that.

But there was certainly some "robust defending" there...

stevyg

RMS Regular
From what I remember of the rules (someone more enlightened than me might correct me), if a race is red flagged and is then restarted, it is restarted with the order at the start of the lap when the race was red flagged. I'm guessing this is to settle any arguments of any overtakes when the race is effectively stopped on that lap.

Since the British GP hadn't completed the first lap when it was red flagged they simply reverted to qualifying grid order minus the retirements.
Thats if the race ends under a red flag the results are the previous lap...ahem Abu Dhabi ahem. The FIA said something about all the cars not making it past the Safety Car #2 line and thats why they went back to the starting order. Never heard of that rule before.
Yes, it's something along those lines. Would be impossible to sort out an order in the melee of a crash like that, people making up random places in the chaos before flags went out, etc. So the order is whatever it was on the start of the lap. Or something along those lines. As it was right after the start that means original starting order.

It makes sense I think.

It is, isn't it? Especially on that corner which apparently is lethal to pass on and only a madman would even try :innocent: 😅

Agree Max was back to his bad old form against Mick. If Mick had got past then he would have been away.

In fairness to Max there were no risks at all taken by Mick. The points were too valuable. And Max took advantage of that.

But there was certainly some "robust defending" there...
It was over the line but nothing will be said. The RB seems very sensitive to damage compared to Leclerc who held on throughout the race with the front end plate missing.

stevyg

RMS Regular
What a race that was to be at for F1 for the first time, since we arrived late on Wednesday, you could kind of tell it would produce something special, the atmosphere was off the chart from when we first arrived!
If you haven’t, get to a race, it’s just amazing! Highlight was Seb in his FW14b, what a noise!View attachment 367412
What makes that even more special is that is actually Vettels own car he brought. He won that at auction a few years ago because Mansell was his hero. Amazing that he could do that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It was over the line but nothing will be said. The RB seems very sensitive to damage compared to Leclerc who held on throughout the race with the front end plate missing.

Yes, I was wondering too exactly what it was that got damaged on that RB. Max thought he had a puncture and headed straight for the pits, it was that bad.

I guess these cars generate most of their downforce underneath now, so maybe it's natural that floor damage becomes fatal. It would just be interesting to see if there is something specific to RB design at play here, or if it could happen to any team in this way.

The front wing has much less importance this year in generating downforce. DC (I think it was?) was even saying that it might have helped Charles as the car was set up "front heavy" before and the damage actually reduced that, effectively moving the load towards the rear.

Sainz was complaining about excessive front tyre wear, for example. Charles did not seem to have that problem.

These cars are so subtle now.

e320mark

RMS Regular
What makes that even more special is that is actually Vettels own car he brought. He won that at auction a few years ago because Mansell was his hero. Amazing that he could do that.
2.7 million he paid apparently! He has converted it to run on carbon neutral fuel, developed by Paddy Lowe!

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Redbull and Ferrari have been caught out cheating, or rather exploiting loopholes in the regs! Any wonder Salty Spice has been crying about the proposed changes after the Austrian GP:

Now I know, exploiting loopholes has been going on for as long as the sport has, but still it doesn’t make it right.

Will be interesting to see the results of the changes from the French GP onwards. Probably too late to make any discernible difference to the Championship, unless of course Redbull and Ferrari end up as bad as Merc where a few races ago.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They were obviously up to something with 0.5-1s over anyone else.

Just good it was discovered reasonably early in the season and not two seasons down the line or something.

I guess Horner will take his own advice and raise the ride height on the RB then to deal with the consequences of having to remove this cheat design feature? :innocent:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Redbull and Ferrari have been caught out cheating, or rather exploiting loopholes in the regs! Any wonder Salty Spice has been crying about the proposed changes after the Austrian GP:

Now I know, exploiting loopholes has been going on for as long as the sport has, but still it doesn’t make it right.

Will be interesting to see the results of the changes from the French GP onwards. Probably too late to make any discernible difference to the Championship, unless of course Redbull and Ferrari end up as bad as Merc where a few races ago.

The reason you think it's not right is because it wasn't your team doing it. All these teams pay people big money to read what the rules don't say rather than what they do say and occasionally the loophole gets closed 🤷‍♂️ if you want right then Motorsport is not where you're gona get it. There's not a team in any part of it who isn't looking for or using loopholes, if not outright cheating. Toto's pearl clutching is all for the media.

The 2 that spotted this gap in the rules were clearly thinking differently to the others. It's the same when you've a big change to the rule book and you see each team's interpretation of them.

