F1 2022

Bryan

RMS Regular
You could argue dropping back would have been worth a risk given Max had little to gain in terms of meaningful points but you can only hold up cars so much with DRS. LeClerc might have passed him and caused more drama.

Given LeClercs disastrous season, I don't you can put the blame on Max that Perez lost.

There was a point after the pit stops where they both were on the track at the same time. All he had to do was let Perez past and both of them could sail off into the sunset.

I'm pleased, though, that LeClerc did get second. Really enjoyed the Hamilton/Perez battle too. I'm sure Hamilton was thinking, "Remember last year?!"

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is winning the driver's and constructor's championships. Nobody really cares who got runner up except the person who gets the thing to put on the shelf.

So it doesn't really matter in the end, to the team or anyone else. It's not like anyone would have thrown a big party at RB if Perez had got second.

Max doesn't give a single one for sure. But that's not news. And it's a big part of why he now has two number one trophies to his name.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
It matters in terms of prize money but not much else.

Alfa Romeo were delighted to beat Aston Martin to sixth in the constructors.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Much hasn't been said about Ross Brawns retirement. What a freaking grade-A legend. My favorite F1 car of all time

1669066539803.png

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is winning the driver's and constructor's championships. Nobody really cares who got runner up except the person who gets the thing to put on the shelf.

So it doesn't really matter in the end, to the team or anyone else. It's not like anyone would have thrown a big party at RB if Perez had got second.

Max doesn't give a single one for sure. But that's not news. And it's a big part of why he now has two number one trophies to his name.
Well it matters for team harmony. They could have done with showing Perez that they care about him.
At the minute they just seem to be constantly beating him down.

I think next year is going to be a very tight championship battle, they will need Perez to take some hits to help the team. I think this would have been a pain free way to show him some love.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I think next year is going to be a very tight championship battle, they will need Perez to take some hits to help the team. I think this would have been a pain free way to show him some love.
I think any other team might agree with you but RB seem to only care about Max, if Perez doesnt play the Max game he could be replaced.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Well it matters for team harmony. They could have done with showing Perez that they care about him.
At the minute they just seem to be constantly beating him down.

Perez was already playing a good team game, he won't forget how this played out this year, there will he be a time when Verstappen will need him to be compliant for his 2023 campain and he might not just get the response he expects or has gotten used to.
Perez doesnt have the same raw pace as his teammate but could sure make things difficult if he wanted to - which I hope he does do on principle alone

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
bets for next season then? I think Verstappen again, with Mercs closest challengers. Still think RB will have the edge, Newey understands the ground effects well and they'll have been working on the new car from mid-season when they knew they had it wrapped up

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I don’t think Max will have it all his own way again. The reduction in aero testing time for Red Bull will hopefully bring the top 3 together.
Plus Mercedes seem to know what the issue(s) are with their concept so they should be back to the front at each circuit.

McLaren will still need Norris to drag them on, Piastri is an unknown.

Gasly and Ocon could be interesting at Alpine. They have history lol

Alonso at Aston Martin will be drama-filled all season long.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Can't see anyone catching up with RB over winter but happy to be proven wrong. They have further developments already for this year which they just haven't needed to deploy, like a new lightweight chassis.

And they're not going to drop the ball on the budget either for this year. With it all wrapped up so early there's plenty of time to "make adjustments" if needed.

Not a clue if Mercedes or Ferrari will be able to step it up. You would hope so, but we will see in February/March I guess.

Will be interesting to see what direction Mercedes are going next year with the car. Drop the entire concept they used this year, or persevere with it?

I think there will be a lot of focus on getting the weight down on all cars. And obviously aero efficiency.

Don't know if there is anything they can do about engine performance within the development rules?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ferrari have said they had to turn their engine power down due to reliability issues.

I think you can change parts of your engine for reliability issues. So if they sort those out surely that means they can turn the power back up again?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, there seems to be a grey area around "reliability upgrades" for the engines being ok, but "performance upgrades" not being allowed...

Think RB have taken a few "reliability upgrades" as well?

No idea how that is all defined, or enforced.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The open secret is official.

Looks a lot like reserve driver without calling it that. Piling more pressure on Perez to tow the line.

I still don't get why Ric thinks he'll ever get a fair run against Max at RB. Even Webber was a bit non-plussed at the weekend. But Ric's call I suppose. Not like he had a lot of options in F1 sadly.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I wonder if Aston Martin would ditch Lance Stroll if Alonso absolutely trounces him and then requests a better calibre of teammate? Could they offer Ricciardo a 2024 seat?

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
He didn’t have many options but it feels like RB is the last car that suited him so he might be hoping he regains some form from going back there.