Gav525's Euro Road Trip 2019

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Last few photos from C&M.

Sorting through videos today so will stick some up later on. Nothing exciting like, and nothing that's edited with tunes and fancy angles added in lol. Wish I was that good and had the time!

20190811_172727.jpg
20190811_172752.jpg
20190811_173119.jpg
20190811_172442.jpg
20190811_172644.jpg
20190811_172703.jpg
20190811_173318.jpg
20190811_174255.jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Few videos, pretty sh1te to be honest as I just strap the gopro on and press record lol

Got the wife to video me yesterday as wanted to hear the car from outside. She loves it really 😂

San Bernardino pass. Public road so nothing to wild. Was playing around with an external microphone I bought for the gopro to put on the back bumper as always have trouble getting exhaust noise to sound right in videos

Took this from near the top of the Stelvio solely to show others how busy the place is and how slow you have to negotiate some of the hairpins. As said before, it's scenic, but way too busy and it's tight enough passing at some points.
9mins you will never get back, but sure

And lastly the lap of the Ring. Still have no clue where the corners are most of the time lol, but I love the place so much! There's a couple of points where I get passed by quicker things so you can see how slow I am lol. That AMG GTR was flying, as were the 3 x M2s/240is or whatever they were.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
For a merc and an estate car it sounds impressive!

Your run down Stelvio was not too bad ... busy in places but you got a few blips in.

When you see an XJ220 up close and personal they are very interesting for sure

Gosh you have put me in the notion for a blast to Euroland in the NSX again ... dilemma is 3 does not go into 2 :worried:

Great stuff Gaz.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Few videos, pretty sh1te to be honest as I just strap the gopro on and press record lol

Got the wife to video me yesterday as wanted to hear the car from outside. She loves it really 😂

San Bernardino pass. Public road so nothing to wild. Was playing around with an external microphone I bought for the gopro to put on the back bumper as always have trouble getting exhaust noise to sound right in videos

Took this from near the top of the Stelvio solely to show others how busy the place is and how slow you have to negotiate some of the hairpins. As said before, it's scenic, but way too busy and it's tight enough passing at some points.
9mins you will never get back, but sure

And lastly the lap of the Ring. Still have no clue where the corners are most of the time lol, but I love the place so much! There's a couple of points where I get passed by quicker things so you can see how slow I am lol. That AMG GTR was flying, as were the 3 x M2s/240is or whatever they were.

Pull away in Reims alone made me smile 😆👍

Also, thought you weren't allowed to record on the ring? 🤔

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Pull away in Reims alone made me smile 😆👍

Also, thought you weren't allowed to record on the ring? 🤔

Never been told not to record mate, so not sure. Even had the camera on the bike and got away with it. Maybe external suction mounts that are banned in case they fly off?

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
Great write up and looks a fantastic trip. The wife and I stayed in Fuschl Am See nearly 15 years ago and in that same hotel. The place still looks as beautiful as I remember.

The noise of that thing on the videos in unreal 😍

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Home, car washed, checked over for any damage and put away for the month as back to work for me tomorrow. Only damage found is a stonechip on the vinyl wrap on the grille, so all good. Tyres still look brand new which is good!

So as a final update to the thread.......the costs 😭

Only putting these up as handy for anyone else trying to plan a similar trip. Won't include things like food, drink and other stuff we done as everyone is different.

This is the final reading as we pulled in this morning. Actually a wee bit less than I'd first planned as we went a different route to Hungary and also didn't do as much of France as I wanted to do due to time.

20190812_082023.jpg

The car used a total of 852.8 litres of fuel
This cost a total of £1325.95, or an average of 1.55 per litre
Overall works out at 21.6mpg which is great as I'd planned for spending a lot more on fuel.

Hotels and Airbnb cost a total of £1462. Again can probably be done a lot cheaper, or a lot dearer depending on what you want.

And then Eurotunnel was £200 return, ferries were £460.

Vignettes were 40euro for Switzerland, 15euro for Slovenia, £15 for Hungary and 8euro for Austria. None needed for Germany or Belgium, and France and Italy were toll roads. Italy we paid with card there and then, for France we had the wee Emovis E-tag thing from last years trip which is handy and means you don't need to stop. Tolls were around £55 for all roads used.

So around about £3560 all in, which in the grand scheme of what all we saw isnt bad value for money.

Anybody planning a similar trip feel free to post here or message me for info.

Already started planning next year's, all being well it'll be up through Scandinavia and do the Atlantic drive in Norway! Another bucket list road.

Wheels and brakes were stinking before washing

20190812_154803.jpg

All checked over. Actually had an annoying rattle, like a tinkling noise underneath the car. I forgot to fully tighten one of the undertray fasteners ffs 😂 4k miles wondering what was about to fall off

20190812_170602.jpg

And all tucked away again

20190812_174946.jpg

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Home, car washed, checked over for any damage and put away for the month as back to work for me tomorrow. Only damage found is a stonechip on the vinyl wrap on the grille, so all good. Tyres still look brand new which is good!

So as a final update to the thread.......the costs 😭

Only putting these up as handy for anyone else trying to plan a similar trip. Won't include things like food, drink and other stuff we done as everyone is different.

This is the final reading as we pulled in this morning. Actually a wee bit less than I'd first planned as we went a different route to Hungary and also didn't do as much of France as I wanted to do due to time.

