Frozen Handbrake !!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
yeh you could try that ive personally never done it - i had the problem with the Yaris i just kepting yakking the handbrake up and down and it gave away after a few goes and worked fine after

CarbonKa

RMS Regular
Drives
potential moneyp
do you mean the rear brakes are siezed on? Take it the handbrake is down ok.

few revs and dump the clutch a few times (in forward and reverse) should free it up. Not subtle, but should only take a few attempts to free it.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I know what you mean - last year the handbrake seized on our Citroen C4 and no amount of driving up and down the road would free up the rear wheels. It just dragged them along.

I ended up having to take off the wheels and pour boiling water over everything. A few taps with the hammer helped too.

It hasn't moved so far this week so I'm sure it has the same problem!

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
Wouldn't go beating the drum with anything other than a copper hammer, ice cold steel + steel hammer is a cracked drum waiting to happen.

BoutYa

RMS Regular
OP
BoutYa
will let ya's know how i get on !

the cars lights are also lit up like a christmas tree, every light available on the dash is nearly on! then on restart just the ABS light.

brutal

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Common on SEAT's when the pads and drum are wet and the Handbrake is pulled on too tight, best just use a click or 2 and keep the car in gear, if rocking it back and forth doesn't work then get your cars tool kit out and give the drum a hammering with the wheel brace

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
get skateboards under the back :p do ya till you get home lol

Used to be Macdonalds trays in my day,lol.

Never did my 1200 Corsa any harm :p

Aye sure, it was a picture of health,lol. Your just a brute, lol, and here is everyone saying, i'm the brute force and ignorance king. I'd prefer to use a rubber mallett or copper hammer, only club and sledge if nothing else was about.

If you have teh option of a heat gun. will also help free the drums.

And as much as Mark's shout is brutal, it's probably what you'll have to do if no other tools about, not everyone has a mallet or copper hammer.

SMB

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Be careful of putting water on it.... The Father of a Girl in work last year had an Electronic handbrake sieze, he put water on it and a few miles down the road the water froze locked the back wheels and put im out through a hedge!!

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Be careful of putting water on it.... The Father of a Girl in work last year had an Electronic handbrake sieze, he put water on it and a few miles down the road the water froze locked the back wheels and put im out through a hedge!!

This is possibly the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard....

BoutYa

RMS Regular
OP
BoutYa
all good this morning back to normal (touch wood) ~ should be all good for later all being well... hopefully wil get a little warmer but wont hold my breath !

that's ket being put through a hedge of your own doing

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z

um.... suppose we all been very lucky all these years, our rear brakes have stayed dry, and not frozen, and put us through a hedge lol

sounds like an excuse for ''i lost control in the ice''

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
just dont put the handbrake on :p leave it in gear and fire a brick under each wheel if your worried :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.