Gaz86's 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II RS

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Unfortunately something I struggle with too. Understanding you can't do it all :worried:

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to do most of it myself 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'll hand over the bits I can't physically do to professionals, the powder coating, painting etc. Everything else I'll just have to muddle through myself

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to do most of it myself 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'll hand over the bits I can't physically do to professionals, the powder coating, painting etc. Everything else I'll just have to muddle through myself
I meant working, then doing a side job and still having time to build cars but it also applies to this too. I never have a minute with this ****

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
you looking this stuff

Still debating whether or not to add the spotlights. I sent you a pm a while back asking if the wiring is there for the lamps?

IMG_20221023_151039.jpg

Rear subframe, diff etc has been cleaned up and stripped down for coating in POR-15.

I have also just been sent these photos by RenewArt of the front grille badge which he has custom made for me. Thanks to Waleed from Evo 321 Spares in Birmingham for lending me his OEM badge to cad up. These have been long discontinued by Mitsubishi and second hand ones are rare as nobody wants to part with them so this is a great new alternative and will hopefully help others with Evo's from 1 to 6 looking for a new badge 👍🏻 Over the moon with this 😁👌🏻

Screenshot_20221025-175606.jpg
Screenshot_20221025-175620.jpg
Screenshot_20221025-175643.jpg

azzamut

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo ,GS430
Still debating whether or not to add the spotlights. I sent you a pm a while back asking if the wiring is there for the lamps?

View attachment 378769

Rear subframe, diff etc has been cleaned up and stripped down for coating in POR-15.

I have also just been sent these photos by RenewArt of the front grille badge which he has custom made for me. Thanks to Waleed from Evo 321 Spares in Birmingham for lending me his OEM badge to cad up. These have been long discontinued by Mitsubishi and second hand ones are rare as nobody wants to part with them so this is a great new alternative and will hopefully help others with Evo's from 1 to 6 looking for a new badge 👍🏻 Over the moon with this 😁👌🏻

View attachment 378770View attachment 378771View attachment 378772
yes brackets and wiring there

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Status Update:

Waiting on a couple of body panels coming from England before I can get stuck into the bodywork. Could be another month or so before they arrive

I have ordered the POR-15 kits from Frost Restoration to coat the underside, subframes and drivetrain and should be here in the next day or two 🤞🏻So at least I can work away at getting all that cleaned up and painted over Christmas 👍🏻

And finally a strange (and a little bit creepy 👀) story....

So a couple of days ago I was on Instagram (as I frequently am) and Instagram had suggested this guy's profile so I checked it out (something I never normally bother doing) and he seemed to be a fellow car enthusiast so I gave him a follow, he soon followed me back and last night I noticed he had commented under one of the photos of the Evo (one of the ones from Trackskills back in 2006) tagging his friend saying "remember this car on the way back from England". Intrigued I replied "You know this car?"

This morning I woke up to a DM from him, turns out he and his friend worked for the dealer that imported the car from Japan and he brought it back to Ireland 😮

Screenshot_20221115-221431__01.jpg

Screenshot_20221116-083357__01.jpg

So a guy called Gary brought it back home where it was sold to my friend Gary and now owned by me.... All the Gary's 🤣 I think it seems only fitting that I name the car Gary

But seriously what are the odds that Instagram should suggest the guy that brought the car from England 17 years ago and that he would even remember it?? Mind blown 🤯

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That car is definitely Gary now, lol, no question 😁

For the POR-15, did you get some etch primer as well? You will be putting it on clean metal so it really needs that. It will stick to rusted/pitted metal on its own, no bother, but no chance on clean metal without a good etch primer.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
That car is definitely Gary now, lol, no question 😁

For the POR-15, did you get some etch primer as well? You will be putting it on clean metal so it really needs that. It will stick to rusted/pitted metal on its own, no bother, but no chance on clean metal without a good etch primer.

The kits I've bought come with the POR-15 Metal Prep which neutralises rust and etches the surface for the POR-15 paint itself 👍🏻

Screenshot_20221116-171008.jpg

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Made a bit more progress made on the Evo build today. Painting all the suspension arms, subframes, running gear etc using the POR-15 rust protection system. Degreased, prepped and painted in bright silver. This really is awesome stuff, would highly recommend to anyone doing a restoration 👌🏻 more to come tomorrow hopefully

IMG_20221201_172555.jpg
IMG_20221201_173504.jpg
IMG_20221203_133107.jpg
IMG_20230107_174149.jpg
IMG_20230107_174123.jpg
IMG_20230107_174104.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Spent this afternoon sanding and wire wheeling the petrol tank. Dirty pain in the a$$ job but needs done. I've managed to get about three quarters of the tank back to bare metal but there's a thick rubbery coating on the underside that's a real pain to remove!

Anyone have any tips for removing it?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Easiest I found with taking off underseal was to just persevere with the wire wheel unfortunately. Adding a bit of heat helps too but not sure if you'd want to go there with the fuel tank, and can gum up the wire wheel too.

If it's deteriorated anywhere, best bet is to remove and replace and any break in it will have been letting water / crud in even if it doesn't look like it.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Easiest I found with taking off underseal was to just persevere with the wire wheel unfortunately. Adding a bit of heat helps too but not sure if you'd want to go there with the fuel tank, and can gum up the wire wheel too.

If it's deteriorated anywhere, best bet is to remove and replace and any break in it will have been letting water / crud in even if it doesn't look like it.

Thanks Connor. The tank is empty and off the car so heat isn't an issue. It's more just that the existing coating wasn't very consistent and the thinner areas had chipped off. The tank is actually still in very good condition, as with the rest of the car I want to do some preventative maintenance now to prevent any future issues. Still considering dropping it up to Brownlow Radiators for their Renu service

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Coming on rightly now! Empty tank is even more dangerous than a full one FYI.

Heat gun and a scraper is what I use for underseal. One of the most hateful jobs, ever! :joy: