F30 BMW 3 Series anything too look out for?

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Hi all,

Really considering buying a 318/320D F series BMW, is there anything to look out for? Do I hold out for a Msport or is there much of a difference? any comments/criticisms on the Model are welcome.

thanks very much

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Nothing much apart from the usual timing chain issues of the N47, make sure it’s changed if the car has high miles and the idrive can get very trippy when it needs an update, it’ll keep resetting itself but the update sorts that.

Had mine for over 3 years now and collecting my second one next week, only bother I had in 3 years was the idrive needing the update, apart from that it’s been mechanically sound.

The SE/Sport are perfectly good cars and great value for money but my preference is the M Sport models as they look nicer and you get a decent amount of kit as standard, like your heated leather, nav etc.

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Rear lights get condensation and the diamond cut wheels corrode around the centre caps. Apart from that mine was pretty much faultless.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Make sure it has pro nav and go for a M Sport with the 8 speed ZF box.
Really like the idea of a manual though ,wont be buying a low mile example so don't want any issues with the auto box

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Auto would be nice If I was getting a fresh example , examples I'm looking at will be 60k-80k miles :worried:

colin84

RMS Regular
I believe the early models up to a certain year still had the timing chain issue. Might be worth checking out.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Check the steering rack doesn't knock because sweet baby jesus in bethlehem that shat is spensive :/

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Nothing much apart from the usual timing chain issues of the N47, make sure it’s changed if the car has high miles and the idrive can get very trippy when it needs an update, it’ll keep resetting itself but the update sorts that.

Had mine for over 3 years now and collecting my second one next week, only bother I had in 3 years was the idrive needing the update, apart from that it’s been mechanically sound.

The SE/Sport are perfectly good cars and great value for money but my preference is the M Sport models as they look nicer and you get a decent amount of kit as standard, like your heated leather, nav etc.

Heated seats isn’t standard on M Sports

Nav didn’t become standard until MY15.

There seems to be a lot of dogs on the market and the cars with the M Performance kits will demand a premium. Also if any dealer says the kit is genuine ask to see receipts as 99.9% of them are copies contrary to what the dealer will tell you.

Be careful of service history as well as it is entered into the idrive but its easy to get software that does this and can make it look like it has a FSH when it may not.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
But it is not fixed fella. You only get so much adjustment out of that and then it starts to bind. Its not a fix really.

The rack is flawed is the problem.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 B9.5
But it is not fixed fella. You only get so much adjustment out of that and then it starts to bind. Its not a fix really.

The rack is flawed is the problem.
The updated version from BMW? Don't know of anyone who's had a issue since fitting it.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
I have had 2 replacement racks in a year and a half of ownership bud.

This is the servotronic rack btw.

And, yes......it seems to fix the issue but as to whether it lasts is another question. 49k ours developed the fault that warranted a replacement under warranty. So you could either be lucky and get a car that had it replaced and you might get 50k, or be unlucky and get a car that someone has yoiked the adjustment bolt on to the limit of adjustablity and then be faced with a big replacement part bill.

So i think it is a perfectly valid "thing to look out for".............no?

49k failure on a 1600 odd quid rack is pish tbh.

And i don't believe it has actually been revised as people on F30 post are getting failures again after putting similar mileage on replacement racks.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Run Flats are the worst tyres ever developed, horrid things! M cars (ie M2 M3 M4 M5 etc, not one's with a wee M badge!) don't have them yet every other BMW has, you'd think it would be obvious to BMW themselves that they're crap.

If you want a car that feels sporty to drive the M Sport is worth it for the suspension and seats. The manual is a good one but so is the ZF auto. As above, heated seats are a must if it has leather and they're not standard. XDrive MSports have SE suspension for some reason?!?! Harmon Kardon is brilliant in them btw.

Not aware of weaknesses in them.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Keep an eye out for the LCI version, model update at january 2016. Updated light, and the 320d gets twin tail pipes.

The M Sport Plus pack gave you heated seats, privacy glass, performance brakes and Harman Kardon. Make sure it has the split fold rear seat (a £255 option when new - ask me how I know.....)

I'll have mine 4 years in Feb, and have only had a few minor niggles. Creaking door seals, repaired by BMW attaching ptfe tape to the frame. EGR needed replaced. Steering rack knocked, so various bits were replaced.

Try to get an LCI model, as the 320d changed to the B47 engine, that doesnt report any timing chain issues.

The alloys dont crack in the same way as the e90. BMW increased the aspect ratio of the tyres by 5%. The 18s are 225/45/18 as opposed to 225/40/18. Regarding the transfer cases, those issues seem to be associated with non-star rated tyres. They're not much more expensive than a normal branded tyre, so it's well worth keeping to the star rating if they keep the car right. A pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 assy 2 star rated were £137 each for the front, so not bad at all.

If you ho for an x-drive, see if you can pick up a set of AC Schnitzer springs, as they transform the car from the se suspension.

Oh,and if you can, go for an m sport over a sport. Nicer seats, steering wheel etc. etc.

Oh yeh, mine has the 8 speed of gearbox. Fantastic gearbox. Due an oil change around 60k, regardless what bmw advises, but itll keep it fresh for me for another few years.

Good luck.

Cooks

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
As long as you keep the auto box serviced you shouldn’t have any bother with it

Anyone decent you'd recommend for the servicing of the auto boxes? Did you get your last one serviced or was it a manual?