Gav525's Euro Road Trip 2019

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Time has finally come to set off on the 2019 Road trip. A few people had asked about routes, costs etc so thought I'd fire this up as a way of documenting this year's trip.

Had done one last year - Gav525's Euro Road Trip but this one is just us on our own. Last year's was great, though at time we felt we never got enough time at hotels, and some long days, so going it alone this time.

End goal is the F1 in Hungary next weekend so have planned a route to get there which involves the Nurburgring, AMG factory(not sure if I'll get a tour or not), all the mountain passes that I can fit in, and then across to Budapest and back home via Slovenia, Italy and South of France. Final stop at Caffeine and Machine on the way through England then home again.

This time I'm trying to limit it to 6-7hr days as that's a nice easy pace. We've one 12hr day I think to get us from Budapest back to Italy.
Have used AA route planner to plan each night stop and hotels all booked already through booking.com. Some hotels are semi nice, others a simple somewhere to rest the head for the night.
In Budapest we've got an Airbnb for 3 nights as worked out cheaper, and also in Dijon we have one for 2 nights to go wine tasting/get blocked on the way home.

Bit of craic anyways, and gives me a chance to thrash the C63 for a bit. Ideally it would have sold and I'd be in something else, but always next year for that.

Keeping tabs on fuel costs(🤮) just out of curiosity really.

Set off this morning via Cars and Coffee at Down Royal and currently on the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead

20190728_140444.jpg

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
View attachment 244664

Won't be this clean for too long!

Does look clean there, must be taken from the right angle lol, thanks mate!
Completely forgot to take any myself this morning, was too busy trying to sober up/hunting for breakfast.

Yes it'll be stinking soon enough, won't be washing it until we get home again

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Looking forward to this write up :grinning: really hope you have a great time and keep this updated with plenty of pics!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
If you are altering your route much for Caffiene and Machine I wouldn’t bother

It’s decent for a cup of coffee and a look around but I wouldn’t go out if my way to get there

I live 30 minutes away and wouldn’t be going too often unless there is an event on or it’s on your route anyway

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
If you are altering your route much for Caffiene and Machine I wouldn’t bother

It’s decent for a cup of coffee and a look around but I wouldn’t go out if my way to get there

I live 30 minutes away and wouldn’t be going too often unless there is an event on or it’s on your route anyway

Yes just want a look around as been following them for a while now and the place looks class. Always a good selection of cars there also.

Not too far out of the way for us anyways so will take a look and see what it's like.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yes just want a look around as been following them for a while now and the place looks class. Always a good selection of cars there also.

Not too far out of the way for us anyways so will take a look and see what it's like.

No problem - car selection was good to be fair and the place is nice just not spectacular

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Cheers folks.

Made it to hotel number one at Brands Hatch a wee while ago. Right on the circuit but not get to see much unfortunately.
Had a good wee blast through Wales earlier and stopped for tea in some proper wee backwards place lol.

Economical when driven sensibly

20190728_225310.jpg

20190728_225955.jpg

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I love the roads in Wales, remember driving the tvr home and staying in Snowdonia area, that’s my fav thing about buying in England, the trip home :grinning: roll on 997 so I can get a good blast home ( that’s if I don’t find a good one here! Think the chances are slim!)

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Cheers folks.

Made it to hotel number one at Brands Hatch a wee while ago. Right on the circuit but not get to see much unfortunately.
Had a good wee blast through Wales earlier and stopped for tea in some proper wee backwards place lol.

View attachment 244719

View attachment 244720
Great bar, have had a few beers in there on occasion! Brands Hatch Place up the road is a lovely spot for a feed too.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
This should be just awesome. Cant think of a better car to do it in either!
This is something I contemplate all the time ! What is a good road trip car 🤷‍♂️
I remember the first time I went to the ring, the whole way there I wished I was in my previous E60 M5 instead of my E92 M3, then once on the ring I was glad I didn’t have the extra weight.
My current car is nice but on a long trip I wish I was in a Range Rover or something lol can’t win 🤦‍♂️😆

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Personally I didn’t think an estate would be the best road trip car for just 2. Something like a 911 would stand out.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Cheers folks.

View attachment 244719

View attachment 244720

That's some restraint you've got in your right foot 😂 think I managed 25mpg over a 60 mile trip once, and at the end started brapping it through the port tunnel