Fibreglass Sub Enclosure

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ve been wrecking my brain this last few days trying to work out the best way to construct an enclosure for a newly purchased sub. The factory fitted sub comes in a plastic enclosure that sits next to the spare wheel, as shown;

42F98E54-2AB4-4559-95CC-CC6901AC0942.jpeg

My plan was to build up a box using MDF (I really only need the bottom half of the space), but it’s proving a bit of a balls to make templates of all the random apertures. I was wondering could I use the existing box to make a mould, then fabricate the new 1 to fit exactly. Anyone ever made a fibreglass box themselves? Or is it more hassle than it’s worth really?! There are a few guides online using a corner of the boot as the template, I assume for an existing box as a template you'd just tape it, then fibreglass on top?

Do you make the shell out of fibreglass then glass in an MDF top face to mount the sub in?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Do you make the shell out of fibreglass then glass in an MDF top face to mount the sub in?

Did it that way for mine, though made up MDF front first and did it in one go for first layer. Layered up after out of the car and had a screw in face on MDF for access.

IMAG4157-1024x715.jpg

1c182c74-7b42-4006-81db-193d13589859_copy_1280x960.jpg

6d5a43e7-1dcb-4a76-95f9-f04b00f72824_copy_1280x960.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Impressive. Was it handy enough or fairly time consuming?

I‘m now wondering could I use the existing box just, cut the top off and fibreglass a new top on. Need to get another look at it.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Fibreglassing bit was straightforward, hard to go too far wrong other than it being messy.

Hardest bit was actually cutting all the correct angles on the MDF to get good joints as the front and back sections were sitting angled.

Only other advice possibly is doing a resin mix that will "set" quick when doing vertical / overhang sections as the mat will want to fall/fold down until the resin goes off so need to keep an eye on it to be sure it stays where you want it.