Fuel tank straps

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hi all,

Fuel tank straps are pretty corroded on my Astra Coupe. I'd like to replace them.

Seems to be a hard to get part, I haven't tried Vauxhall yet, but most likely will be ridiculous prices.

They are just 2 metal strips, so I thought I could just get some mild steel flat bar stock, use a torch to bend it to the same shape as the crusty originals, drill them and coat them in anti rust coating.

They aren't a complex shape, items 23 and 24.

I was thinking 3mm flat bar stock - mild steel.

Capture+_2021-04-11-14-12-05.png
cheers,

Warren.

Ps alternatively if anyone knows where would do them for reasonable money, I'd go that route.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Even 3mm would be overkill. I'd still be trying dealer first, just for handiness. No sense ruling them out until you've priced them.

Various Astra straps on ebay for around £40

Or just cut someone to cut a couple of strips of stainless, 1.6-2.0mm would be fine, that way they wont rust again.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
1mm galvanised steel strip would be fine for that job. Or that strip with the holes in it that builder use for strapping down wall plates and the like.
It has a name, but I forget.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
1mm galvanised steel strip would be fine for that job. Or that strip with the holes in it that builder use for strapping down wall plates and the like.
It has a name, but I forget.
I actually have some of that stuff!

Fair dos.

I'm terrible for doing things overkill 😂

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
if ya go to your local plumbing suppliers and ask for armaflex insulation tape it’s pretty much the same stuff as the tank straps have

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Oh just to update. I found 1.5mm Galvanised steel strips (40mm wide) 1m for less than a fiver each. They are the ticket and shiny shiny

I tack welded a steel repair type washer to either end to resist tearing. I would say the original straps were 1.5, they were folded back on themselves at the ends to double their thickess, hence the washers.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Oh just to update. I found 1.5mm Galvanised steel strips (40mm wide) 1m for less than a fiver each. They are the ticket and shiny shiny

I tack welded a steel repair type washer to either end to resist tearing. I would say the original straps were 1.5, they were folded back on themselves at the ends to double their thickess, hence the washers.

So you still managed some overkill 😂
Good man!