Frame stained white after washing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Was running tight for time this morning so took my bike to an attended car wash. The cleaner they used has lightly stained the alloy surfaces white! They claimed not to speak English when i pointed it out so long story short am not getting any recourse from them.
Will these marks come off with a proper hand clean or will the alloy surfaces need treated/repainted?

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Give it a wipe with white spirit if a wash doesn't shift them.
failing that, a tube of Autosol and a bit of elbow grease shouyld sort it.
Pain in the ass though as it was none of your doing.
The lesson there is DIY.
If the surfaces are laquered then it may have tinted it, which would be a nightmare. I'd be looking them to sort it. Hopefully its not that bad though, as most surfices are bare alloy.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I had the same issue with my polished alloys on a Bmw and had to go back and see the manager/owner as I got the same reception when asking the ‘staff’. I got the money for a re-ferb and to be honest I just bought a tube of autosol and cleaned it off myself

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
they have used a caustic based cleaner which has caused clouds and blooms in the soft alloy.

get the autosol (or any other metal polish) out, 0000 wire wool and enjoy!

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
they have used a caustic based cleaner which has caused clouds and blooms in the soft alloy.

get the autosol (or any other metal polish) out, 0000 wire wool and enjoy!

Big job Ross or light pressure only required?

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Big job Ross or light pressure only required?

Two, sore, black fingers and a cpl of hours soul destroyed. Although it does pick you up for a few seconds when you give it a buff and see the result. lol
I'd go with a cloth though, if the alloy is not tarnished. A bit less messy than the wire wool as you can turn the cloth round. :p

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Two, sore, black fingers and a cpl of hours soul destroyed. Although it does pick you up for a few seconds when you give it a buff and see the result. lol
I'd go with a cloth though, if the alloy is not tarnished. A bit less messy than the wire wool as you can turn the cloth round. :p

Okay local halfords dont have wool in stock so will have a crack at it with cloth first off. I take it a brillo pad is waaay too coarse?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Okay local halfords dont have wool in stock so will have a crack at it with cloth first off. I take it a brillo pad is waaay too coarse?
Yep! Don’t use Brillo pad!!!!

Use a cloth / Microfibre first - it mightn’t be too bad.
Use the wool if you need but wear vinyl / nitrile gloves to protect the paws!

colin84

RMS Regular
As big pump said, what they have used is caustic based, which people don't really have a clue about. It makes the vehicle easier for them to clean, but ends up stripping any protection from the paint, eventually making the paint look dull.

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Wish me luck - I have a habit of messing DIY jobs up a lot! :grinning:

IMG_20180603_161515.jpg

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Thanks lads world disaster averted! Probably not clear from the before and after pics but cleaned up rightly.
Once you start a job like that though you really need to start stripping the bike to do it right - God knows where I'd end up 8-|

Before
IMG_20180603_165440.jpg

After
IMG_20180603_170133.jpg

genman

G
good result. those car washes are a complete hit n miss... as said for speed some use heavy chemicals which corrode or stain everything alloy or bare metal

NotKG

Banned
this stuff done the same to my bike, a lot of elbow work to fix it, stained the paint and everything.
the rep was adament it was caus i used a bucket i' washed the car with, with car wash and wax, (ballscaus its thoroughly rinsed, and same wash mit goes through the washing machine)
said it was cross contamination.
i bought a new bucket, and new microfibre mitt and washed the wee 600 and fkn done it again.

2 yrs ago, havent used it since.
rep is a complete jerk too, demening and almost insulting, like everyone is stupid and cant wash a car.
how did i ever manage this long ?

IMG_20180701_214930162.jpg

genman

G
i had a similar issue with muc off. . its great for cleaning but ive just used regular car wash and spray degreaser if needed and not had an issue since

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.