Fiat 500 Door Woes

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat
Daughters car drivers handle came off in her hand last week - got a new handle for her and asked nephew who is an diesel fitter apprentice to fit it as I thought it would be straight forward for him - it now Appears he used cutters to remove the old lock and one of the connecting rods, now need this rod to allow her to open dooršŸ˜­
Any pointers or assistance to get relevant parts would be appreciated.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Diesel fitter says it all!

Probably easiest and best to just go to the dealer, bound to be only a few Ā£Ā£ each. Failing that, Panda parts are very interchangeable.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
You could have bought the repair kit from eBay instead of a new handle too. Common issue with them.

eBay or breakers be your best option.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Cheers guys for the heads-up - new handle came with a rod to open lock but not the one connected to the door handle which he snipped from his toolbox of hammers and cutters!!!!
Been trying to get through to Donnelly parts the last two days but no answer.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Cheers guys for the heads-up - new handle came with a rod to open lock but not the one connected to the door handle which he snipped from his toolbox of hammers and cutters!!!!
Been trying to get through to Donnelly parts the last two days but no answer.

Is this the boyo?

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Nope that's for a classic60's 500. Unfortunately

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Exact same thing happened my wifes 500 - Fiat were looking stupid money for a replacement. I got one on eBay for about Ā£35 and did it myself, it was a bit fiddly at times but got it done no bother. I followed this video on YouTube:

I think the new handle I bought actually came with the connecting rod he has no doubt snipped.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Cheers Gaz I ordered and received the replacement and unfortunately it comes with the rod he didn't bloody cut. Hoping @TheDaniel might be able to offer his expert advice

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
@fj1200aa Sorry that you are having trouble getting through, things are tight at the moment as they are in many places.

The repair hinge is only of use if the handle has broken at one side. Unfortunately if the handle comes off in your hand, it is a handle to replace. When replacing the handle, if the red tab on the lock itself is broken (which is common) there is no replacement. It then requires a full lock.

There are chrome handles & hinges always in stock. Brushed or black need to be ordered. The parts department is currently still open but we are operating on a skeleton staff.

Cheers.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Cheers Daniel for coming back to me,, thought you's boys might have been running on a lean crew.
Is it possible to order the rod which is connected
To the handle pull only?

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
There are 2 rods, one comes with the handle only the other comes separate. Depends which you need.

20210108_163628.jpg

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
i have made door handle rods before from wire coat hangers or thick welding rods.