Freelander 2 winter hack

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
You must have a long driveway if you need a sat nav lol. I want to fit a phone cradle there where you’re putting the nav but would like it to be neat. Not that it probably matters that much

Haha well I don’t like empty spaces and Emma, not being a local uses her phone as nav a lot, so this should satisfy both, possibly! Something else for me to mess with too obviously lol

Not posh lol or it would have sat nav!!
This is what mine looks like, the screen does radio, aux inputs and phone displays so wouldn't be keen on binning it.
View attachment 308885

ah, not seen that before! You’d be into a head unit change to get nav then, double din adapter and a standard screen

Reactions: ALN

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yup, that's what I was told, huge carve up and big money ffs. :rolleyes:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Haha well I don’t like empty spaces and Emma, not being a local uses her phone as nav a lot, so this should satisfy both, possibly! Something else for me to mess with too obviously lol

ah, not seen that before! You’d be into a head unit change to get nav then, double din adapter and a standard screen
Will the nav come on automatically? See issue I have with the nav units is my phone is better. I think I can make a decent insert cradle end then fit a wireless charger in behind.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Will the nav come on automatically? See issue I have with the nav units is my phone is better. I think I can make a decent insert cradle end then fit a wireless charger in behind.

Yes, it’ll come on with the ignition and sleep when the car’s locked, I just like the convenience of built in navigation, I also like tomtom’s interface, I have proper nav in my car and van so never use my phone

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Yes, it’ll come on with the ignition and sleep when the car’s locked, I just like the convenience of built in navigation, I also like tomtom’s interface, I have proper nav in my car and van so never use my phone

That will be tidy enough then. I had initially planned to do similar and thermoform a casing to make it tidy but I realised I own a keek sat nav that is for the bin lol

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
That will be tidy enough then. I had initially planned to do similar and thermoform a casing to make it tidy but I realised I own a keek sat nav that is for the bin lol

Oh no guarantee this endeavour won’t end that way :joy:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Got new tyres on mine there the other day. Such an upgrade it’s unreal. Handling and ride quality transformed

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Got new tyres on mine there the other day. Such an upgrade it’s unreal. Handling and ride quality transformed

I’d love some new tyres, these are Greenlaners or something, to be fair they were good in the snow/ice but not happening this year anyway, they’re 6mm+ all round

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I was the same. The ones that came on mine were okay enough and got the guts of 10k out of them. The rears still had life in them but was some nexen brand or something. Never heard or Greenlaners either lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've just put my second set of Uniroyal All Season Expert 2's on, last ones lasted around 2 years and a lot of miles. Fantastic at dealing with water, ice and snow, good on mud too.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Initial pull the dash apart and stuff it in to see what it looks like approach going well
443C6532-E314-4763-B332-B42B6DFD63FB.jpeg

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
That looks amazing. Are you using double sided tape, or how do you plan on securing it?

Cheers

Cooks

:grinning: Not sure yet, I’ve put a couple of blobs of silicone top and bottom so it’ll stay in place while I mess with it, thinking of a couple of strap like brackets but not going to touch it now until the silicone has gone off :grinning:

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
:grinning: Not sure yet, I’ve put a couple of blobs of silicone top and bottom so it’ll stay in place while I mess with it, thinking of a couple of strap like brackets but not going to touch it now until the silicone has gone off :grinning:
I suppose a mechanical fixing would be best, given that you have to press the screen.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
I suppose a mechanical fixing would be best, given that you have to press the screen.

I’ve put some hot glue round it to stop vibrations and a piece of flat aluminium through a slot I made at the top and a screw at the bottom to pull it tight, the screw is behind the little rubber tray :grinning:
Wiring tomorrow and that’s that :grinning:

CCD72F63-D496-430A-ADE0-AEE3A5A349A8.jpeg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Awesome effort, that looks like a perfect fit 😎

Remember to update the maps before you stick it in the car!

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Awesome effort, that looks like a perfect fit 😎

Remember to update the maps before you stick it in the car!

thanks Ben, good call, currently updating :grinning:

Few minor jobs while I wait for it
Piggyback fuse carrier and earthed to the airbag mount with a Toyota double USB socket, once I get a dash cam that’ll be easy power.

44CC9641-54CC-456E-B58A-4098EE4BB7AF.jpeg

E23F13E2-957A-427B-B8E6-FC7E7E6F2075.jpeg

When I fitted the air filter the lid didn’t tighten down as much as I liked, someone had been a bit rough with it previously and stripped the screw threads, got another complete box for £18 delivered DHL off eBay (felt sorry for him tbh) and swapped them over
3AB1832E-904F-4478-9347-AEC38EC14D28.jpeg

D8B26600-85CA-48D0-A983-50529C9E1063.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The lid on mine won't tighten down either, the lower section must be like cheese. I've got some massive re-useable cable ties around it. 🤦‍♂️

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
The lid on mine won't tighten down either, the lower section must be like cheese. I've got some massive re-useable cable ties around it. 🤦‍♂️

He has another on eBay if you want one!

Mine came with a clean air filter too, free to anyone who wants it