Fun, daily suitable, 5k budget!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I've had a 350z and a Cooper S, the mini is a more fun driving car.
For a 3.5 v6 I didn't ever feel the 350 was "powerful" or particularly fun to drive, it did roundabouts very well though (y)
Wouldn't be big inside, alot tighter than the mini.

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
Interesting on the 350z though, Would have thought they would have felt a bit quicker? Though they do make a very nice noise!
Would maybe go S2000 but worried I'd look daft being a bigger chap!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
That Mercedes is lovely.... but.... I am quite the husky gentleman, So would look fairly hilarious getting in and out of it I'm sure.
Same story with the Mini, Have driven one and it was brilliant fun but I am not small.
I'm 6'3 slightly dubious hair and don't give a hoot what folk think when I'm in the Slk.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Interesting on the 350z though, Would have thought they would have felt a bit quicker? Though they do make a very nice noise!

Don't worry what people think. Pick something you like and enjoy it. (y)

People in my office used to laugh when I came in on any dry day with the roof down. But then they left at 5 and got into their Kia/Picasso/Dacia. I know what I'd rather be in.

S2000 is tiny inside though. Boot is also very very small.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

They don't feel particularly swift but point to point it was more capable than most give them credit for. IIRC it lapped the top gear test track (if that's any sort of benchmark) in the same time as a E46 M3. I'd go so far as to say it might be one of the better point to point cars I've owned / driven... in the dry.

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
I don't care much what people think, but at the same time don't want to struggle in and out of a car either lol.
I do like the idea of a 350z though, the V6 noise alone would have me convinced... nearly.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D

Would you get an s2k for that budget?

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I don't care much what people think, but at the same time don't want to struggle in and out of a car either lol.
I do like the idea of a 350z though, the V6 noise alone would have me convinced... nearly.

Do it. Just don't expect to be blown away by it immediately. It took me a few months to warm to mine (i.e. I grew a set and started driving it hard) but in the end it sat in the garage and was rarely used. Buy at the right price and you shouldn't loose much if anything if you sell after a year.

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
Just want something a bit different, had thought about going back to a RX8 again, but 14mpg put me off for a daily. Best handling car out of the box I've ever driven though!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd have an RX8 too but the horror stories were just too much. As Alan says above, hop into a 350z and expect it to knock your socks off straight away and you'll be disappointed. Stick a few miles on it and you really start to appreciate what it's all about. I likened it to a grown up MX5.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
following this thread, in the middle of this dilemma my self again, after finally getting the Audi back on the road the fabia just doesnt cut it anymore lol so need a replacement, ideally id daily the TT but its too good for that, then dont want to buy a second and daily it cause then id get bored of both and also end up modding both..granted the replacement will get modded in some way anyway no matter what it is lol

Though myself ive been tempted with Focus ST, Fiesta ST, e46 bmw though would rather a bit newer, also a honda s2000 but most seem too be close to the top end of my budget and dont leave much choice.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
S

S2ks are pretty awkward for anybody getting into, but nice leg room inside etc, my only dislike is the silly small boot room. My Z4 is grand for space and great boot room but lacks the power unless a z4m which is hard for near 6K :worried:

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I'm totally biased but go for the 350z.

As @Coog says think of it as the love child of a mk1 Mx5 & an old muscle car. Totally hilarious to drive but you need to grab it by the scruff.

Cro

RMS Regular
My s2000 tried to kill me on several occasions, never even at speed just throws the tail out to check you're still awake. I liked it, lovely shape and I had a hard tip which made it much more pleasant in wet and cold weather. Carpets were thinner than cling film and vtec isn't my thing but I know people love it, I found it dead and didn't like screaming my way everywhere just to feel like it was moving

My 350z is a comfy cruiser, big enough to do whatever you need once you work out the angles of getting things in the boot, I've carried all sorts. It likes the upper end of the rev range too before it starts to feel like it's boogying and while it doesn't feel fast you look down and can easily be doing 100 without noticing. Very happy to slide when it's asked to and so easy to handle you'll feel like the drift king

I couldn't really get on with the s2000 so it didn't stay much longer than 8-10 months. It's by far the best convertible choice for me. I bought my 350 back after a few years break because I love it, the noise is sublime, it still gets attention everywhere even being a 10 year old car and does everything I need of it without a hassle. Ok mine is pretty modified but I'm sure standard they are pleasant enough

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
Well it's looking more like a 350z is going to be the choice.
Some great bargains to be had across the water too!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
you won't regret it. On side note check uk 350z forum. Plenty a buyers guides etc on there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.