FD2 Dual MPH KPH Speedo for MOT?

Taipuaru

RMS Regular
Drives
FD2 Type R
Hi,

I'm sure this question has cropped up before, and I did a search, but couldn't find an answer.
My FD2 just failed its MOT for not having a dual MPH/KPH display.
How do my fellow NI FD2 owners get around this?

For others not in the know: It's a digital dash that has been converted from KPH to MPH on import.

Thanks

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Had this on a bike fail because I didn't know how to change the digital clock from mph to kph.
Don't get it.
They state its compulsory because of Rebublic.

No idea how mk6 golfs pass on this basis as they only show mph in analogue.

Country's coped on her side Sir.

Sorry I can't help your issue though

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
The FN and FK's allow you to swap from one to the other at the flick of a button so maybe there is cross comparable software or some upgrade you can perform to combat this. Few FD2 owners here , certainly enough who have previously owned them could share their experiences on the matter.

Taipuaru

RMS Regular
OP
Taipuaru
Drives
FD2 Type R
I bought a wee heads up display that connects to the ODB port and shows the correct km/h speed. I checked DVA regulations on speedometers and it should pass since it's powered by the car and not gps based. Re-test booked for the weekend, so will see how it goes.

pmk

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 8 AI400
You should be grand with the heads up displays. My old car radio had performance gauges which also had a speedo. That worked for mine.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
It's nothing to do with the Republic, its construction and build regulations.
Some vehicles are exempt, can't remember the details of it but I think it has to state it passed an IVA on the V5

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you can make it then you can get it tested in England. Not sure about the age of an FD2 but anything over 10 years old is exempt from all the compliance stuff.

It's only here in NI they insist on compliance things even on old cars where some or all of it might not even have applied when they were made 🙈

Not a clue why the regulations are different in different parts of the same country... Hard to imagine how regulations in a different country would apply here... Hardly a safety issue is it?

Anyway, it is what it is...

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
If you can make it then you can get it tested in England. Not sure about the age of an FD2 but anything over 10 years old is exempt from all the compliance stuff.

It's only here in NI they insist on compliance things even on old cars where some or all of it might not even have applied when they were made 🙈

Not a clue why the regulations are different in different parts of the same country... Hard to imagine how regulations in a different country would apply here... Hardly a safety issue is it?

Its in the VOSA regulations, but as with may things in Great Britain, they choose what applies to them which gives the least hassle and most money. I've even heard of Volvo's being failed for headlight wipers not working! Not washers, not HID related - wipers!

I do agree it is a stupid regulation, but someone, somewhere, got paid a lot of money to come up with it lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's nothing to do with the Republic, its construction and build regulations.
Some vehicles are exempt, can't remember the details of it but I think it has to state it passed an IVA on the V5

It is not a requirement on the mainland.

It is here because we have a land border with Ireland who use metric speeds etc is it not ?

I think it came about around in the 80's ?

Everyone should still be thankful there are no cat tests etc here...sooner or later it will reappear though, and **** a lot of people up.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
It is not a requirement on the mainland.

It is here because we have a land border with Ireland who use metric speeds etc is it not ?

I think it came about around in the 80's ?

Everyone should still be thankful there are no cat tests etc here...sooner or later it will reappear though, and **** a lot of people up.
Requirement in GB as well, just not enforced. Neither is safety glass in side windows.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Requirement in GB as well, just not enforced. Neither is safety glass in side windows.

I've never seen it in any MOT manual over there ? In fact pretty sure it's only recently they have had to actually have a working speedo there ! lol

This probably won't copy n paste well....

"
You must check the speedometer of vehicles first used on or after 1 October 1937 with a maximum speed above 25mph. You do not need to check Class 3 vehicles.

If a road test is needed, for example to carry out a decelerometer test, you must check whilst driving that the speedometer is working.

If a road test is not necessary, you should only reject a speedometer if it’s clearly not working.

Speedometers do not need to be lit on:

• vehicles with no front or rear position lamps
  • vehicles that have front or rear positions lamps that are permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
You can accept a tachograph as an alternative to a speedometer if it satisfies the requirements of this inspection.

DefectCategory
:innocent: Speedometer not fitted where one is requiredMajor
(b) Speedometer:

(i) operation impaired
(ii) not working

Minor
Major
(c) Speedometer:

(i) not sufficiently illuminated
(ii) not illuminated

Minor
Major"
Above is I think from 2018 for England etc

This is from 2021 manual online for England etc

mot speedo 2021.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

The wording is just a little bit different about the "glass" for side windows.

