fuel pump failure symptoms

scub

Banned
need some of you spanner wielders to confirm please as I'm only guessing??
the v70 (2.0 petrol turbo) in the last couple of days has gone from firing up 1st click to turning over maybe a dozen times before it fires up.
but today I noticed petrol dripping from it after being parked for 10 minutes. & now the smell of fuel would put you out of the car.
so I'm surmising its maybe a seal has gone or is it likely to be the pump itself?
also it's big money for a fuel pump ain't it & if it goes completely it's engine failure in a spectacular & terminal way?
plus I've to drive it about 5 miles to get it to the mechanic.
any ideas chaps?

colin84

RMS Regular
Why would it lead to engine failure? The pumps should be pretty cheap and not too hard to fit.

Maybe it's just an O ring or something.

scub

Banned
OP
scub
Why would it lead to engine failure? The pumps should be pretty cheap and not too hard to fit.

Maybe it's just an O ring or something.
no fuel = det does it not?
hope you're right mind you đź‘Ť

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Have a wee look under there while someone turns the ignition on to prime the fuel pump, could be leaking round the filter connections and running along the pipe and dripping down. Might be as simple as a loose fuel pipe on filter. It's just under the rear drivers side door up behind the sill

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I seem to remember the fuel filter living about there on my v70, also the clips were a pig. I'd think that's your culprit buddy

scub

Banned
OP
scub
Have a wee look under there while someone turns the ignition on to prime the fuel pump, could be leaking round the filter connections and running along the pipe and dripping down. Might be as simple as a loose fuel pipe on filter. It's just under the rear drivers side door up behind the sill
that sounds hopeful mate. that's exactly where it was leaking from. cheers đź‘Ť