F10 Remote not present

no1dolan

RMS Member
Drives
520d
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help. I’ve got a 2014 520d
The remote have been acting up a bit recently batteries changed and all good.
mover last few weeks I keep getting error remote not present and have to put the fob up to driving column to get vehicle to start.
It takes quite a few presses for the central locking to work.
Same error on main key and spare

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks

KevM

RMS Regular
Are you using the correct battery? From memory, a CR 2025 will fit in a BMW fob, but it needs a CR 2450 (nearly twice as thick).

Last edited:

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I get this randomly from my Mini F55. Has been happening on and off for about a year and Mini have looked into it and can’t find any issue. I suspect a lose connection somewhere but getting to it would probably involve lots of work. I was told on the Mini there are two receivers for the signal, one near the gear stick and one in one of the back pillars. Probably the same for the BMW. When it’s bad it really does my head in and all I want is a normal key. To fit down on the presses to the start button I have found if you lock and unlock the car it resets itself and will normally start quicker. You might notice if yours is like mine that when you lock the car after it can’t find the key fob then it will do a funny sort of double lock sound. If mine is having a really bad day then after the car has started it will decide to tell me that it can’t find the key and won’t start the car!
Sorry I can’t be of more help

no1dolan

RMS Member
OP
N
Drives
520d
Are you using the correct battery? From memory, a CR 2025 will fit in a BMW fob, but it needs a CR 2450 (nearly twice as thick).
Thanks Kev that’s it sorted cheers!!
I get this randomly from my Mini F55. Has been happening on and off for about a year and Mini have looked into it and can’t find any issue. I suspect a lose connection somewhere but getting to it would probably involve lots of work. I was told on the Mini there are two receivers for the signal, one near the gear stick and one in one of the back pillars. Probably the same for the BMW. When it’s bad it really does my head in and all I want is a normal key. To fit down on the presses to the start button I have found if you lock and unlock the car it resets itself and will normally start quicker. You might notice if yours is like mine that when you lock the car after it can’t find the key fob then it will do a funny sort of double lock sound. If mine is having a really bad day then after the car has started it will decide to tell me that it can’t find the key and won’t start the car!
Sorry I can’t be of more help
Thanks I changed over battery even though I never got the battery low warning. Seems to be going ok
This, I fitted a new 2450 into my fob yesterday. Big fat yoke. £5 For two from helfrauds
Thanks paid them
A visit all sorted cheers