Fun GT car

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
If you're to busy trying to listen to an infotainment system with a soundtrack under the bonnet like that, that car isn't for you 🤣

A GT car is all about being able to do big miles with ease, to me that means a great interior and infotainment as well because it's something you will definitely want if you are going to cover big miles.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What’s everyone thoughts on what a GT car has to offer?
for me probably decent size, performance, room to take 4 comfortably, with 4 doors? comfort and toys. Or how far does that go, does it go as big as a m5 ? Modern diesels are rapid too with things like x-drive BMW’s. Or is that more performance saloon territory, is a GT car 2 door?
Nearly seems a bit blurry as cars come in every shape and size now, mostly everything is bigger too. The old classes of GT or hot hatch or performance or sports car etc seem harder to divide.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I read a couple of reviews on them and according to those they are dull as dishwater.
must have been only a couple as I have read plenty that rate them. The GSF also gets favorable reviews and would be a decent option for your needs. would not put any credit to mainstream UK motoring press as majority are influenced by advertising revenue and the german stuff is everywhere.

outside of that would definitely consider an AM Vantage or DB9 ... timeless classics which still look fantastic and built for GT. The Evora would also be a consideration but appreciate that it is not strictly a GT car but you should get plenty of fun from the chassis/driving feel

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I think the mustang is the only GT car on the list

How does it differ in nature to the likes of an S5 though?

None of them would be my definition of a GT car to be honest, but I suppose everyone has a different perception. An M6 is what I keep coming back to, or 911 4S. I picture a GT car as something you’d happily road trip to the Alps in.

Difficult, yet interesting one!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I guess it’s much softer, quieter, with better spec, bigger version of a performance coupe ? Is that how you arrive at GT car

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix

None of them would be my definition of a GT car to be honest, but I suppose everyone has a different perception. An M6 is what I keep coming back to, or 911 4S. I picture a GT car as something you’d happily road trip to the Alps in.

It’s a big car with loads of power and comfortable, looks great too. A cayman is a sports car and an S5 or 440 wouldn’t be my idea of a fun GT.
I had similar in mind to you and M6 or 911 would be perfect, if I was after a grand tourer to have a laugh in too I would seriously consider the current M5. But that’s just me.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3

That new show with Tiff Needell, 'For the love of cars' did that actual comparison, Mustang vs S5, worth a look if anyone was considering either.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
I would class a GT as a large(ist) 2 door coupe, could have either 2 or 4 seats. Needs to be powerful, comfortable, a nice interior with good infotainment and reasonable sized boot.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Yea I agree large coupe with 2-4 comfortable chairs, nicely trimmed, powerful good sounding engine, space for a couple of suitcases and have a decent ride.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Sure even top gear couldn’t agree what a GT was, Harris turned up in a Bentley which would be a good grand tourer.
An SL 63 would be a good shout too

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Are any coupes ever any use for those in the back ? Like... properly.

I wouldn’t care, I would never be in the back. And to me the rear seats are a “nice to have“ not essential.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Sure even top gear couldn’t agree what a GT was, Harris turned up in a Bentley which would be a good grand tourer.
An SL 63 would be a good shout too
Sl would be a gd shout, or a cl if u want 4 seats

want about a Continental, id say thats the definition of a gt, or love an aston rapide