Gav525's Euro Road Trip 2019

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Remember being in Monaco when we were staying in nice! Did the people watching thing too from a table at a barvon the corner at the bottom of the hill before turn 1 I think it was! Good while ago tbh.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Keeper that petrol is a bit steep ! Ouch!!!

Wasn't impressed with that one tbh. Even normal unleaded was 1.85 or thereabouts. Worst services on the whole trip an all, rotten toilets and nothing good to eat in the shop.

Rest of the services have been class though, real clean and good facilities. Cracking places to take a mid drive dump to lighten the load 💩😀

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Love Monaco and that whole south of France area. We actually really enjoyed walking up the hill to the cathedral and round the wee streets there too.

Lol at the guy taking your pic and even posting your Instagram name! He must be a great spotter.

2 Euro a litre though. Jeepers.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Love Monaco and that whole south of France area. We actually really enjoyed walking up the hill to the cathedral and round the wee streets there too.

Lol at the guy taking your pic and even posting your Instagram name! He must be a great spotter.

2 Euro a litre though. Jeepers.

I have an IG sticker in the back window, handy for places like the Ring where there's loads of photographers. He must have been able to zoom in on the pic to see it lol.

But as you say, the place is class. Even driving round in the tunnels underneath Monaco is great fun and up through the old town.

Edited to add, it's also the most manic place to drive of the trip so far! French don't stop for anyone, even pedestrians crossing at zebra crossings. Such a tight wee place an all, there's a reason they all drive round in Twizzys, Smarts, Cygnets etc and not C class estates.

Parking is a nightmare, but eventually got in underground next to the marina. How I got in and out without touching a wheel or front bumper I'll never know. Had a right sweat on! Bonus was that it was still cheaper than Victoria Square to park in 😂

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Wee 450mile jaunt done today.

Had a class few days in Villeneuve-Loubet, saw the sights of Nice, hired a wee yacht for the evening and then drank wine on the beach. Also got burnt to a crisp lol.

This morning we left and drove along the coast to St Tropez. What a place, definitely on a par with Monaco!

Then found a wee gem of a road on the D558 from Grimaud back to the A8. The South of France is beautiful, scenery is totally different to the Alps, more desert looking, was like driving through California. Absolutely roasting today an all, car was showing 37.5°C outside at one point!

In Dijon for the next 2 nights. Seemed to be a good stopping point between South and North of France so have another Airbnb with underground parking. Wine tasting tours booked for tomorrow!

Found a good parking spot in St Tropez
20190809_123210.jpg

Place is class
20190809_124700.jpg

20190809_130236.jpg

Got snapped by another Instagram car spotter there also. Had a biker pull alongside on the motorway an all, give the thumbs up and ride away lol.
Screenshot_20190809-155908_Instagram.jpg

And a couple from the D558

20190809_151138.jpg

20190809_151105.jpg

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Monday morning mate as back to work Tuesday 🤮

The driving part is a bit boring from now on as we head home but doing a couple of car related things on the way so will keep updating

It’s always crap coming home and when you have been driving so much :-(

Anymore thoughts on what to go for next! Bet you have seen so many cars over there your mind is spinning, I’m looking at 993s now! Lol

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
It’s always crap coming home and when you have been driving so much :-(

Anymore thoughts on what to go for next! Bet you have seen so many cars over there your mind is spinning, I’m looking at 993s now! Lol

I still have an incline for a 911, but will have to wait a while to be able to afford the one I want.
Though today when driving I loved the C63 again, and could easily keep it and do a few bits and pieces to it. I haven't seen another C63 estate the whole time being away, and it's strange the reaction it gets. I pointed towards a 911 earlier to the wife, and the guy in the Porsche was doing the same back 😂

It's a great all rounder. One minute we were in Sport Plus mode raking the balls out of it, ten mins later wafting in Comfort mode at 2k revs with cruise control on listening to a General Banter podcast.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I know what you mean, I’m just down to one car but tbh I’d like to keep it as I feel ide be giving a new car to someone for half what I paid for it and only 3k miles on it!

The c63 is a great car and I do like the look of an estate too! If you don’t have to keep it and blow the tt out!

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
The whole trip looks to have been amazing Gav, some fantastic places along the way. Would love to do something like this.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
So, last full day of travelling. 700miles and 13hrs behind the wheel but got a lot crammed in so all good.

Left Dijon at 5.45am this morning and headed for Circuit de Reims-Gueux. Always wanted to go here so was class to see. So much history, even left written on the walls and real ghostly feel to the place. Could imagine a full race day raking place!
Wife took a few drive by videos of me in the car, but there were a pair of whinging old English cunits I a camper saying it was ridiculous, disturbing the peace etc etc, so couldn't fully open it up. His sock sandal combo was more ridiculous ffs! Will stick them up when I get them uploaded.

Then on up to the tunnel(loads of delays but got over alright in the end) and on up to Caffeine and Machine. Unreal place, love it, but I missed most of the good stuff with arriving too late. Good to see it though, great set up. The XJ220 is unreal in the flesh, had never seen one until today but had the model and poster as a kid.

Then on up to Birkenhead here with 4mins to spare before check in closed so all good!

Will figure out costs and fuel tomorrow and post up for anyone interested. I've a few more from Caffeine and Machine also but Internet on the boat is dung so will stick them up at the same time.

Bonus of being up early, empty French motorways

20190811_070456.jpg

Reims

20190811_090925.jpg

20190811_091104.jpg

20190811_091155.jpg

20190811_092339.jpg

org_6b958cca0b4beaba_1565507782000.jpg

org_b3bb41a5752c98c0_1565507716000.jpg

Caffeine and Machine

20190811_172328.jpg

Last edited: