gary1365’s E60 520d lci

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
The Dacia is giving engine trouble so needed a Bangernomics car and fast. Wading through a sea of insignias and rusty vag scrap on gumtree I found this e60.

I was on the lookout for a bmw or a merc I fancied trying a Mercedes as I’ve never had one but any about were rusty or rough. I’ve had a z3 in the past and absolutely loved it and have always had a lust for a 5 series. I was arranging to go and view an e90 320d but I ran it through go compare and came back with near £900 for the year and really I wanted a 5 series. Went to view this one and knew it was coming home with me.

It’s a 2007 It has a full service history right up to 2020 and all the old mot certs 142k miles. It’s manual se with an old man’s cream leather interior 🤣 I’m not sure what power it is as some places say 177 and others 166.

I’ve no plans for it other than change all the fluids and filters and tidy a few wee silly problems and drive it.

It has 3 new west lake tyres and one “city racing” tyre 🤣 I might see about getting a matching westlake so all 4 match plus when I googled cityracing tyre they seem to like bubbling on the inside and exploding.

I gave it a wash, polish and coat of hybrid as it was covered in dust. The paint needs a proper clean as it’s still a little gritty but I can’t believe the condition of it. There’s all the usual marks and scuffs but barely any swirls. I need to get a headlight restoration kit too. It looks like someone has been at them before as they’ve damaged the bumper paint around the headlights with a rotary polisher.

I love the colour too in dull light it’s deep inky blue almost black but lightens up in the sun. I’m hoping tomorrow is sunny so I can see the paint clean.

IMG_1889.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1895.png
IMG_1894.png

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
The Dacia feels faster but I think the 5 series just gathers speed differently you don’t really feel like you’re going fast. Dacia is nimbler too but the 5 series definitely handles better. Probably helps the Dacia has rainsports on it instead of budgets.

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
A thing I thought I’d never say about a car is I think the standard height is perfect. I’ve lowered most cars I’ve owned but I think the 5 series sits perfect as it is.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Looks like you got yourself a good 'un there Gary!

Health to drive!

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
Love the interior!! Kwik Fit do West Lake tyres……. 😜
£80 odd quid 🤣 modern tyres has them for £70 but I’ll try the other tyre place first he’s usually pretty cheapest.

I have the wonky wiper mechanism too I’ll have to replace it.

Must be an m47 as that looks like the timing chain to me at the front of the engine.
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1907.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
£80 odd quid 🤣 modern tyres has them for £70 but I’ll try the other tyre place first he’s usually pretty cheapest.

I have the wonky wiper mechanism too I’ll have to replace it.

Must be an m47 as that looks like the timing chain to me at the front of the engine.
View attachment 436344View attachment 436345
Yea the N47 had a different “acoustic” engine cover, and it looks the same as my M47 so I’d agree with you.

Thank goodness as you yourself know the M47 is far better!

Means it’s only 160ish (depending on where you read)bhp though, but easily mappable to 200bhp.

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
Yea the N47 had a different “acoustic” engine cover, and it looks the same as my M47 so I’d agree with you.

Thank goodness as you yourself know the M47 is far better!

Means it’s only 160ish (depending on where you read)bhp though, but easily mappable to 200bhp.
I’ll not be mapping it yet just in case 🤣

Was parking the car there with a bit of exuberance 😉 and it’s a one tyre fire 🤣😩

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
Dpf blocked it’s going a bit better and I’m getting a message now
image.jpg

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
It’s picking up a bit quicker again but I’m going to check all the boost pipes air filter etc.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It’s a weird system, the DPF actually looks more like a middle silencer on these lol.

IMG_2622.png

There’ll be one sensor just in front off the dpf. As you can see from the pic, 4 bolts either side, most likely will snap off as 3 of mine did on the one side I disconnected.

Take the car a good run, you need to be in 3rd or 4th gear at 70mph for about 7miles to allow it to get up to heat and try to burn the crap out.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’ve only managed to smash a hole through the middle of the dpf so far but it’s revs properly in neutral now so I’ll smash some more and hopefully it drives 😁😁😁
Keep smashing! And gather the dust, apparently you can sell it!

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
e60 320d
Keep smashing! And gather the dust, apparently you can sell it!
It’s gutted now and 3 bolts bolted back up one snapped.

Drives like a different car now might have tried a wee second gear slide 😁

I was the mad bar steward lying under the car to 11 o’clock at night but I’m so glad it wasn’t anything else. It must have been partly blocked since I bought it but not completely.

I forgot you worked in kwik fit when you said about them selling west lake tyres any chance of mates rate s 🤣