Fire damaged 2 post lift

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Uncle had a fire in his garage.
He had an old screw type 2 post lift there (was working fine). 20210405_162114.jpg 20210405_162056.jpg 20210405_162127.jpg 20210405_162129.jpg
Its been extensively damaged.
Electric panel and motor both took a lot of heat and flames. Most likely both need replaced.

The screws look OK and he thinks it has brass load nuts so should be OK.

Does anyone want a project? Or can use for spares?
ÂŁ80 and you have to pickup.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
Small world, I work with your uncle. He was showing me the video the other day. Frightening!
Aye. Scary.
Its definitely opened my eyes to how sanitised we've become to the devastation a fire can cause.
Its made me a bit paranoid, which is probably how we should all be - but we're all living in a false sense of security because it happens so rarely nowadays.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Aye. Scary.
Its definitely opened my eyes to how sanitised we've become to the devastation a fire can cause.
Its made me a bit paranoid, which is probably how we should all be - but we're all living in a false sense of security because it happens so rarely nowadays.
For that garage to be in that condition someone has done very well to keep it under control.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye. Scary.

At least he got the other cars out in time!

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
For that garage to be in that condition someone has done very well to keep it under control.
Aye. The fire brigade were there amazingly quick. The other side got the worst of it...
Screenshot_20210406-104629_Photos.jpg

I had a fixed wheel bike there. It had an aluminium frame and all that was left was the steel crank axle and brake calipers. Crazy heat
At least he got the other cars out in time!
One of thems now in my shed, doing my head in 🤣

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Any idea what started or caused it ?

Surprising how few people would have smoke alarms in various domestic premises. Many can easily be linked to alarm systems these days for remote alerts.

Mind you...the one I have tends to go faulty every 3 months lol

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
Any idea what started or caused it ?

Surprising how few people would have smoke alarms in various domestic premises. Many can easily be linked to alarm systems these days for remote alerts.

Mind you...the one I have tends to go faulty every 3 months lol
Yeah it was accidental. Don't want to say any more.
But 1st things I bought after I seen the devastation was 3 smoke alarms and 2 fire extinguishers for the shed!

davyk31

RMS Regular
So talking of smoke alarms for a shed or garage, what is recommended that could sound an alert in a house if the garage is nearby but detached.

MarkM

RMS Regular
So talking of smoke alarms for a shed or garage, what is recommended that could sound an alert in a house if the garage is nearby but detached.

Two sensible choices as far as I can see, one is something like a google nest smoke alarm and gateway which alerts your phone but is very expensive, the other I found I’m wondering if it’ll work, 3 pack with an 800 foot range, if one goes off, they all go off, two in the garage and one in the house?
X-Sense Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm Detector with Over 820 ft Transmission Range, Replaceable Battery-Operated Mini Fire Alarm, Conforms to EN 14604 Standard, XS01-WR, 3-Pack Amazon product ASIN B08F2KD23G

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Ideally integrate it with your alarm or security system whatever that is so good and proper alerts are made.

No point recommending my alarm supplier.....as their damn smoke detector is unreliable ! lol Still in discussions with them about it but it's a slow process.

I think there are some CCTV systems that also offer thermal detection of a fire and can raise alerts ?

But when mine does work, much like the other app based stuff, it will sound both the alarms, and alert to my phone. And as I've also cameras outside and inside can verify any alerts via the camera

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Something I'm paranoid about as I've seen a few small fires start that could have got out of control very quickly. I've a full size extinguisher in the garage and a few small caravan type ones dotted around too. I have a bin in below my bench nearest my vice and all sorts goes in it, handy to just chuck things into etc. I was welding something in the vice and a blob of molten metal fell off the side of the bench and into the bin. It was only a few seconds before I realised the bin was on fire and grabbed the extinguisher but any more than 10 seconds and I reckon it would have taken hold. There is an oil fired central heating boiler in there too which I'm nervous about also.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Heating boiler is probably fine, but generally if doing any "hot works" as they call it, you need to be hanging about there for at least an hour to ensure nothing has sparked off somewhere without you noticing.

I set some steel wool fire once with an angle grinder about 20 odd years ago. Never even thought something like that would go up...but it really did ! and from just a few sparks.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Heating boiler is probably fine, but generally if doing any "hot works" as they call it, you need to be hanging about there for at least an hour to ensure nothing has sparked off somewhere without you noticing.

I set some steel wool fire once with an angle grinder about 20 odd years ago. Never even thought something like that would go up...but it really did ! and from just a few sparks.

Steel wool burns well, also pipe insulation goes up so fast it’s scary!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Yup there’s a trick about starting a camp fire with a battery and some wire wool.