Fun practical car for under £13k

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Circumstances of a saving plan for a house for next 2 years have forced me to sell my M3 which I used as a weekend car with a Seat Altea tdi.

Will look to move back to a fast petrol M or S car after sorting a mortgage.

I’m now looking a practical ( 5 doors/ 5 seats) but fun car for under 13k

The higher the budget towards 13k the cheaper to run (prob diesel) I’d want and if something a lot cheaper I can do petrol...

Been all over the place with what cars I’m looking at, keeping the Altea for 2 years is an option if I can’t find something right but will kill me driving it everyday for 2 years...

Higher end of budget been lookkng at F30 330d’s which seem to tick all the boxes...

Audi 8P S3’s are still around £11k for a half decent miles one

Contemplated a Mk5 GTI for a cheap decent runabout but could see me needing to replace a load of things on it over 2 years?

Really looking a few more options...
@Lyons recommending the F30 330d has been a good shout as would never have even thought about it...

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Only Golf R’s I see are the Mk6 with the R32 style rear centre exhausts ...don’t see as many of these on the roads?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
E91 335i lci ,not horrendous on fuel did 50 miles a day in mine ? Also saying fun and diesel in the same thread. 🤢

Haha yea I’m not a diesel fan - but an F30 330d would be a LOT more fun that a 1.9tdi Altea for 2 years!
Is it for a 2nd car or your main car?

This is for my main car ...
Would sell the Altea
nice S3 be hard to beat too

Is the 8V S3 a huge improvement over the 8p?

I do like the looks of the 8V a lot more

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202010145008628
1604585329019.jpeg

Bit left field but commuted 50 miles a day in one of these for over 2 years, not bad mpg at all and 256 bhp and lsd. Change from all the dull looking vag boxes.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3

Love that, but can’t imagine it’s a cheap option to run with being at higher end of my budget..
Know nothing about them either!
Would have to be something easy enough sold on in a couple of years too...