View attachment 246625

The car used a total of 852.8 litres of fuel
This cost a total of £1325.95, or an average of 1.55 per litre
Overall works out at 21.6mpg which is great as I'd planned for spending a lot more on fuel.

Hotels and Airbnb cost a total of £1462. Again can probably be done a lot cheaper, or a lot dearer depending on what you want.

And then Eurotunnel was £200 return, ferries were £460.

Vignettes were 40euro for Switzerland, 15euro for Slovenia, £15 for Hungary and 8euro for Austria. None needed for Germany or Belgium, and France and Italy were toll roads. Italy we paid with card there and then, for France we had the wee Emovis E-tag thing from last years trip which is handy and means you don't need to stop. Tolls were around £55 for all roads used.

So around about £3560 all in, which in the grand scheme of what all we saw isnt bad value for money.

Anybody planning a similar trip feel free to post here or message me for info.

Already started planning next year's, all being well it'll be up through Scandinavia and do the Atlantic drive in Norway! Another bucket list road.

Wheels and brakes were stinking before washing

View attachment 246629

All checked over. Actually had an annoying rattle, like a tinkling noise underneath the car. I forgot to fully tighten one of the undertray fasteners ffs 😂 4k miles wondering what was about to fall off

View attachment 246630

And all tucked away again

View attachment 246631
Amazing Gav. Fair play to you for the updates and the write up. It looked epic. 🙌🏻👍🏻

warren

RMS Photographer
What a trip. I would absolutely love to do something similar. Sounds epic in the videos too, Stelvio looks much more motorbike sized than cars though, bit of a tight squeeze in places!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Superb thread from start to finish Gav. Now that its over and your home how do you feel about the car and selling it, or has it persuaded you to keep it?

It has actually! The only other car I want is a 911 GT3(997.2 ideally or 991). That's not going to happen this year or next as I've other plans financially.

It's a great car really, does everything and then some being an estate. The thing that surprised me most was the attention it got in the likes of Monaco and St Tropez. Really weird lol, especially with so many ferraris and Porsches around. Think they don't see many C63s, especially ones in dump run spec estate. Hungarians were really loving it lol.

Think I'll buy a Quaife LSD as it deserves it, and some H&R 20mm lowering springs as on the Ring the it did wallow a bit and rub the rear arch liners so could do with stiffening up. I've the 265 rears on which don't help. Oh and spacers an all as wheels look lost. Maybe new wheels an all. Oh and a carbon splitter. Possibly a Royal steering wheel refurb.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
It has actually! The only other car I want is a 911 GT3(997.2 ideally or 991). That's not going to happen this year or next as I've other plans financially.

It's a great car really, does everything and then some being an estate. The thing that surprised me most was the attention it got in the likes of Monaco and St Tropez. Really weird lol, especially with so many ferraris and Porsches around. Think they don't see many C63s, especially ones in dump run spec estate. Hungarians were really loving it lol.

Think I'll buy a Quaife LSD as it deserves it, and some H&R 20mm lowering springs as on the Ring the it did wallow a bit and rub the rear arch liners so could do with stiffening up. I've the 265 rears on which don't help. Oh and spacers an all as wheels look lost. Maybe new wheels an all. Oh and a carbon splitter. Possibly a Royal steering wheel refurb.

Trailed on a wee touch there in that last block of text 😂

Honestly the detail you went into throughout your trip has me convincing myself it's worth going over just to the ring for a few days. Provided everything goes to plan at the start of next month it may be a case of jump on the train.

Which videos did you use a boom mic on? Fairly sure it's obvious tbh as the sound quality for the Reims and stelvio I think were exceptional!

In terms of fuel that's fairly decent, considering I use about 750 litres for every 2k I cover 🙈🙈🙈

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Trailed on a wee touch there in that last block of text 😂

Honestly the detail you went into throughout your trip has me convincing myself it's worth going over just to the ring for a few days. Provided everything goes to plan at the start of next month it may be a case of jump on the train.

Which videos did you use a boom mic on? Fairly sure it's obvious tbh as the sound quality for the Reims and stelvio I think were exceptional!

In terms of fuel that's fairly decent, considering I use about 750 litres for every 2k I cover 🙈🙈🙈

The wee external mic was only on the San Bernardino one. Had it clipped to the rear wiper and had a wind block thing on it. To be honest it needs more setting up and probably taping lower down but I’d no time for that. Stelvio one was filmed just straight from the GoPro on the suction mount on inside of windscreen, and Reims one was straight from my Galaxy S8 as held by the wife 😂

Honestly you should do it mate. Combine it with a trio to Audi or one of the many other car museums, or even a wee city break. I can’t wait to get back!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
The wee external mic was only on the San Bernardino one. Had it clipped to the rear wiper and had a wind block thing on it. To be honest it needs more setting up and probably taping lower down but I’d no time for that. Stelvio one was filmed just straight from the GoPro on the suction mount on inside of windscreen, and Reims one was straight from my Galaxy S8 as held by the wife 😂

Honestly you should do it mate. Combine it with a trio to Audi or one of the many other car museums, or even a wee city break. I can’t wait to get back!

Yeah it was the Bernardino one and Reims which sounded unreal! Boom mic did the trick!

Will do some research on places to see near the ring anyway 😂