F1 2022

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It will amount to a simple "naughty RB, try not to do that again". Which isn't good for the sport.

Max set to be miles faster on that lap before he had to pit. The talent always shines in those conditions so was no surprise seeing Max, alsonso, Lewis etc doing so well.

Still expect Max to be in the top 2. It's a tight circuit but he only needs a small straight to make progress.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I fully expect a closed door settlement type thing again, allowing RB to be "certified" in exchange for an undisclosed fine. And no details published. Like with Ferrari and the engine thing.

RB claiming innocence as they have come to an agreement with FIA to get "certified". Just like Ferrari with the engine thing.

Short of Ferrari/Mercedes leaving the sport over it, that is where it will end.

Any advantage RB have gained will be carried forward. Even if the others were able to somehow increase their spend to match RB following this they would not be able to catch up as RB will also carry on.

But it's all speculation I guess. We will see next week.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Singapore is officially even worse than Monaco 🙈

Safety car lottery with the damp track. Certainly more cars off the track than overtaking 😅

Max' car miles faster than anything else out there. Even on this xxxx track. Got caught out in the conditions, otherwise he would have been out front again.

Well done Perez, faultless race. Even with the token penalty.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Could see Max' RB sail away in the distance there, win by a couple of laps. With Perez back down with the rest.

The budget hoopla this week should be entertaining 😇

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
The budget thing will be a storm in a teacup and end up very quiet most likely, I think.

Seems to be the way if something has been done against the rules (allegedly) it ends up going away after a stern talking to and promise to not do it again.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Agreed on the crap race comment. That was a snoozefest. Great drive from Perez, held on to that well. I thought for sure Leclerc had him. Awful drives from Hamilton, Max & Russell. Why was the world waiting for an hour for the race to start? Did Pirelli forget to bring full wets with them or something? Moto GP & Moto2 started yesterday in way worse conditions.

The biggest story is the RB budget. It's wildly obvious they have went over the cap. They brought upgrade after upgrade getting them so far ahead I'm not sure how a fine justifies the gains or then everyone would do it. But the FIA have got soft and don't enforce their own rules so nothing will happen. It's going to be the usual story. It's unfortunate for F1

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Nothing is announced yet, but as you say, they've obviously developed much more than any other team.

But what is being discussed this week is the 2021 budget. Not the 2022 budget. The latter won't be on the table until end of 2023 by the rate these things appear to be going.

It's a legal mess. If FIA try to take strong public action then RB would/could drag them through the courts. And FIA simply don't have the funds for that. So it will likely be some secret settlement, just like the Ferrari engine thing.

The only thing that might change it would be if Ferrari or Mercedes decided to walk over it. But I'm not sure even that would do it to be honest. And I don't think they would anyway.

The big difference is in the case of Ferrari FIA could at least "clarify" the rules to make sure that particular circumvention was not used from then on. Same with RB "bendy wings" last year, or "bendy floors" this year.

That is not the case with a budget cap. All the development they have brought, and all the advantage they have gained - 2021, 2022, going into 2023. That is still there. It cannot be "undone".

Other teams have no chance of catching up without the same overspend themselves.

I saw somewhere that a 10m overspend is equivalent to 100 more engineers. That's obviously significant.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
He was passing everyone like they were standing still. He would have passed Perez too had he not locked up and left the track. I don't think he spent more than a couple of corners behind most cars, and made up a couple of seconds to the next one up inside a lap.

KevM

RMS Regular
The Red Bull budget over-spend sounds a bit like....

1664817096152.png

ali619

RMS Regular
Happy for the result for Perez. Glad he showed that he can shine when given the chance, really hope this pushes him got a championship attempt next season.

Ricardo done well, but still not enough. Shows how inconsistent he is.

Norris is showing his real strength holding back Max, although the circuit isn't great for over takes.

Latfi, just doing Latfi things.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Poor race with some uncharacteristic mistakes from the too guys, was surprised that Max wasn't investigated for that VSC maneuver, was extremely rash. Lando joked "thats a 20 place grid penalty next race after the race".

Perez had a solid drive, although sloppy on the SC infringements and lucky to get away with it, he did well to pull the gap to be fair.

Again reliant on mistakes from Max in Japan to make it remotely interesting.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The five second penalty was issued when Charles was still on his gear box and looked like he might get past. It was only later Charles backed off and Perez got the cap.

Personally I think that was appropriate for the deed. If wasn't a big deal.

I still don't understand how Max got away with not getting a penalty though. That was as blatant and dangerous as it gets. And nothing. Zilch. Nada. Just keep carrying on.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
The five second penalty was issued when Charles was still on his gear box and looked like he might get past. It was only later Charles backed off and Perez got the cap.

Personally I think that was appropriate for the deed. If wasn't a big deal.

I still don't understand how Max got away with not getting a penalty though. That was as blatant and dangerous as it gets. And nothing. Zilch. Nada. Just keep carrying on.

Passed under a VSC at the end of the day albeit a very small margin. Certainly warranted investigating anyway. Pretty sure the lower runners would have been penaltised and probably got points on the licence

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
The 5 second penalty wasn't issued until 2 hours after the race.
Would be interesting to know what the penalty would have been if 5 seconds would have changed the winner of the race.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Perez got told by the team he would be penalised by five seconds after the race and had better get a move on. Soon after he pulled the gap (or Charles ran out of tyres, probably a bit of both).

The technical application of the penalty came after the race, yes. That's just how these things are done. But it was known while Charles and Perez were still battling on track that it was coming.

Either way, I think it was an appropriate penalty for Perez.

Max was a different story, lol. But Max is Max, he's not racing to the same rules as anyone else. Nothing new there.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Budget cap certification results for 2021 season have been delayed - again. For the fourth time.

It will now be announced on Monday, after the Suzuka weekend.

So more horse trading behind the scenes then?