Free Tax

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
The wife just bought a new car with free tax (low emissions).
Does she still need to take the tax book etc.. to the post office to tax it even though its free?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
For me, I just get a renewal reminder in the post as with any other car. You just choose to sorn or tax it. I do it online.
I didn't know about auto-renew ^ so must look at that one too.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
OP
P
Didn't know about the auto renew either.
Just need to chase the insurance company now for a certificate. Apparently they will email it in the next 30mins to 4hrs. 🤦‍♂️

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I've two cars that I pay tax by DD on and it renews annually itself, but didn't know/think this was an option on the free tax classic, takes 30secs to renew it online as just tick a box 12mth and that's it.
Is the free tax on newer cars permanent or for three years or something then subject to change?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've two cars that I pay tax by DD on and it renews annually itself, but didn't know/think this was an option on the free tax classic, takes 30secs to renew it online as just tick a box 12mth and that's it.
Is the free tax on newer cars permanent or for three years or something then subject to change?
I thought/hoped it was permanent. I have a 2016 hybrid at it's still free.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
It'll stay ÂŁ0, changes in VED cost/banding will only apply from the date of change