Fun practical car for under £13k

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Perfect! Manual too!

Yes I do like that...never been keen on estates or white cars but I had seen that before...

Or there’s this cheaper Cupra R?

214AD96D-91B6-4440-A252-65130A8BACB8.jpeg

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Reason for getting rid of the M3 and having a decent fun daily was to save money - either from buying something a good bit cheaper but still not going to be costly to maintain or spend nearly £13k somethjng cheaper to run/ maintain.

The issue of keeping the M3 was a potential big bill at any time wiping out my savings and getting 15mpg on short journeys

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
I’ve a Mk6 GTI I bought for similar reason, I needed something reasonable on fuel that went ok when you wanted to have fun. Personally I think it’s been a great all rounder and does 32ish with all town driving now. It was returning 38ish when running from Bangor to Mallusk everyday.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Not a fan of them personally. Interior is terrible. If you’re looking at that sort of thing the £9k S3 is a much better shout,

Yea I fancy something I Havnt had before too...never had an Audi...

Would be interested in anyone’s experience of the 8p S3?
Yea ...

1B2D0FB1-1F1A-4DD2-BAB6-D23CE8305AE7.png

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3

f588f4dc386b49cb93914c32a089401e.jpg

That would be nice

I like that...but it doesn’t excite me enough to spend that kind of money on it..

I think if I was going to get a Golf I’d be as happy in a decent Mk5 GTI for a couple of years.
Anytging closer to 13k would have to be closer to 40 mpg and be easy to move on in 2 years.

If I was getting a funner petrol car like an S3 it would have to be under £10k so I can put somethjng into savings and I’d be happier then to spend more on fuel

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
I can’t believe I’m saying this but the F30 330d actually excites me a little...
Move never really had that mix of practicality/ frugal / more modern interior than I’ve had before and being pretty quick (5.6s to 60)

Wonder how much it would depreciate over next couple years (eg a 2013, 80k miles for 12k)?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Had an F31 330d, absolutely mega car, would highly recommend if you are happy with a diesel.

Otherwise that Focus ST that was posted earlier would be a good shout

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Had an F31 330d, absolutely mega car, would highly recommend if you are happy with a diesel.

Otherwise that Focus ST that was posted earlier would be a good shout

Not keen on the ST’s I don’t think.

I’d be happy with a quick diesel like the 330d if it was reasonably fun - it ticks all the other boxes. It looks great in grey with the m perf stuff...

C8D4CAE0-871C-4381-9308-5D457BA643B3.jpeg
B4353D6B-B12C-47EA-A299-2BCF98A11BF2.jpeg

@Lappintyre was your 330d mapped?
Anyone had an 8p S3..?

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
I haven't had an 8P S3 but I owned a 2.0 TFSI A3 8P a few years back. Was a fantastic car. Genuinely would buy another. Lovely inside and the only thing it didn't have that an S3 did was the 4wd (and Xenon lights). Being FWD though meant it would do 40mpg regularly even with being mapped to 260hp.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Not keen on the ST’s I don’t think.

I’d be happy with a quick diesel like the 330d if it was reasonably fun - it ticks all the other boxes. It looks great in grey with the m perf stuff...

View attachment 301038View attachment 301039

@Lappintyre was your 330d mapped?
Anyone had an 8p S3..?

They're a nice place to be, great handling too even with RWD. Mine wasn't mapped, standard was 258/400 and was a great going thing, they would map up very well!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Woudk there be an issue with the BMW 3.0 diesels doing shorter journeys a few days during week but longer runs at weekends?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Junk both cars in, buy one fun(ish) car and service it often then keep the rest for later would be my advice.

Instead of buying an expensive compromise car that I will be looking to sell again when mortgage sorted to fund another M or S car I’m not even looking at a cheap runabout like a Mk5 GTI...if I could pick up a decent low mileage one from England even that would be easy sold on and would be better than driving the Altea for 2 years

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Instead of buying an expensive compromise car that I will be looking to sell again when mortgage sorted to fund another M or S car I’m not even looking at a cheap runabout like a Mk5 GTI...if I could pick up a decent low mileage one from England even that would be easy sold on and would be better than driving the Altea for 2 years
I have a mate selling a Mk5 GTI ED30, black 3dr manual, one owner from new, FSH, 68kish miles if that would be of interest?

brendy

RMS Regular
No car is built as a compromise, they have fairly specific markets targeted, it's the potential buyer that will see it as a compromise if it isn't the right car for their needs if they have unreasonable expectations. If you see it as a compromise, don't buy it but consider it in the right mindset, ie. I need a fast car, I don't want single digit mpg, I don't want diesel neither etc this will narrow the search. 3 or 4 prerequisites will narrow down most searches to realistic models.