F1 2022

stevyg

RMS Regular
1662996604038.png

ali619

RMS Regular
Pretty standard race; Max was always going to win, Sainz battled well but I am so surprised by de Vries; just shows how bad Latifi is. He will be dropped by Williams, he is just dead weight.

With Albon and de Vries, Williams would have a chance at scoring points more consistently.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think if there are more than 5 laps left they should red flag it
Something like that would make sense. Or just stop the lap counter when they get to give laps left under safety car.

But then again, those short sprints get so random they might as well just flip coins :innocent:

I guess there might be an issue with fuel if it dragged on. I imagine they only have fuel for maybe one extra lap to get back to the pits. So it's probably a no-go sadly.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
If you thought the race was bad, you should have seen the organisation at the track itself.
The only positives i can think of for my trip were, I've been to monza, and I was lucky enough to get to another F1 race.
but my word never again!

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
If you thought the race was bad, you should have seen the organisation at the track itself.
The only positives i can think of for my trip were, I've been to monza, and I was lucky enough to get to another F1 race.
but my word never again!
Surprised to hear that. I was at mugello for the motogp a few years ago and it was fantastic, by far best motorsport event I've been to.

Was always hoping to get to monza for f1, now off the list :grinning:

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
@Petem86 anything specific that ruined the experience?

I was there for the F1 in 2016, thought it was a good atmosphere, temp not too bad at this time of year, easy to get to via train from Milan etc.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
It was so bad it had various threads on reddit! Lol

They introduced a token system for food. Buy tokens, use tokens for food.

Problem was, 45mins plus in 30c heat to get tokens, then a further hour to get food. The token machines kept breaking, automatic machines didn't work, the website to top up your bracelet if you got one crashed, very kittle signal anyway.

Queues for the trains were fine, queue for the bus was diabolical, walking in didn't bother me so much. Then more queuing to get bag searched and then another queue to get ticket scanned.

People trying to get through the underpasses to the fanzone and out of the circuit was crazy, wouldn't take you to be claustrophobic or scared of many many people pushing and shoving to get ahead.

May sound trivial, but it just wasn't pleasant. Was talking to a few folks in the above queues and on trains etc, all said the same, and didn't experience it at the last few GP, Holland and Spa were impeccably organised I heard. And Austria when I was there in 2019, and Abu Dhabi.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess queues at large events might be expected. Heat doesn't help. Try to get into or away from Silverstone on an F1/GP weekend. They close the whole dual carriageway to get people in/out.

The food token thing sounds a bit silly.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Dont get me wrong, i didnt expect bot to queue....but these queues were huge! For the whole grandstand vedano, there was a very small burger thing and panini stand with 1 person working each, and 3 lanes at the bar...for probably 3000 people lol

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Saw some videos on social media which showed how bad it was. Looked a nightmare and something I’d never want to experience.

Would like to go to a race but some of the stories people tell are a worry.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
yea i was a bit surprised, as were most of the people we spoke to.
Wouldn't let it put you off getting to one, i think we just picked a manic venue.
Austria and Abu Dhabi were fine, no mucking about.
And I've read Netherlands, Austria and Spa this year were all grand (and they took card for food payments lol)

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Dont get me wrong, i didnt expect bot to queue....but these queues were huge! For the whole grandstand vedano, there was a very small burger thing and panini stand with 1 person working each, and 3 lanes at the bar...for probably 3000 people lol

They did have the food token system in 2016 when i was there, we got stung with the double queuing the day before race day when it was pretty quiet and only a few people in front of us so we just brought our own drinks and snacks in to avoid any messing around on the Sunday.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The most recent GPs we were at were Spa and Abu Dhabi in 2019. Spa had that stupid token system for food and drink as well which worked out quite expensive and you couldn't return unused tokens either. Apart from that it was a great event and getting around the circuit wasn't that difficult. Abu Dhabi is very modern in comparison (although Spa has had a refurb since we went) and had a lot of options for food (paid for with actual money) and again, very easy to get around.

I was at Catalunia back in 2005 (I think) and it wasn't bad either. No idea what it's like now though but would be tempted to go back.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
And the circuit...

Stupid system though.

Good you are allowed to bring your own drinks and food at least. That's what I try to do most of the time at large events. Saves a lot of stress and hassle.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Record 24 race calendar. Mad that F1 promotes its green credentials yet they do this.

Pity the race members going to all those fly-aways.

1663743047156.png

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

Videos paint 100 words....similar o my experience

Bloody grim viewing that. Abu Dhabi was fine even if it isn't traditionally a great race and Spa had that stupid token system but was great beyond that, but that would put me off going to certain races if the likes of Monza, Austria, Catalunia become the norm. More has to be done for the fans.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Record 24 race calendar. Mad that F1 promotes its green credentials yet they do this.

Pity the race members going to all those fly-aways.

View attachment 375591
I get that certain races have to happen at certain times of the year (e.g. Monaco) but how is it acceptable to have baku-miami-imola or suzuka-qatar-austin type periods. Why not do Canada and the US races altogether much in the same way the European races used to be done in the calendar. The constant jumping around the globe isn't good for the teams or F1's supposed green credentials.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It doesn't look like that has been part of any consideration for next year. Like you say, they used to be reasonably grouped around Europe, Americas, Asia, ME. Not all in one go, but a least a couple at a time while there.

I guess it is much more difficiult to do that with just the sheer number of races next year.

The teams have to do it all within budget as well, and that includes transportation. I don't know if they have a say in any of this.