Ford Ecoboost engine

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
A friend's focus with the ecoboost engine has just shat itself. The garage have said it's a new engine required or sell it for scrap. The car is in great condition - 6 years old with 60k, estate in blue with the S line kit. The garage said they'd buy it off him. What are his options for selling himself - who buys these as he wants to check the price against what he's offered. Thanks

A quick google tells me a replacement engine is about £1k plus fitting so say £2k all in, problem will be trying to get one in NI.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
It's been an issue with the earlier ecoboosts failing a water line which overheats the engine and it happens very quickly. Ford changed the material on the line, if I remember it was a nylon type line changed to a rubber type, don't know if it was a recall though. Maybe worth checking.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A friend's focus with the ecoboost engine has just shat itself. The garage have said it's a new engine required or sell it for scrap. The car is in great condition - 6 years old with 60k, estate in blue with the S line kit. The garage said they'd buy it off him. What are his options for selling himself - who buys these as he wants to check the price against what he's offered. Thanks

A quick google tells me a replacement engine is about £1k plus fitting so say £2k all in, problem will be trying to get one in NI.

And does he trust the garage ?

I doubt many would want to buy it needing an engine...and I'd be cautious of the diagnosis if the same garage giving the diagnosis is now saying they want to buy it.

So what exactly is wrong with it ?

Marc

RMS Moderator
Get him to call ford, know someone recently with a 2011 Focus and Ford fitted a new engine completely free under warranty as they have know issues.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
This is a known issue that Ford are aware of, there’s a fair chance they will cover it under warranty as Mark rightly said.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
He does trust the garage but I'd be a bit cautious to be honest. It lost oil pressure apaprently.

pkn

RMS Regular
Drives
Evora S / 159
These engines are timebombs - this Facebook group might be able to help if they run into warranty issues.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
These engines are timebombs - this Facebook group might be able to help if they run into warranty issues.

That's a good link. Some folks calling them "Ecoboom", lol.

Reactions: pkn

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
The mechanic offered him £1k so he's got a friend to pick it up to sell himself.

His wasn't related to the coolant pipe, that was changed under a recall a few years ago.