F80 m3 non comp vrs competition pack

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Get yourself on to https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/

The UK forum is full of good information and if you spread out to the wider US etc boards its a great resource for daily living, differences in the two and also any pros and cons from long time ownership.

All the yanks seem to modify there cars over above lowering etc, warranty on their side of the pond seems to hold up however seems to be a different story in the UK. Best bet is to stay close and friendly with your local dealer if you decide to modify alot lol

IMO id have either a non comp or a comp it all depends on the spec and condition etc IMO, if the cars well spec'd but not a comp pack it wouldnt put me off. The only thing that would push me to a comp pack is if it was a very good deal and also come resale the comp pack will hold its value that bit better. Plus the seats too, they are pretty cool with the back cut outs :grinning:

dartagnan

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi Q7
So what your saying then is stick to Audi as a bmw will break down .😛
May I politely disagree with that assumption 😀
I have always wanted a full fat Range Rover but apart from the minor matter of not being able to afford one I have always said that I wouldn't have one due to the reliability issues so when changing my car, after a huge amount of research and Youtube I bought a new Audi Q7.
As I was sat on the hard shoulder of the M6, at night in the p**ing rain and a howling wind just short of Gretna on my return to NI after picking it up across the water I thought "Well that went well then". :joy:
I had had the car for one week and it took Audi nearly two weeks to resolve the issue with the assistance of Germany before I took possession of it again. To be fair to Audi I did get financial compo and I am still in love with the motor.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I've owned both F80 comp pack and non-comp pack.

The difference is night and day, two completely different driving cars. Find the extra and buy the Competition Pack car.

Main differences I find is the comp pack will not tramline everywhere and doesn't have the TC light flickering any time you put the boot down. Far more solid and stable on the road. Plus the seats and wheels are a nicer place to be.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
I’ve driven both and preferred the non comp. found the seats terrible in the comp and tbh it felt slower. The early non comp felt more lively.

Drive both and make up your mind as everyone is different.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I’ve driven both and preferred the non comp. found the seats terrible in the comp and tbh it felt slower. The early non comp felt more lively.

Drive both and make up your mind as everyone is different.

The car you drove must've been off a cylinder Steven :yum

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
Early non comps are very different to later facelift non comps.

As said, go test drive what's in budget and buy based on spec, condition and what works for you. There's no right or wrong answer..

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
the upgraded performance features of the competition pack car are absolutely essential if you want to be truely competitive in competitions, for example the daily commute competition, stuck in traffic competition, Sunday drive competition, going to Tesco competition etc.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Lol

Well I’ve said my piece, I did not like the ‘normal’ car at all and drive several trying to but just couldn’t.

As per the thread on my own car I was persuaded to try comp car guaranteed that it was very different. Glad I did because I still believe it’s basically a whole different car !

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
Honestly my worry about owning an m3 is the likelihood of me binning it into the nearest street lamp or worse a field due to my severe lack of driver ability .
To make matters a lot worse my friend laughed today when I sent him the pictures of the m3 I have been looking at and sent me 3 photos of a lovely spec rs3 at extremely good money ,to be honest I said to him not a month ago I wish I could get one just like it for the money it’s for sale for .Two totally different cars that’s for sure .

MarkM

RMS Regular
Honestly my worry about owning an m3 is the likelihood of me binning it into the nearest street lamp or worse a field due to my severe lack of driver ability .
To make matters a lot worse my friend laughed today when I sent him the pictures of the m3 I have been looking at and sent me 3 photos of a lovely spec rs3 at extremely good money ,to be honest I said to him not a month ago I wish I could get one just like it for the money it’s for sale for .Two totally different cars that’s for sure .

My M4 is a big pussy cat, yes, you need to have your wits about you but when it steps out it’s progressive and easy to pull back, I find unless the tyres are stone cold, you have to do it deliberately, there’s a huge amount of grip there as long as you don’t just mash the throttle!
It’s my first rwd car since the 350Z, I sold that in 2008, really enjoying being back

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Honestly my worry about owning an m3 is the likelihood of me binning it into the nearest street lamp or worse a field due to my severe lack of driver ability.

Pretty sure I regularly see old cnuts driving these sorts of high powered cars, so long as you're not acting the maggot then you shouldn't be worried about binning it.

If it were me, I'd be swinging her out and round plenty of chances I get lol, the RS6 power delivery can provide snap oversteer as iirc they can send 80% of the power to the rear. So not always a case of AWD being boring

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I must be the only one who drove a comp M3 and went mah it’s alright. I think the only M3 I genuinely love is @chris_b its perfect and one of my favourite cars on the road.

I wouldn’t rule out a RS3

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I must be the only one who drove a comp M3 and went mah it’s alright. I think the only M3 I genuinely love is @chris_b its perfect and one of my favourite cars on the road.

I wouldn’t rule out a RS3
Everyone likes different things Jonny. What I will say of the F80 more so than any generation before it, you need to have everything switched off and drive on the paddles in sport plus to ‘wake’ the car up. It’s actually quite astonishing how different it can be considering it doesn’t alter Hp like the old E60 M5

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Everyone likes different things Jonny. What I will say of the F80 more so than any generation before it, you need to have everything switched off and drive on the paddles in sport plus to ‘wake’ the car up. It’s actually quite astonishing how different it can be considering it doesn’t alter Hp like the old E60 M5

Totally agree Chris on we all like different things. I love certain cars but I know people who think they aren’t great but it’s what makes us all engage or have banter lol. If I turned everything off it would be a very quick call to the insurance company lol

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I suspect the traction control switch isn't connected to anything in my car, wet or dry, junctions can be exited with wheels spinning and everyone grinnin'.

I even had the rear slide out (in the wet mind you) with a bit of pedal action on a straight road at 15mph. Just thought anyone looking was probably wondering who the bellend was, rather than someone just trying to get up to traffic speed. It settles down a lot as the speeds rise and feels way more composed than my megane or focus did.

The older non-comp cars have more 1800-2500rpm torque, which is why bbsboys felt livelier to him, but the comp makes ups for that with a power delivery that encourages a bit more revs.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I suspect the traction control switch isn't connected to anything in my car, wet or dry, junctions can be exited with wheels spinning and everyone grinnin'.

I even had the rear slide out (in the wet mind you) with a bit of pedal action on a straight road at 15mph. Just thought anyone looking was probably wondering who the bellend was, rather than someone just trying to get up to traffic speed. It settles down a lot as the speeds rise and feels way more composed than my megane or focus did.

The older non-comp cars have more 1800-2500rpm torque, which is why bbsboys felt livelier to him, but the comp makes ups for that with a power delivery that encourages a bit more revs.
You’ve not had them light up at 100 mph then yet 😆 got to love a B road lol

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
To make matters a lot worse my friend laughed today when I sent him the pictures of the m3 I have been looking at and sent me 3 photos of a lovely spec rs3 at extremely good money ,to be honest I said to him not a month ago I wish I could get one just like it for the money it’s for sale for .Two totally different cars that’s for sure

In that price bracket you have:
  • M3
  • RS4
  • RS3
  • Porsche Panamera
  • C63
My head is turned too.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
the upgraded performance features of the competition pack car are absolutely essential if you want to be truely competitive in competitions, for example the daily commute competition, stuck in traffic competition, Sunday drive competition, going to Tesco competition etc.

Have you driven both cars? This isn't a case of only seeing the extra enhancements on a track, it genuinely is a much better car in real world driving. For example the non-comp pack cars constantly have the traction control flickering, even in the dry. The comp pack cars noticeably do not do that. It's also a much smoother ride etc..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.