Front Knocking golf r

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
There is a knock going over certain bumps.

So I've changed ball joints, drop links front and rear, and just tonight, the wish bones. But still it persists.

Can't quite tell what side it's coming from unfortunately so everything has just got changed.

Anyone any thoughts as to what's next?

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Ah dear, thatll be some handling in the drive way. Last car I'd to remove shocks on was my 172, so much easier

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Top mounts and bearings changed. Struts seem to behave OK when I had them out, weren't bouncy and returned slowly to the top. Same knock is still there..any other suggestions?

AC

RMS Regular
Are you able to isolate the knock to a given side? I.e. going over a bump/dip on one side only?
Even though you've depressed the dampers and they return fine (no sticking or squelching) - it could still be a dodgy damper.

Chasing front knocks is hateful! Can be anything from pads rattling in the carriers to even a mid-section exhaust hanger being broken and causing the exhaust to knock and resonate up. Anyone over on VWROC had similar issues?

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Are you able to isolate the knock to a given side? I.e. going over a bump/dip on one side only?
Even though you've depressed the dampers and they return fine (no sticking or squelching) - it could still be a dodgy damper.

Chasing front knocks is hateful! Can be anything from pads rattling in the carriers to even a mid-section exhaust hanger being broken and causing the exhaust to knock and resonate up. Anyone over on VWROC had similar issues?
Yea, googling dodgy shocks is useless, there was no oil or anything so unsure what else to look for etc yea checked all the exhaust stuff too, all tight.

Sounded like it was upper passenger side, but generally inconclusive. Already spent a fortune so trying it bit by bit, just a shame if i chsnge shocks ive to take it all apart again. Passed MOT last week too, though im unsure how thorough the test was tbh
ARB bushes?
Haven't looked at them yet tbh, sounds like it's coming from the extremities, but they could well be changed yet lol

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Did you get this sorted .I have exactly the same on my a3 .only thing left is the shocks to be changed .driver side on mine for sure ,sounds like something exploding when I hit a speed bump.doing my head in as past year .

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Negative, I've turned the radio up for now.
I took mine to magowns in carrick to test the shocks and they were fine, so I've lost interest for a while. Anything else I think is potentially above my station

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Rear bush in the lower front arms? These are hectic for falling out of Polo's, Fabia's etc. Lad in work had the same in his Golf R.

I've had to replace them on my wife's 2017 Polo and my mum's 2015 Fabia.

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
I've personally changed both arms in their entirety

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Negative, I've turned the radio up for now.
I took mine to magowns in carrick to test the shocks and they were fine, so I've lost interest for a while. Anything else I think is potentially above my station

You didnt happen to leave the wee plastic ventilation box hanging loose that comes from the gearbox? I thought I had a suspension knock for a long time and it was that rattling every so often.

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
I'm gonna fire it over the pit this weekend and have a good look. Haven't done any work near the gearbox so not even sure what it'd look like.

Not sure I'll find anything since it only happens on a sharp bump and I'll not be able to replicate it šŸ˜–

Mark_C

RMS Regular
It's attached round the battery tray area, small black box about the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes with a tube going in to it.

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Just had it over the pit, took the drop links off and tried the ARB, doesn't seem like there's any okay in that either.

At this stage I'm at a huge loss as to what else it could be that I can check

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Nope to both (that I can feel in my limited know how)
Only thing I can think of is actually the shocks, could they be topping out on the rebound or something? When I pushed them in off the car they returned slowly to the top so I'm unsure again

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I swear I have only the shock left to change on mine and then Iā€™m beat .the thud from the slightest bump is horrific .I have kw has kit in mine and maybe thatā€™s something to do with it ,god knows .

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Whereabouts are you? Might be interesting to compare? Then if the worst happens just set them both on fire

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Could it be gearbox or engine mounts? Hard to identify I guess, but worth looking into.

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
There wasn't any movement when I changed the wishbones so wouldn't think it, having said that, it's going to a mechanic tomorrow to see what he thinks, I'll report back

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
I doubt it'll help anyone else but problem solved
The ball joints that went in were sh1t3, replaced them ...again, problem solved.

Then came the polava of getting alignment done, but finally, wheels be straight and knocks be gone!