Finding decent charge points...

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Folks,

I've a Peugeot e-2008 this week and wondering if there are any decent apps around to find charging points as the sat nav isn't showing a great deal of convenient options.

I'd it plugged into a free charger at the leisure centre earlier, but it wasn't generating much milage per hour and the 3-pin home charger isn't worth the trouble.

Cheers,
G

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Zap-Map is the goto one that most folks use. Tells you location and which type plus comments, reviews, etc.
Not all chargers have them but Chademo is a fast one.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ecar ni and easy go.

Theres a fast charger on most main routes in/out of Belfast. You'll find them on ecarni

Marc

RMS Moderator
There are 5 fast CCS chargers in N.Ireland last time I checked.

Apple Green Templepatrick
Shore road Petrol station beside Asda
Sprucefield Shopping Centre
Boucher Road at Homebase
One at bottom of Glenshane

This should take just less that an hour to get pretty much a full charge.

All the other on Street chargers take about 5 or 6 hours for a full charge.

I don’t think you will have much enjoyment your side of town without a home 7kw charger.

Last edited:

Marc

RMS Moderator
I just remembered I used one in Donnellys Moy before too
List below

A5C88597-F4F2-4562-A281-EC13444AC5C4.png
17F10F19-5274-49C1-9261-7F2FC14D2AD7.png

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Thanks for the replies.

Rural living and a lack of routine/regular commute renders EV very hard to live with for me personally. But I can definitely see them fitting into the lives of many.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The Boucher one is always flat out unless you go at random/early or late times. some times there can be 2 or 3 cars waiting to get on it lol, if it’s not free I drive on, for the sake of a few quid I’m not sitting in a queue for it!

Marc

RMS Moderator
The Boucher one is always flat out unless you go at random/early or late times. some times there can be 2 or 3 cars waiting to get on it lol, if it’s not free I drive on, for the sake of a few quid I’m not sitting in a queue for it!
Since getting my daily I have been able to pretty much get on street parking in Belfast for a couple of hours a couple of times a week so I’m never sat waiting on it charging, but the past few weeks my usual had been out of order, so choices are charge at home for a few quid, or spend more at the rapid charger station buying myself a coffee and waiting. I’m lucky enough that I can sit for 30 mins and break out the laptop and get some emails sorted before getting to or home from work when I feel like it on my commute,

I reckon if you weigh up how much you would spend on Petrol you would gladly plug in every night at home for all it costs.

I don’t even have a charger installed at home yet, and don’t think I will bother for now as the standard 13pin charger overnight leaves me with a full charge, and I try to not let it get less than 1/2 full before toping up the batteries.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lidl have 22kw chargers at some stores which is handy. Plug it in get the weekly shop done and come back out and its topped the car up for free. I've never seen this particular charger used by anyone else. You need to register with easygo though.

Some sainsburys have chargers too.

20201110_083234.jpg

I can't imagine an EV in the countryside with no proper charge point at home is the way they are intended to be used at all. Needs the proper charger @Graham

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Lidl have 22kw chargers at some stores which is handy. Plug it in get the weekly shop done and come back out and its topped the car up for free. I've never seen this particular charger used by anyone else. You need to register with easygo though.

Some sainsburys have chargers too.

View attachment 301635
I can't imagine an EV in the countryside with no proper charge point at home is the way they are intended to be used at all. Needs the proper charger @Graham
Yeah, agree, and knew they were only useful with a decent home charge point. Which I don't think I'll be able to get as a lead will have to lye on the ground of a communal area.

I'm hopeful a supplier will cut us regular motor writers a deal for one, and if they say they can install at mine, I'll likely do it as this may be the first EV we have had, but most certainly won't be the last.

Even the PHEV stuff now is so good at EV range, it's worth having a charger for.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Could you not put it through as a business cost? Might sound silly but if it’s a requirement to complete your job then this may help?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Could you not put it through as a business cost? Might sound silly but if it’s a requirement to complete your job then this may help?
Oh aye, it will be a business expense in full.

But always worth asking a few suppliers for a deal, or for free. It'd surprise many what I've been handed in the past when a return of coverage is promised, more so when print media was the norm, in fairness.

Myself and many colleagues who get the same cars, can provide an abundance of media coverage and promotion.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I hear Tesla have now started hogging the Boucher charger. Been told by 2 people now that they have seen sales men drive up, Put 2 on the charge then swap them over with 2 others and drive the charged ones back to the dealership. Supposedly they don’t have their own charger at the dealers? My wife has said she has drive past it 3 times this week and each time there is 2 Tesla’s at it. If it’s true that’s a joke. 😡

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Drove straight up to it and got a fill at 12 today. I did see a couple of hursts cars at it a few weeks ago though

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Hursts have their own Chargers but I’d say with the increase in cars now they are probably using them too. Not the fairest of moves but I suppose that’s the way of the world these days.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I hear Tesla have now started hogging the Boucher charger. Been told by 2 people now that they have seen sales men drive up, Put 2 on the charge then swap them over with 2 others and drive the charged ones back to the dealership. Supposedly they don’t have their own charger at the dealers? My wife has said she has drive past it 3 times this week and each time there is 2 Tesla’s at it. If it’s true that’s a joke. 😡

I think you can only charge one at a time, but besides the point. I think for public chargers the sooner they start charging 25/30pence per kw will mean 99% of people will charge at home allowing the public chargers to be used only when really needed. It will deffo drive me to use the charge at home at half the price when this happens, and only using the public chargers if I’m in dire need to get somewhere out of range.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
You can use the slow charger and rapid at the same time I think? There’s was a golf and an e tron on it earlier when I went over

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah you should be able to. First time I tried it it didn't work and I thought it was because the guy next to me in a Taycan was using all available capacity. Emailed them and they said it should have worked, was just me being stupid.

Tbh even after doing it a few times I still struggle to get it going!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Who actually owns the chargers ?

Local council or something ? Maybe put in a complaint

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
As much as I love our EV I don't think are are really viable unless you've a home or work charger. People sitting queued to then sit for a few hours an charge for free need their head looked at if they can charge at home. It's 6 quid to fully charge mine. Ecarni has really fallen off a cliff the past few months. 50 percent plus out of action some of them for a year plus (antrim Castle Gardens).

big cyril

RMS Regular
Agree, our e-tron has done over 3k miles, at the start I tried out the public chargers to make sure I knew how they worked but tbh it only ever gets charged at home.
I know I could save a few quid but the time is more important.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I've 2 separate ecar chargers both with 800 metres of our house. Would have gone to them then out for a run for a no time wasting charge. Both bust for months now. Definitely couldn't rely on them.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yep the one at cairnshill park and ride has also been out of order for at least a year, probably 2

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yep the one at cairnshill park and ride has also been out of order for at least a year, probably 2

Must be council owned then...typical zero maintenance lol Or they realised they cost too much in electric so leave them broke.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They're EU funded. Or so it says on the sticker on the side of them anyway.

Can roughly get about half a charge at the shops while I grab the groceries. That should near enough do us the week but can top up at home if needed. Still playing it by ear though. Fortunately boucher is about 5 mins from the house so if I have a free hour I can check the app, nip down and fill it and get the laptop out, or go for a walk.

Unfortunately last week that walk took me via Smyths where I spent £30 on stretchy velociraptors for the boys so might have to reassess the route.