Ferrari GTO stolen on test drive

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Bit of a random one. Surely they would have established an identity before letting some random dude take it for a spin, lol?

Even more randomly, what was the dude thinking? Not like you could just hide away or sell on something like that?

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Agreed, I'd imagine you would be vetted before getting through the door of a dealership like that and certainly need to prove your identity and that you had your finances in place before getting behind the wheel.

111gsi

RMS Regular
Agreed, I'd imagine you would be vetted before getting through the door of a dealership like that and certainly need to prove your identity and that you had your finances in place before getting behind the wheel.
Also illustrates the classic car selling rule, never leave the viewer in the car with the key!

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Suppose the build up with e-mail and calls the dealer was just seeing pound signs and relaxed the ‘rules’ as such. Ferris brewlers day off came to mind when the car park attendants to theirs for a spin 😂 😂

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Read a post online where someone let their S3 out for a test drive and the guy never came back!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Suppose the build up with e-mail and calls the dealer was just seeing pound signs and relaxed the ‘rules’ as such. Ferris brewlers day off came to mind when the car park attendants to theirs for a spin 😂 😂
What country do you think this is? :p
3496536299_d8492d5b12.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No info on how it happened.

I always do my best to be mindful of where the key is in relation to my position. If I’m getting out for someone else to get in, I take the key with me then hand it over when back in etc.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I'm surprised with a car at that value he was even allowed to test drive it - I imagined vehicles with that price tag wouldn't even be bought for road driving.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My dad's friend had a car taken that way. I always get into the back... unless it's a known RMSer. Then they're thrown the keys and told to make sure it's warmed up before knocking it's pan in.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm surprised with a car at that value he was even allowed to test drive it - I imagined vehicles with that price tag wouldn't even be bought for road driving.

That was my thought too, surely with a car like that you wouldn't just go for a spin round the block and then pop over to the ATM for some notes to complete the purchase, lol.

You would expect getting professionals in for valuation, checking provenance, etc.?

The whole thing is just random. Even why do you leave a car like that in a dealership in the first place?

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Had been selling a bmw coupe few years back from the front drive a fellow called one evening and said car looked great could he take it for test drive Didn’t have anybody in house to keep an eye on the kids so I said not at minute he said sure he would leave his car as insurance as not coming back it was a Toyota starlet just laughed in his face.