It'll be interesting to see what that does for Ferrari and Red Bull now and it'd be good to see it being some of the other teams closer to them and leave it more than a 2 horse race.

I will add, Silverstone was 👌 overall

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
The reason you think it's not right is because it wasn't your team doing it. All these teams pay people big money to read what the rules don't say rather than what they do say and occasionally the loophole gets closed 🤷‍♂️ if you want right then Motorsport is not where you're gona get it. There's not a team in any part of it who isn't looking for or using loopholes, if not outright cheating. Toto's pearl clutching is all for the media.

The 2 that spotted this gap in the rules were clearly thinking differently to the others. It's the same when you've a big change to the rule book and you see each team's interpretation of them.

It'll be interesting to see what that does for Ferrari and Red Bull now and it'd be good to see it being some of the other teams closer to them and leave it more than a 2 horse race.

I will add, Silverstone was 👌 overall
Agreed. Exploiting loopholes is entirely fair play and is how things are advanced, until someone figures it out and determines if it's allowable or not. It is categorically not cheating (even if Ferrari in particular have form for it outright).

At the same time, **** red bull 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'd be pretty upset whoever got up to these kinds of shenanigans to be honest.

But you are right, it's how the game is played. At all levels. Other teams have had "innovative" features before.

Nobody will lose points over this but hopefully it can be more level now. There's bound to be other stuff too though.

It's just that RB and Ferrari have long previous form for stuff like this that was clearly just a typo that didn't get picked up on when reviewing a completely new rule book. Never mind stuff that clearly breaks rules but just manages to avoid specific tests to enforce those rules. Ferrari engine and RB bendy wings come to mind.

There is a grey scale between "cheat" and "innovation". At the end of the day FIA are just a couple of dudes trying to keep on top of very complex cars. There's only so much they can do to enforce it all. And some teams are happy to exploit that.

And nobody has explained yet how RB can keep developing their car for every race, despite all dev and budget caps, when nobody else is able to do so.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Not to leave Ferrari out but here we go once again, a new technical directive thanks to RB.
Lets add it to the list of times the FIA has caught RB "bending the rules"

2022 the "padded floor" to stop porpoising
2009 illegal double diffusers
2011 off throttle/off torque exhaust blowing
2012 & 2013 the famous rubber nose
2014 bendy front wings that got them a DQ
2013 illegal traction control they gave to Vettel and not Webber
2014 excess fuel flow and got DQ'd
2018 failed tyre pressure test
2018 getting caught multiple times removing tyre blankets before the allowed time to lower the pressures & caught using depressurising tyre valves
2017 caught with excess oil burning, using "performance gaining oil"
Caught using bendy rear wings multiple years
2021 the claimed "reliability upgrades" made them 40 seconds faster over a race distance when performance upgrades were completely banned

I hope their car drives like a pogo stick for a few races after all the bragging they were doing about how great a car they've made and how everyone elses car is terrible, laughing at how much other cars are bouncing, saying it's everyone elses fault for not making a good enough car etc etc

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They are that. This one with the pad thing is an example of a slip in the rule text that nobody noticed and they exploited. Hence no punishment other than having to change their design following "clarification" of the rules.

They also have a long history of designing to tests when in fact they completely break rules.

That's different. From bendy wings and double diffusers to messing with tyre pressures.

There is only so much the FIA can do to enforce rules. Exploiting that is an "it's only cheating if you get caught" type of philosophy. It's not "innovating" within the rules. They know they are breaking rules that they think they can get away with.

Ferrari have a long history of this too. But RB are the masters.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Exactly @svensktoppen they know they’re cheating, albeit using the term “exploiting the loophole”. It’s not innovative as you rightly say, it’s just cheating.

As for “my team” @natogreen16v granted Mercedes are my team of choice at present, but it’s not like football here where you pick a team and stick with them forever.

I’ve been following many different teams since I started watching F1 in the late 80’s, including RB when it was Vettel/Webber/Ricciardo and I was as disappointed with them then when caught cheating when I followed them as I am now when I follow their competitors!

I was disappointed last year, or maybe the year before (Covid has made the last two years a bit of a blur to me) when Merc had their own bendy wing!!

I’m adult enough to admit when “my team” is doing wrong and I show my disdain accordingly, I don’t go around bumming and blowing that “my team” aren’t cheating, their exploiting a loophole.

In my mind it’s no less dishonest if I follow the cheating team or not!

It’s just plain bad sportsmanship never mind anything else!