G05 X5 M50d

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
So, this happened quite unexpectedly!

I’ve had my Jaguar F-Pace for a couple of years now, and have loved it, loved how it looks, drives, and whilst the engine is a dirty derv it is still a twin turbo derv running north of 300bhp.
Coming home from Dubai though, put me in a wild notion of changing the F-Pace to something different.

There were a few contenders for the replacement, and I came very close to going for an F-Pace SVR, but kind of fancied a change. Don’t get me wrong, the SVR was a special animal, but 550bhp would lead me into trouble and, I always have liked something a bit bigger.

Whilst I have no need for a 7 seater, having the option of 7 seats is great when we go somewhere with friends or family, or have the need to take the kids and their friends on some of their hobbies etc.

That led me looking into the new Discovery 5 which I really do like (although the offset rear number plate is still a bone of contention) but everything else was really promising.

Another option was the Audi Q7 but they’re not available in SQ7 guise any longer (at least for now) and to be honest, I’m still not sure on the new Q7. I think the last model was a great looking vehicle and looks better than the new shape.

I briefly looked at the new Q8 but wasn’t struck on it. Whilst the exterior is quirky, the interior (for me at least) was a major let down.

As nice as the Volvo XC90 is, for me it still lacks the engine it deserves!

That had me also looking at the new X5, but originally in the 40i petrol version, as, the 30d has ‘only’ 260bhp, and I wasn’t really interested in moving from a smaller and more agile F-Pace into a larger X5 which wouldn’t be as quick.

A call into Bavarian and a chat with a sales guy had me looking into the daddy of them though - the M50d - a quad turbo’d 3 litre in-line 6 producing 400bhp with 560lb/ft of torque, and even though I’ve only done around 100 miles so far you can really feel the punch. And hear it too. Ok, as with all modern BMWs some of the noise is acoustically enhanced, but for a diesel it definitely sounds the part, along with the optional M performance exhaust which has been fitted to this.

Speaking of options, this one has been pretty well specced.

I went for Black Sapphire metallic paint (of course!) and it has the individual extended leather option ticked

Optional Equipment includes sun protection glass, integral active steering, 2 axle air suspension, electrically folding tow bar, the ‘sky lounge’ panoramic roof option with LEDs intertwined throughout it, the third row seating which I wanted and the crafted clarity glass application on start/stop button, gear stick and other interior parts.

It also has comfort access, comfort seats (which are genuinely amazing) front and rear seat heating, sunblinds in the rear and heated and cooled cup holders to keep your drinks hot or cold! Heads up display is something I didn’t think I’d like but is actually brilliant.

It also has the visibility package ticked with the all important BMW laser lights with high beam assistant which is the weirdest and coolest thing I’ve had in any car! The way they dart over the road when you meet an oncoming car is class.

There is loads of other things that I’m just getting used to but it really is a different league of vehicle, even compared to some I’ve had in the past, like the Range Rover sports even.

First port of call was it went to PMG for @big_pete and the jedis to work their magic. They carried out their new car prep and then applied gTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. They removed the wheels and applied C5 on the wheels and hubs, coated the glass too, and gave it a total interior package too and it’s astounding. The work these guys do is really on another level. After that a visit to Pentagon finished it off. Until I got it home and changed the front grill to an all black one. Don’t get me wrong I love the cerium grey M50d only trim, but the grills are huge. This makes it at least not just so in your face.

Plans - just drive it and enjoy it. Possibly a stage one map in the future which takes it to around 470bhp, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I’ll post the pictures which Pete took, as I’ve still not really taken many of it, and his were fantastic.

Thanks for reading and any questions, fire away!

View attachment 247236

View attachment 247233

View attachment 247234

View attachment 247235

View attachment 247237

View attachment 247238

View attachment 247240

View attachment 247241

View attachment 247242
Stunning just stunning Ross, you *******😜😂