English manual states safety glazing....ours states safety glass. Which is just enough to cause annoyance and inflexibility.

Colin Boyd

RMS Member
Drives
Accord EuroR
Hi,

I'm sure this question has cropped up before, and I did a search, but couldn't find an answer.
My FD2 just failed its MOT for not having a dual MPH/KPH display.
How do my fellow NI FD2 owners get around this?

For others not in the know: It's a digital dash that has been converted from KPH to MPH on import.

Thanks
What did you do for the headlight washers for the HID's?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is, but all that conformance stuff is waved in England on vehicles over ten years old.

MoT works differently there anyway.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
View attachment 341832
The construction and use regs says its required for all of uk.

C&U are not the same as the basic brief MOT check though.

C&U are the underlying legal requirements and far more in depth which would be impossible to fully enforce/check in their entirety in a 20 minute MOT test.

Hence MOT just check a few basic safety related items.

Joe 90

RMS Regular
The mot is not just a few basic safety items. The mot is taken from the legislation and regulations in law. The actual manual states that its only for guidance. It says in the manual (the manual is not a legal interpretation of regulations, therefore is to be taken as guidance only and does not cover all the requirements of all the vehicles inspected). The final decisions comes from the regs if in doubt.
Screenshot_20211118-221346_Drive.jpg

Joe 90

RMS Regular

Thats wrong. Its not a matter of Northern Ireland insisting on things that didn't apply when a car was made.
All cars have to comply with UK legislation and all cars manufactured for the UK market do comply. The problem is when you import a car that wasn't built for the UK market that was built to different legislation.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's not the point though.

The point is all the conformance stuff is waived in England for cars over ten years old. That's all the petty stuff like speedo, etc. As cars get older it gets more difficult to source components, especially anything to do with RHD/UK specific as that's the first to go, and it might simply not be available any more.

But that's not the case in NI. Have several examples of cars that pass MoT in England no problem at all, but refused MoT here because of petty pointless stuff like the above. And yes, it's legal to get the MoT in England instead.

There is no safety issue here, all the safety stuff still applies.

This is normal practice in many countries, not just England. But not in NI.

Anyway, as mentioned, it's a bureaucratic decision so common sense doesn't apply :innocent:

Joe 90

RMS Regular
The point i made was you were saying that legislation was some how being applied in NI after cars were built and couldn't be met and showed a monkey covering his face making out it was stupid. You are misinforming people.
That's not how it works. Legislation is made in law and then manufactures meet the legislation. If someone decides to import a car that was built to a different legislation then thats their problem to meet it. Why would uk spec cars have to meet rules and then you could buy a car in that doesn't have too.
And if a car was built in Japan without a rear fog and imported to England, just coz its over 10 years old doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It still requires a rear fog light to be fitted if it falls into the age for a rear fog light because legislation says so.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The mot is not just a few basic safety items. The mot is taken from the legislation and regulations in law. The actual manual states that its only for guidance. It says in the manual (the manual is not a legal interpretation of regulations, therefore is to be taken as guidance only and does not cover all the requirements of all the vehicles inspected). The final decisions comes from the regs if in doubt.

It really is, a quick basic 15 minute check. Nothing more. And not worth the paper it used to be written on either

I presume you've never had an MOT, or are aware of what is checked ?

Joe 90

RMS Regular
You'd be wrong to presume that I don't know what's tested.
I disagree, it keeps cars on the road to a safe standard. Without mot, tyres and brakes would never be checked till something happens.
Your car has to meet the legislation but if its built for the UK and hasnt been modified then it will meet the legislation.
The problem arises of modified cars and imports etc and extra checks is involved.
On top of that you do realise their is dates for abs, for engine lights, different emission tests for different years different efficiency for brakes of different years, years for cats required, years for tyre monitors etc.
I really don't think you understand what all is actually being checked on your car.

Last edited:

Taipuaru

RMS Regular
OP
Taipuaru
Drives
FD2 Type R
Since I got PM’d about this.. if someone needs Km/h clocks to get through the test, I used these:

Lazmin112 Head Up Display, STM32... Amazon product ASIN B08W36K9FK
Speed needs to be pulled from OBD (you can’t use GPS clocks).
Set it to Km/h and increase the ratio in the settings. Done.

The manual that comes with it isn’t the most helpful so if anybody has issues with the settings, let me know.