Gaz86's 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II RS

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I'm hoping to get another couple of hours at the rear quarter section this weekend and hopefully have the outer skin fully separated 🀞🏻 I have had quite a lot on my plate lately and feel guilty for not making better progress with this.

Anyway some more brand new OEM parts are on the way from Japan πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅

I tried to clean the stains out of the coolant bottle using various different methods but to no avail and the bottle from the Proton has a broken tab on it so couldn't use that so I jumped on my favourite parts website and was surprised to see these are still available from Mitsubishi.

My exhaust manifold heatshield was a crumbly mess so I added one of those to my cart too. Again surprised they are still available.

Also on order is a new belly tray which was missing from my car and a number of small fixings.

Screenshot_20230310-161645.jpg

And some adjustable rear camber arms from Hardrace

Screenshot_20230310-185139.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Unfortunately a couple of the items on that order are no longer in production, namely the switch which wasn't strictly necessary anyway and the undertray, however I think I managed to go one better there and picked up this sump guard removed from an ex rally car 😎

IMG-20230313-WA0001.jpg

I have made a little bit of progress drilling out the spot welds on the rear quarter section but there's still a fair bit of work left in that.

IMG_20230315_195807.jpg

I have also managed to paint the rear subframe with the POR-15 and the front axle hub and brake disc covers so everything looks nice and fresh again πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

The Evo 3 rear seat I bought last year was a bit sun bleached around the top so I bought some Carbusonic FDBK55 fabric dye to return it to black again and match the front Recaro's. Don't have any pics yet as I'm not quite finished but it looks ten times better than it did. Just the bottom half left to do and waiting on more dye arriving. Pics to follow

My fuse box cover in the engine bay was also looking a little bit faded so I had this decal made up to bring it right back again, pretty happy with how it turned out.

received_219785747380475.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Still amazes me how I can get items delivered from the other side of the planet in less than a week but sellers in mainland UK struggle to deliver stuff in two weeks but anyway another big thanks to Amayama for another little parts haul

IMG_20230324_181023__01.jpg

Old Vs new

Although the new one does look miles better I'm not happy with the finish on it and am going to look into something more durable as it doesn't look like it'll last long
IMG_20230324_181106__01.jpg

Brand new coolant bottle πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸ»
IMG_20230324_181113.jpg

I have another load of stuff in my basket on Amayama but will have to wait another few weeks at least before I can order them. This time concentrating on fixings for the Evo 3 front bumper.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86

You sneaky git I didn't notice you taking these 🀣

Yes today was a good day 🎊 It's easy to lose sight of your goals sometimes, particularly when there's so much other sh*t going on in your life. You procrastinate and put things off and choose to do the simpler jobs instead. Sometimes it just takes the right motivation and a helping hand 😁 A huuuuuuge thanks to @bigsigh for coming over this morning and helping get a rather large rear quarter section down to just the outer skin

From this....
received_829329811517139.jpeg

To this....
IMG_20230325_142229.jpg
IMG_20230325_142248.jpg

Will hopefully have my bodywork guy out through the week to decide where to cut the bodywork on the Evo

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I forgot to post this but the 16" Speedline SL957's that came on the car were looking worse for wear and the paint was flaking off. No damage to them other than that so I had them sand blasted back to bare metal and bought new decals for them
IMG-20230325-WA0007.jpeg

This is how they should look but I'm torn between keeping them white or doing these in a pale gold. The Enkei RP01's will be Scotia White the same as the car so a gold set might look nice?

89148697_134954191342182_6696773038681096192_n.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you've already done them white then keep them that way. Bronze or gun metal also work well on a white car I think.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I think I may have to do a little photoshopping. Apparently these are actually very sought after wheels and worth a fair bit πŸ’Έ

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
First of all check the brakes will fit under them without silly spacers. Especially if you were thinking about something like AP or Alcon. I don't know about those wheels you have, but a lot of wheels don't. Hence why you see so many EVOs with big spacers and the wheels poking out.

Unfortunately the ones that do clear big brakes without big spacers tend to be the more expensive motorsport wheels... 😞

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
First of all check the brakes will fit under them without silly spacers. Especially if you were thinking about something like AP or Alcon. I don't know about those wheels you have, but a lot of wheels don't. Hence why you see so many EVOs with big spacers and the wheels poking out.

Unfortunately the ones that do clear big brakes without big spacers tend to be the more expensive motorsport wheels... 😞

Here they are on the car just before I took the plunge to buy it 😎 No brake clearance issues. The Enkeis are fine on too πŸ‘πŸ»

IMG_20220402_155625__01.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Some more little details in progress at the moment. Tidied up the shafts and fuel filler neck with a good few coats of black Hammerite spray paint. And yes those are dog poo bags over the joints 🀣

IMG_20230330_193528__01.jpg

And I have started cataloguing all the nuts and bolts with a view to replacing them with new yellow zinc plated hardware and those that I can't replace I will send off to get treated.

IMG_20230401_135834.jpg
IMG_20230401_135946.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Has anyone on here used TJ Plating in Belfast? Not much info on their Facebook page

Anywhere else in NI you'd recommend?