Ford Focus ST - ESP fault :(

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
Drives
FordFocusST
Hi everyone

I am new here. I’m really hoping someone can help because I’m feeling pretty upset about my car right now.

I have a Ford Focus ST, and I love it but currently we aren’t the best of friends lol. I’ll try and explain best I can

I noticed a knocking noise in the engine of my car to realise it was a loose air induction pipe. The day before I realised what the knocking was I was accelerating (not quickly), just away from junction and seen my ESP light on the dash come on, but I didn’t turn it off, quickly after I realised I had hardly any boost, so my car was now in limp mode. I tried pressing the ESP button but it didn’t do anything.

I searched up what the issue could be and found that it could be the MAF sensor, so I took it out and cleaned it with some contact spray and put it back, no difference. I kept the engine running and disconnected the MAF sensor to hear if there was a change in the engine note, which apparently means it’s the MAF sensor. I then thought the loose air induction pipe could also have made it break. I then had a look and tightened the jubilee clip where it seemed to be loose and it seemed to sort out the knocking noise. But the ESP system error still shower on the dash with the warning lights.

Believe it or not I am a delivery driver in my spare time and I use this car to do the deliveries lol! I have been driving it slowly whilst in limp mode but yesterday night it seemed to be drinking loads of petrol, much quicker than normal. But I didn’t really think much of it. But I put some more petrol in today and I could really notice how much it was drinking, i could also smell the petrol too.

Does anyone have any ideas? I want my car back to normal :worried:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Its likely a loose/damaged hose, maybe even damaged intercooler, most can be handy got to with the lower front grill off and undertrays. I had the same issue on mine a few years back, “ESP system fault” appeared on the dash and no boost, it had split a weld on the intercooler.

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
Ok, I know mine actually does have a slight leak in the inter cooler. But I’ve been making sure to top it up before I have a chance to take it to a welder. I’ve had a look under the bonnet and nothing seems loose. Do you think it’s unlikely to be the MAF sensor?

Mackers91

RMS Regular
I've had afew of these cars over the years and a dying battery can make them throw alsorts of wobblers, may be worth getting it checked. Have you scanned the car to see what if any codes it's logging?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Apologies, but what do you mean by top up your intercooler? If the intercooler is damaged, and causing an air leak, then I would say it’s the problem. Is it aftermarket or the original? I know when mine had the problem, it initially threw up MAF errors so I bought a brand new one from Ford and it didn’t make a difference, as obviously the fault was the hole in my intercooler.

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
Yeh I’ve had it scanned and it came up with loads of codes lol never easy in my life lol. Pretty sure the battery is ok though.
Apologies, but what do you mean by top up your intercooler? If the intercooler is damaged, and causing an air leak, then I would say it’s the problem. Is it aftermarket or the original? I know when mine had the problem, it initially threw up MAF errors so I bought a brand new one from Ford and it didn’t make a difference, as obviously the fault was the hole in my intercooler.
Oh, lol, my knowledge isn’t amazing with cars, I did mean there’s a leak in my radiator. I did have it checked over and that’s the only leak they said there was, whether or not they looked properly I’m not sure. The reason it makes me think it’s a MAF sensor is because there was no change in engine sound when I unplugged the sensor.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Can you recall any of the error codes? When I had the issue, unplugging the MAF sensor allowed me to drive it, without boost, but when I had cleared all the codes and plugged the MAF back in, it would cut out after a few seconds. It’s maybe worth seeing if you can temporarily borrow a MAF sensor to rule it out. Failing that, maybe get a leak test done as could be an air leak somewhere.

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
Can you recall any of the error codes? When I had the issue, unplugging the MAF sensor allowed me to drive it, without boost, but when I had cleared all the codes and plugged the MAF back in, it would cut out after a few seconds. It’s maybe worth seeing if you can temporarily borrow a MAF sensor to rule it out. Failing that, maybe get a leak test done as could be an air leak somewhere.
Ah, I think I read your post actually, slightly different issue with mine. You had a smoke test done right? I can’t recall the error codes no, but the guy did say it could be miscommunication with the traction control system?! Mine still runs with or without the sensor in. Yeh I’m going to buy one which comes tomorrow, if it doesn’t change anything I’ll return it

Gambit

RMS Regular
The reason it runs same with MAF connected or not is because it's already running in limp mode so doesnt make a difference.

I'd take it to a guy who knows what they are doing and let him assess it.

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
P0102

P0458

P0079

P0076

P0245

these are all the error codes I get

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
Lucky you. I was never that lucky with any of them I owned when it came to things going wrong. 😂😂. Brilliant car enjoy.
Ah I wasn’t so lucky lol. It worked for a day and now the fuse keeps blowing every ten minutes. So now the garage is open again after the holidays it’s going in. I’ll let everyone know what the problem is when I know

gsmith

RMS Regular
The abs module can be very troublesome although it will usually throw up an esp system fault on the dials. When it happened to me the esp light stayed on and it had 3/4 fault codes and wouldn’t boost. My first one every possible common fault that could go wrong went wrong. Still wouldn’t put me of buying another one.

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
The abs module can be very troublesome although it will usually throw up an esp system fault on the dials. When it happened to me the esp light stayed on and it had 3/4 fault codes and wouldn’t boost. My first one every possible common fault that could go wrong went wrong. Still wouldn’t put me of buying another one.
Haha!! I showed my girlfriend your reply and said ‘look it’s not just me!’ Lol. You saying it wouldn’t put you off buying another one lol. This is my second one

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
I’ve had 3 of them 😂😂. Let us know how you get on.
Haha!! I’ll be the same I reckon, all about a car that puts a smile on your face... when it’s working! Well apparently it was a leaking boost pipe! But I don’t pick it up until tomorrow. I personally think I’ll be driving it back on the motorway and it’ll **** up again lol. But we will see. I’ve only had it completely working for I’d say a week since I bought it lol! But that week is worth it

gsmith

RMS Regular
If you’ve any more issues there’s plenty of us on here that have owned them. If you need anyone else to work on it. There’s a few guys I know of that know there way around them very well. 👍🏻👍🏻

Obeymotoring

RMS Member
OP
Obeymotoring
Drives
FordFocusST
If you’ve any more issues there’s plenty of us on here that have owned them. If you need anyone else to work on it. There’s a few guys I know of that know there way around them very well. 👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks mate! If you could let me know if people around the bristol/gloucester area that would amazing thank you!

I’m still having the same issue, keeps blowing the 35 fuse. Kept replacing the fuse but now it just blows as soon as I turn the engine on, argh.

So I do think I need someone that knows their way around an St definitely

Thinking it might be an electrical fault somewhere 🤷🤦‍♂️

Gambit

RMS Regular
Thanks mate! If you could let me know if people around the bristol/gloucester area that would amazing thank you!

I’m still having the same issue, keeps blowing the 35 fuse. Kept replacing the fuse but now it just blows as soon as I turn the engine on, argh.

So I do think I need someone that knows their way around an St definitely

Thinking it might be an electrical fault somewhere 🤷🤦‍♂️
random googling for focus ST fuse 35

easy one test if its your problem!