Fun practical car for under £13k

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Throw the 13k into the house deposit for sorting the mortgage, get the mortgage sorted sooner I.e Few months and therefore back Into what you really want to drive in a few months rather than settling on something your not overly keen on for a couple of years?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Throw the 13k into the house deposit for sorting the mortgage, get the mortgage sorted sooner I.e Few months and therefore back Into what you really want to drive in a few months rather than settling on something your not overly keen on for a couple of years?

You’re definateky right in that I know that’s what I should do!
But My head is full of man maths tho with money burning a hole and not fancying the Altea for a good while...
The F30 330d for example would save me over £200/ month running costs, could sell the Altea and have a modern(ish) “quick” diesel that might still put a smile on my face for 2 years....

Ahhh I’m really stuck...

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra

Best advice you have been given

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
But My head is full of man maths tho with money burning a hole and not fancying the Altea for a good while...
The F30 330d for example would save me over £200/ month running costs, could sell the Altea and have a modern(ish) “quick” diesel that might still put a smile on my face for 2 years....

Ahhh I’m really stuck...
I'd plough as much as you can into the house deposit too. Even stick the £10k into the deposit and have £3k plus whatever the altea goes for into something interesting. Doesnt have to be that new to be good. £4k or whatever would get you a decent, fun car. I know golf gti blah blah but it would be fun, relatively cheap to run and get you to the house quicker which is more important than any car.

Or buy my clio, a steal at £5k

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
In that case buy a cheap Octavia vRS or MK5 GTI, Audi A3, etc. and stick the rest on the mortgage. Fun for 2 years and then get something fresher after that if you really want.

Take me for example, I used to always want something fresh(ish) with low miles but now I'm actually enjoying having a high mileage hero that hardly costs me a penny.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I kind of like having the £800 passat estate that I can put the dogs in the boot, do a dump run, park anywhere and not worry about it getting damaged, etc.

brendy

RMS Regular

Ahhh I’m really stuck...
Diesel...smile.....
CW3R.gif

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
what about an S4 avant ? last time i looked at them they had got to 10K or so.... tick a lot of boxes !! and not a fortune to run

A B8 S4 was my first choice to change the M3 to, but would want STronic and there’s too many horror stories of gearbox failures with bills 4-10k...
The B8.5 (if gearboxes are more reliable) or B9 S4 will be a contender with an M3 in 2-3 years ...

Speaking with the other half me bumping up the savings won’t change things dramatically for us (will still be a 2 year plan) she’s happy for me to have something decent for the next 2 years.

The likes of the 330d would still be saving me around £200 a month from the M3 and less likely to need as much costly maintenance

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions...especially to @Lyons for the idea of the F30 330d....Going to England tomorrow to see and hopefully buy an Estoril blue one, M Performance kit /wheels etc, most options and only 1 owner with every receipt from new so fingers crossed it’s as looks/sounds.
Just ticks all my boxes even tho driving the Altea or a cheaper Mk5 etc for couple years made more sense this should keep me happier

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions...especially to @Lyons for the idea of the F30 330d....Going to England tomorrow to see and hopefully buy an Estoril blue one, M Performance kit /wheels etc, most options and only 1 owner with every receipt from new so fingers crossed it’s as looks/sounds.
Just ticks all my boxes even tho driving the Altea or a cheaper Mk5 etc for couple years made more sense this should keep me happier

No messing about! Link?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Very nice, auto I take it? It's obviously what you head is telling you to go for, and I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.

Yea that 8speed auto, never tried it but supposed to good...

Will update here tomoro hopefully :grinning:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
I really wanted similar privacy glass to the M3,
May need a trip to Pentagon Lisburn?

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Hope its a good car, good luck today.
On another note, love estoril but are there different shades of it or is it down to pics and the way the paint is prepared.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
OP
Snoopcousins
Drives
M3
Hope its a good car, good luck today.
On another note, love estoril but are there different shades of it or is it down to pics and the way the paint is prepared.

Cheers, it’s new to me ...but from reading about it it seems to look different in different light etc

Should have kept it an ‘M’ only colour but I’m not complaining right now - I’ve only ever had black/ grey/ silver cars really