Who with?
The company is called insure the gap .
18F932B4-5E5A-4205-8815-B4497894B3AE.png

Reactions: PDK

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
thread revival................ never had GAP insurance before, i wouldn't be buying it due to finance or lease related.... but for the relative low cost - may be worth it if i ended up having a car stolen or written off and insurance valuation was a chunk less than the real world value - i assume that's a classic case where the GAP insurance is worth it ?

are they renewable ? unsure the value of going for say 2 years vs 3 years.... have no idea how long i will keep said car, but i imagine its only really useful valid over the period of the original GAP policy.. and the invoice you get for eth car at time of taking it out ?

i see ALA mentioned here.... still a good shout ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
defo renewable, I had a 2 year lease that I extended into a 3rd year and just called them up to extend

Dave..

RMS Regular
I have used ALA for years and when I sell a vehicle they offer either to carry any credit to a new vehicle or give me the money back.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Although we didn’t need it in the end ALA were ready to pay out with no fuss when our car got written off. Would recommend.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
thanks guys - and other than knowing upfront the total cost - and advantage of locking 3 years from the get go ? if you are unsure how long you'll keep.... ?

was thinking 2 years and then if its a longer term keeper decide to lock in - but i'm sure there must be some sensible limit to the timing on a return to invoice type cover

Dave..

RMS Regular
thanks guys - and other than knowing upfront the total cost - and advantage of locking 3 years from the get go ? if you are unsure how long you'll keep.... ?

was thinking 2 years and then if its a longer term keeper decide to lock in - but i'm sure there must be some sensible limit to the timing on a return to invoice type cover
Give ALA a ring and they can explain everything, the staff aren`t on commission so won`t `push` anything onto you.

MarkM

RMS Regular

Just make sure it’s a return to invoice policy so you get their payout to make it up to the original purchase price :grinning: just in case you missed it

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Does anyone else ever wonder how a finance company who are essentially due a 2 or 3 year old motor to be handed back to them at the end of a lease, legally be able to demand full settlement of the new price (plus all the monthlies they've already lifted) in the event of a write off? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, it's jackpot time for them when a car gets written off. Why shouldn't they receive top book value of the car age like what they would otherwise have received were it not wrecked in some way?

tiw30

RMS Regular
They don't, the idea is to put you back to the same position you were in at the start, i.e pay outstanding on car with insurance and Gap and have a sum the balance between invoice and amount outstanding on finance ( The GAP part) also useful throughout life of finance deal you can end uowing much more than the car is worth if it is written off.

If you check out GAP + from ALA it is much better than back to invoice as it pays out to put you back in the same car, so if your car is new and it gets written off at 3yrs 9 months old it will put you back in a brand new car the same model / spec iregardless of price increases or being replaced with a new model