Front number plates

Martyn

RMS Regular
I have recently bought a new car from a well known dealer.

The car has what they have described as a close to legal front number plate as they can deliver.

It is a sticker on the front bumper - and small. It has all the regs. reflective with the dealers postcode below it.

I went though a VCP last week and they didn't stop me.

Does this mean it 100%

Or what's the regs?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Supplied by dealer and passed VCP, whats the problem?

Many a dealer has and still does supply an illegal plate with a car.

The car has what they have described as a close to legal front number plate as they can deliver.

I assume this is the new Porsche. I'm gonna guess its not legal. If it was legal then they would have said 'thats a legal plate' not that's as close to legal as we can get' (which is a lie as they could just put a legal plate on it).

Going through a VCP and not getting stopped doesn't mean it's legal either it just means that either the cops didn't notice or didn't care at the time.

There are very very specific requirements for a registration plates here's a couple of links:
The British standard:
The 9 tests of number plates: BS AU 145d - BNMA

and the info on the pic....

road-legal-plate.jpg

Also allowed is the makers name, postcode and the British standard reference, but again there is strict rules on the size this is allowed to be.

With a photo you'd get an answer pretty quickly.

Last edited:

J55NI

RMS Regular

It is a sticker on the front bumper - and small. It has all the regs. reflective with the dealers postcode below it.

Does this mean it 100%

Or what's the regs?
Google the Requirements from the GOV website and compare to what you have, Sounds "ILLEGAL" from what you have said though.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
A photo of said plate would help? Understandable if you don’t want to post your reg though.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Many a dealer has and still does supply an illegal plate with a car.

I assume this is the new Porsche. I'm gonna guess its not legal. If it was legal then they would have said 'thats a legal plate' not that's as close to legal as we can get' (which is a lie as they could just put a legal plate on it).

Going through a VCP and not getting stopped doesn't mean it's legal either it just means that either the cops didn't notice or didn't care at the time.

There are very very specific requirements for a registration plates here's a couple of links:
The British standard:
The 9 tests of number plates: BS AU 145d - BNMA

and the info on the pic....

View attachment 301808

Also allowed is the makers name, postcode and the British standard reference, but again there is strict rules on the size this is allowed to be.

With a photo you'd get an answer pretty quickly.
This!

Don't ask armchair experts for their acceptance, google the regulations, doesn't meet them? Then they are illegal - simplez

If you want someone to tell you they are fine, then yeah, they are fine, drive on and let us know how you get on :grinning:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I have a sticker front plate on my Mx5 and was driving it everyday for years in and out of Belfast, Lisburn etc with absolutely no issues.

It was gurned about at mot once so the standard plate gets slapped on for that, but it was full size etc.

As said, a pic or pic of similar would help!

Rossios

RMS Regular
I have a sticker front plate on my Mx5 and was driving it everyday for years in and out of Belfast, Lisburn etc with absolutely no issues.

It was gurned about at mot once so the standard plate gets slapped on for that, but it was full size etc.

As said, a pic or pic of similar would help!
Was that the blue one @cauld1 ?

I remember seeing it when I was younger and over at Jack's ^o)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Does this mean it 100%

Or what's the regs?

Can't see it from here.

But if background material is ok, font, spacing etc etc...then the only other aspect is it's supposed to be mounted vertically. ie, the old MX5's with sticky on fronts on the slope section are not legal.

But why are they saying it's as close to legal as they can deliver ?

Surely all current UK cars sold will be able to mount a legal plate ? Or is it some odd import or something ?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
This!

Don't ask armchair experts for their acceptance, google the regulations, doesn't meet them? Then they are illegal - simplez

If you want someone to tell you they are fine, then yeah, they are fine, drive on and let us know how you get on :grinning:

Just print this thread off and keep it in the glovebox if you are ever stopped. 🤷

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Lol... ok the plate is totally not legal. Thanks for the advice. The car is sorn’ed so will worry about it in April.

Might just go felt spec with it displayed diagonally across the inside of the front windscreen.

It’s half that height.

I also point out that the fine for having no front plate is the same as having an illegal one. Just saying.

avo5021

RMS Regular
I also point out that the fine for having no front plate is the same as having an illegal one. Just saying.
£30 Fixed Penalty Notice (£100 in GB), carries no penalty points . . . . But . . if you receive a number of these DVLA can withdraw the plate and remove the right for you to display it resulting in you having to pay to reregister the car, if it’s a costly private/cherished plate then it’s gone forever.

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
£30 Fixed Penalty Notice (£100 in GB), carries no penalty points . . . . But . . if you receive a number of these DVLA can withdraw the plate and remove the right for you to display it resulting in you having to pay to reregister the car, if it’s a costly private/cherished plate then it’s gone forever.

Thanks for the frank and honest advice.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Thanks for the frank and honest advice.

The police can be cnuts and give you grief for a plate displayed inside the vehicle too TBH.

I had a legitimate reason for not having my front plate displayed on the e36 back during the first lock down as some **** knocked it off

Had it in the car with me to prove it had been hit, cracked upper corner where it was held in place to prove it wasn't just me being a wabbbb

Several times I got pulled for it, first few times police said try getting a new one ASAP, due to everywhere being closed this wasn't easy

One or two of them said they wanted me to display it in the windscreen until then

Whilst in the windscreen two gave me grief over it.

Imo if it's displayed on the front in a relatively presentable way leave it as it is, the stick on smaller plates suit Porsches really well. If you get stopped plead ignorance saying you bought it like that. Then look into replacing it.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular

That not just for misuse of a registration. No registration plate not a different offence?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
@Gemma would be the woman to speak to about threats from dvlni or whatever it's called these days about threats of having plates possibly taken away