Fuel efficiency

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Would a diesel car with a 2 litre engine and 68MPG be more efficient than a 1.4 litre petrol car with 55MPG? The 2.0 has less co2 emissions as well (106g/km and then 118g/km for the 1.4 car)

just interested to know, had thought maybe because a 2 litre is obviously bigger than a 1.4 that it would use more fuel.

Thanks

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Would a diesel car with a 2 litre engine and 68MPG be more efficient than a 1.4 litre petrol car with 55MPG? The 2.0 has less co2 emissions as well (106g/km and then 118g/km for the 1.4 car)

just interested to know, had thought maybe because a 2 litre is obviously bigger than a 1.4 that it would use more fuel.

Thanks

The answer is in your question. Yes.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
does it not simply come down to which gets the greater mpg therefore goes the furthest on £20

or are you looking to work out which physical engine is more efficient?

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
does it not simply come down to which gets the greater mpg therefore goes the furthest on £20

You'd have to consider the price difference in petrol and diesel too, but yes I believe engine size is just throwing the OP a bit

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R

Yeah pretty much which one would go the furthest.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
MPG is the constant measurement. Engine size has nothing to do with it. Fuel costs are different but so then is tax, insurance and lots of other variables.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I guess if you wanted to be really anal it would totally depend on the environment, driving style and intended use as to whether or not you'll see those acclaimed figures in the real world. 68mpg wouldn't be seen on a journey down the road to the shops from cold that's for sure.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
It doesn't matter what the engine size or fuel type is between either of them.

If something is getting 68 mpg it's more economical than something doing 55mpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've a relatively new 1.4 Petrol turbo car as my commuting tool and it's actually on a par with the previous 1.9TD I was running on the same journey. Unfortunately, the tank is only 45l as opposed to 65l on the older car so I fill up more often. Average real world mpg is the same though.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
As above I'd the same mpg in a Jetta as the zs but it's 45l tank meant every 4 to 5 days I was at the filling station, compared to lasting a week otherwise.