Fundamentals of a steering angle sensor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Ok, welcome to amateur hour.....

I had removed the steering column from my Mk4 Mondeo (for a different reason) a while back and I think I let the wheel turn too far when it was off the car. Trying to re-calibrate the sensor using Forscan but can't get it to work.
My sensor can spin round and round without resistance. I thought it should tighten up the further you go from centre and only turn maybe 2 turns each direction. Because mine can keep turning I was thinking it was broken. So I found one online (from Lithuania), but its the same.

So are they both broken or is that just the way they are supposed to be? Able to turn endlessly round and round?

I can't get either of them to work, my ESP and airbag lights are on, no steering wheel buttons work, no active headlights, no cruise and no horn. MOT is soon.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Depends on type of sensor. Could be some sort of physical contact sensor with a number of turns to a stop, or a simple rotary hall sensor that could go round forever if you wanted.

It may have some sort of indexing, in which case it might need to install in a specific position, or it may not.

Bound to be some sort of installation instructions online as to whether it needs to be in a specific position first ?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
If you turn it clockwise a couple of turns you should feel the resistance,if not it’s more than likely broken

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
It should only turn so much from center in each direction. I've saw before where someone has fitted it say 1 turn from center (assuming it was in the correct position) then when you turn the steering wheel it tears the ribbon cable out of place, open yours up and take a look inside.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Yeah I think it's shot. Same for the 2nd hand I bought too. Theres an installation sticker on them that says about turning ccw until tightens, then reverse to centre. Just hadn't worked with one before and wasn't sure if it was broken or not. So sounds like bad news.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Sorry to hijack.

Would the steering angle sensor have any effect on intermittant PAS (VW polo for reference). I mean, the PAS works 80% of the time, but not when the wheel it near the centre. Also, the steering wheel is off-centre by a good bit. This is how the mechanic left it after fitting the steering rack.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
No I think that would be something at the steering rack. Maybe needs bled or something. Off centre wheel could just be the way he put it back together without checking it was lined up.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
steering angle sensor and a clock spring can be two different things. Usually a clock spring will only turn so far each direction whereas a steering angle sensor may be free to turn continually. Not sure what the setup is on a ford but my x5 has both a clock spring and a steering angle sensor further down the column.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.