Ford Ranger 2.2 vs 3.2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ashloys

RMS Regular
Drives
MK4 Supra/Polo
Definitely the 3.2, fuel economy isn't great but neither is the 2.2. I would definitely go with the automatic gearbox in the Ranger too! I drive them quite a lot now as I sell quite a few.

If you can get one as a company car the tax savings are huge.

I can supply any make/model up pickup and will be pretty competitive. Feel free to torture me if anyone is looking at a new one!

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
Definitely the 3.2, fuel economy isn't great but neither is the 2.2. I would definitely go with the automatic gearbox in the Ranger too! I drive them quite a lot now as I sell quite a few.

I can supply any make/model up pickup and will be pretty competitive. Feel free to torture me if anyone is looking at a new one!

Interested in hearing more about this, feel free to PM me.

Dave..

RMS Regular

Send me a pm with your contact details please.

Bryan

RMS Regular

My company wouldn't let me due to emissions so I'm getting stung to the hills for a Tiguan.

ashloys

RMS Regular
Drives
MK4 Supra/Polo
My company wouldn't let me due to emissions so I'm getting stung to the hills for a Tiguan.
There are still some good alternatives in low emission diesels and hybrids at the minute! I'd be happy for you to torture me when you're due to change for some advice

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
Having spine to a lot of people in the last few days my heads wrecked lol
Everybodys telling me a 3.2 will cripple me on fuel for the mileage I'm doing on a daily basis and the 2.2 will be totally under powered unless remapped.

A good few people are recommending me to go for a van with a good towing capacity and good power. Plenty of comfort and for the small amount of towing I'll be doing a van might suit better.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Having spine to a lot of people in the last few days my heads wrecked lol
Everybodys telling me a 3.2 will cripple me on fuel for the mileage I'm doing on a daily basis and the 2.2 will be totally under powered unless remapped.

A good few people are recommending me to go for a van with a good towing capacity and good power. Plenty of comfort and for the small amount of towing I'll be doing a van might suit better.

Towing capacity is a minefield on vans, not all are the same.
To get a big towing capacity, you need to have a factory fit towbar, which is rare to be honest, most are dealer/retro fitted.
Retro fit Sprinters in work have a 5.5t gross train weight, whereas the factory fit have a 7.5t limit, so make sure to check the chassis plate on whatever van you are buying.

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
Work wagon is a 3.2 6 speed auto wildtrak, Towing the rib it does 15-16mpg on its own it’s lucky get 19mpg. It’s got a actually really nice auto box and tows 2,1/2 ton red bay no bother. Is quite tail happy with any weight in the back. Had 2 recalls already.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
We have the 2.2 and it trucks along rightly.

Also tried well with a horsebox and two horses attached

Personally wish we had of went for an Amarok as I found them a better driving and handling thing when we went shopping but they were all out of budget

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I have just sold mine and bought a van.

Suspension too harsh and tank too hard to keep filled...?

@RickyB was right in saying “Unless you really need one I wouldn’t drive one... Far better with a proper Jeep of some description but unless you really need a pickup...”

Most of the modern pickup offerings may be cool to look at, but they’re not great to live with as a daily...

Dave..

RMS Regular
Suspension too harsh and tank too hard to keep filled...?

@RickyB was right in saying “Unless you really need one I wouldn’t drive one... Far better with a proper Jeep of some description but unless you really need a pickup...”

Most of the modern pickup offerings may be cool to look at, but they’re not great to live with as a daily...
Hard on juice and very bouncy.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.