Ford Focus ST or FN2 Civic Type R?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lewis.

RMS Regular
Drives
S14 Zenki
Just wondering what everyone else thinks is the better car, or even which one they would prefer? They go for similar money with similar miles. Focus has a bit more BHP.

And what are your reasons?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I have had two st focus', a prefacelift st2 around 300bhp and a facelift mountune with 265bhp. Have driven a fair few fn2's and they are quite hard to compare.

the focus has a comfy set of sets and is a pleasure to drive and cruise in, not so good when you press on, box can be a little clumbsy for fast changes and you really feel the cars weight in the corners. Nightmare on fuel also and they have their fair share of problems such as power steering etc . The noise is fantastic though with the pops and bangs and they have a lovely power delivery.

Fn2 looks nicer imo, is more involving to drive and alot more practical. Quite gutless in comparison to the focus though and aren't as easy to tune

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I would think the FN2 would be a lot slower and uninteresting to drive plus the price of tax would put me off! :worried:

Still think it is a great looking car but IMO needs more power to keep up with the Golfs/Meganes/VXR's etc...

Gavlar

RMS Regular
FN2, ST's standard suspension feels so boaty it isn't even funny, alot of bodyroll in corners.

Miss 206

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR GT - Mil
I moved from an EP2 to the FN2 in July there (my first type r) & i am still getting used to the handling, steering & speed. There is constant involvement in the driving of it but provides excellent feedback! Not the best for traffic driving (which is what i do mostly :worried: ) but lots of fun when you get a clear run!!

Very comfortable & i find it very interesting & looks well :grinning: Not sorry i bought one!!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I've had my FN2 nearly 5 years now and while it has some compromises, it is the longest I have ever kept a car. It does a lot of things very well and I really can't think of what to change it to that isn't big bucks RS4/M3 etc.

Very quick FN2 review

Positives:

- still looks fresh
- very very practical (though only 2 rear belts) but loads of space and boot is awesome for dog/wellies/large pram
- goes better than people think (including the VXR that couldn't shake me two nights ago even though I had a full tank (yep surprised me too)
- vtec sound and revs, and the digital dash all make for a great experience. Focus is just too mundane imo.
- trademark snappy honda gearshift
- tax is only just over £200
- cheap to service, but does need valve clearances adjusted manually and rear discs are pricey
- GT model is well enough kitted out. Climate, Cruise etc. Non-GT doesn't even have air-con btw

Negatives:

- build quality - it's british, not japanese. There can be a lot of niggles though most should be sorted by now. Bit plasticky, paint is crap and chips easily with the shape of the front
- the ride is terrible - stiff yes, but also crashy. Eibach springs and an ABP fast road setup transform them though (ask Stoney on here)
- hard on fuel. I have never got above 30mpg. Average 26 ish but then I don't do long runs. ST would be worse I would imagine.
- could be quicker, could do with a diff (Champ White's have a diff and HIDs but are newer so more ££)

Focus just looks too Halfords to me sorry.

Lewis.

RMS Regular
OP
Lewis.
Drives
S14 Zenki
Nah, was just having a debate with a friend, and wanted to see what all you thought :grinning: But the teg will be staying till around April :grinning: Its always been the plan to keep it until i can insure a DC5, but it isnt looking likely so i might go for something different, S2000,, VXR, FN2 or maybe ST :grinning:

Always wanted a DC2 also, so i had to get one at some point lol! Think i love this teg to much to sell it though... :-/

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I would think the FN2 would be a lot slower and uninteresting to drive plus the price of tax would put me off! :worried:

Still think it is a great looking car but IMO needs more power to keep up with the Golfs/Meganes/VXR's etc...

Dude, FN2's certainly not uninteresting!! In terms of speed/power a lot of FN2's seem to make a bit more than 200bhp on the rollers as standard. Certainly in my real world driving there is not much in it with the typical hot hatches. That said if you get me in the wrong gear I will lose!

The interior really still does it for me
7379_civic_type_r.jpg

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Nah, was just having a debate with a friend, and wanted to see what all you thought :grinning: But the teg will be staying till around April :grinning: Its always been the plan to keep it until i can insure a DC5, but it isnt looking likely so i might go for something different, S2000,, VXR, FN2 or maybe ST :grinning:

Always wanted a DC2 also, so i had to get one at some point lol! Think i love this teg to much to sell it though... :-/

I went from a milano DC2 to a milano FN2. As much as I love the FN2, it is certainly no DC2. I wish I never sold the DC2 actually. But I think if I crashed the FN2 I would have more chance of surviving, plus with the need for baby seats and space for dogs it wins hands down as a daily car.

C4L

RMS Regular
I consider the focus ST more like a civic sport, not a type r. Looks massive and like a 'cool' family car, not a younger person hot hatch type...then again the FN2 looks more grown up than the ep3... and yes I know the ST is considerably quicker than a civic sport, but even looking at it bores me...

PAULW

RMS Regular
Civic is more reliable and in standard form the same performance wise. If you wanna remap the focus has a lot of potential.

Personally prefer the civic as looks so much better and from having one I know it's not hard to run. Hear horror mpg's from st's.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I'd personally buys a Golf GTI or a Megan 225. And i've driven neither.

Driven the FN2 and owned an ST2... and i stand by what i've said above.

corsacj

RMS Regular
interior is definitely nice in the fn2, but they just dont do it for me

Would rather a well sorted ek9 or dc2 tbh!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.