F15 X5 30D

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Sad to read this as we went in for a full set of pirellis yesterday on the x3 and came away with a full set of Bridgestone 🤣

Looking forward to pics of the new setup 🙂

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do you notice any difference in mpg with the tyre change?

I've only done 15 miles since. I'm not expecting any difference, didn't even consider it tbh.

Photos will follow when I get it washed at some stage. Not 100% convinced yet, need to see it clean I reckon. Car is bogging and wheels are just refurbished.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
How do you find it in comparison to the E70? Was considering one when i sell the golf, but budget creep has making me looking at F15's more :worried:.. The more modern tech/interior being the main driver i think!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Much nicer place to be than the E70. More modern, but then it is a more modern vehicle.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wheels fitted a few weeks ago, so thought I would take the opportunity this week to tackle the bodywork. The lower half the doors and skirts were covered in little orange specs, so a couple of goes with fallout and tar removers got rid of most. Could do with a clay and polish, but I’ll put that delight off for another day.

Also got another set of wheels with winter tyres. Frustratingly the wheels turned out to be reps, so I’m still deliberating what to do with them. Either a DIY refurb and accept what they are, or find a cheap set of oem wheels (inc sensors).

Still loving it. Very different to the Passat, and makes you appreciate the comfort and height when I get back into it.

Need to turn my attention to a towbar next to get ready for camping season.

A05EA335-EA4A-459D-8F45-11D16918F341.jpeg

0F942B21-A43D-4A1F-BA10-1071B579BFF7.jpeg

ADDDD89D-53FC-4AAB-ACD3-49C992F81D23.jpeg

A6BC6538-7DBF-41B8-B2D3-A56D75748079.jpeg

EE8CDE80-C4E3-49E8-8576-C2E7E175A1E6.jpeg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Wheels fitted a few weeks ago, so thought I would take the opportunity this week to tackle the bodywork. The lower half the doors and skirts were covered in little orange specs, so a couple of goes with fallout and tar removers got rid of most. Could do with a clay and polish, but I’ll put that delight off for another day.

Also got another set of wheels with winter tyres. Frustratingly the wheels turned out to be reps, so I’m still deliberating what to do with them. Either a DIY refurb and accept what they are, or find a cheap set of oem wheels (inc sensors).

Still loving it. Very different to the Passat, and makes you appreciate the comfort and height when I get back into it.

Need to turn my attention to a towbar next to get ready for camping season.

View attachment 391970

View attachment 391971

View attachment 391972

View attachment 391973

View attachment 391974
Maybe the angle of the pictures but are the wheels a very small dia? The gap from to top of the tyre to the arch looks huge

Reactions: B.M

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Maybe the angle of the pictures but are the wheels a very small dia? The gap from to top of the tyre to the arch looks huge

It’s a proper off-roader obviously!

Nope, standard size- 20”. You can actually get 19” wheels too, but they really are small. 21’s look well but I would miss the comfort!

Dave..

RMS Regular
It’s a proper off-roader obviously!

Nope, standard size- 20”. You can actually get 19” wheels too, but they really are small. 21’s look well but I would miss the comfort!
Obviously full 4x4 - what am I saying
Comfort comes first, its an age thing
:grinning:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
This is going to be as exciting as it gets on the modification front I’m afraid.

The aluminium trims on each side of the centre were badly marked when I collected the car. For some reason an X6 got leather topped trims here instead, and as they look much better they seemed like an obvious upgrade. Sadly it turns out that they are sort of made to order, and there’s a guy in America selling them for circa £700. So I decided to make do with the rough trims, but created a couple of saved searches for the part numbers on eBay. I’ve done this loads of times in the past for obscure parts, but have never got lucky. Then a couple of weeks ago an alert went off on the phone and a pair were listed in Lithuania for £28 each. An offer was made, and a few days later they landed for circa £50 delivered.

Bit of a stripping match to fit, but not as bad as expected. Delighted with them, they make the interior a bit more luxurious imo.

Before of the marked aluminium;

IMG_2939.jpeg

IMG_2940.jpeg

IMG_2941.jpeg

And after;

IMG_2943.jpeg

IMG_2944.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

Sadly they need an additional mount which I didn’t know about, so the front wobble about a bit of any force is applied to them. I’m going to have to see if I can find a pair, but it’s not the end of the world without.

IMG_2947.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpeg
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

eamon343

RMS Regular
Ive needed a few E36 bits recently and they have all came from Lithuania, and they have usually arrived faster than stuff from England

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The Lithuanians seem to buy all the crash damaged stuff and make a fortune breaking them for parts. Leather makes a massive difference there.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Did the same to our Q5 and does make a huge difference - bought several parts as well from Lithuania and I currently have my eye on a couple door cards with built in sun visors

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Also fitted a towbar in advance of a few camping trips. Picked up a detachable Witter one off Amazon Marketplace which was listed in “used- average” condition. Didn’t really think they would advertise a used towbar so took a punt. Sure enough it just had the odd minor chip from transport, but had never been fitted.

(I see they actually have another up now described as “as new” for £172 which was even cheaper than the £215 I paid, if anyone else is in the market for 1!)

Mastered the fitting of these now, I think this is the 6th I’ve done. Could do with 6 arms when refitting the bumper and getting it lined up, but it’s easier to plough on and hope for the best rather than having to explain it all to the wife or father in law.

For some reason the M Sport has a cut out on the bumper already, so no trimming necessary. Nice wee pivot on the plug plate too, so it swings up out of the way. All completely hidden when detached.

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

dddrrift

RMS Regular
my trims are similar to yours, all marked, and it doesnt take much to scratch them up. Have you the part numbers handy for the X6 trims? save me hoking through realoem? Thats a nice addition!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
For some reason the part numbers don’t come up on a realoem search. I’ll dig them out for you though.

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
You did really well with the leather trim - searched for ages and same as you it was coming up 600-1000! Makes a great difference

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I got my winter wheels refurbished a couple of weeks ago availing of the offer at Bodyworx. Not usually a fan of black wheels, but wanted to try something different to my usual gunmetal. Fitted them last week (to assist BMW with transfer case diagnosis) and actually much prefer the black to my summer wheels. They tie in far better with the black trim, grill etc and are a good contrast against the white.

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

I’m driving the Passat more than anything else these days which makes me appreciate this when I do actually drive it. Still a great big bus.

My only grievance is that I’m having minor issues with the brake pad sensors just. I fitted new pads and couldn’t get the sensor to reset. I ended up connecting across the terminals, but even then it came up to say the pads need changed in 600 miles now. Not sure if I’d just be safer replacing the sensor? Or would giving all contacts a good clean sort it?

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Looks really well with those rims. Your pic reminds me I must try and find a set of black roofbars for the X3.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I was using them for the bike but the Passat has taken over those duties, so the roof bars will be coming off soon. Handy for the roof box though.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
welcome to the black wheel club lol

pad life remaining needs reset with diagnostics and the sensor replaced if it was triggered before you will get rid of that on the dash.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
welcome to the black wheel club lol

pad life remaining needs reset with diagnostics and the sensor replaced if it was triggered before you will get rid of that on the dash.

No it was still showing 150 miles.