Front brake pads 70% worn

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi,

I got my 2016 Vauxhall Corsa serviced today and everything on the report was fine apart from the front brake pads - it says they are 70% worn.

The service guy told me not to worry about it too much but what I want to know is how serious is it and when will I need to replace them?

It’s first MOT is due at the end of January, could this cause a failure? If not, would it be recorded as a minor fault?

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
No issue, at that rate of wear you have another year but I woundnt leave it that late as fresh pads will work better.

Yeah just wondered when I might need to replace them. Hopefully it won’t be recorded as a fault on the MOT certificate

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Just keep an eye on them if you are worried.
Should be grand for a good few miles yet.

Won't be recorded on the mot if it's an NI MOT. It either passes or fails on brakes.
I think English mot's make reference to things like that as "advisories" ie it passed but needs an eye kept on.

Last edited:

johnm

RMS Regular
The pads be completely fine. Once they get to around 10/15% then change them.
They will work exactly the same though right down till it hits metal. Caliper pistons are built to travel out for the thickness of the pads.
Also, it wont have any impact on your MOT unless there is a fault. They don't look at service history. They just care if they are working at that point in time and in a reasonable state.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
If you only service every 15k on a service plan, they really should have been changed as good practice. No biggie for mot, as said above, just keep an eye on them,