Getting into Trackdays

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
I done a supercar driving experience down at Nuts Corner last week and enjoyed it more than I expected so it got me thinking about getting into some track days next year.

Are there any guides into what is required to do some days at Kirkistown or Mondello?

Any special licenses required?

What safety devices would i need for myself and the car?

I was looking at picking up something like a Celica 190, MR2, twingo 133, Swift etc or spend a bit more and get a track car with the work already done. Something not too heavy and around 150hp/tonne so it doesn’t eat through too many consumables.

Any tips appreciated!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Follow @pablo's Mini thread and look at his VX220 thread as well - some good insights to prep and what to do. Would love to do something like this as well.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Trackdays at Kirkistown are a pretty relaxed affair.

All you need is:

- A car
- A helmet
- Long sleeved top
- Jerry can of fuel if you're in something thirsty, although something around 150bhp a tonne you should be grand with a full tank

No licenses required

No safety devices required apart from a helmet. It's up to you wether or not you want a cage, fire extinguisher etc

You could buy something like this, stick some decent tyres on it and away you go - Clio sport 182 FF | in Lisburn, County Antrim | Gumtree

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My recommendation is simplicity and reliability. It's tempting to try something high powered and a bit baggy but experience has told me they're generally only good for keeping you in the paddock all day while you should be out skelping about.

Everything else is well covered above.

I had nearly 10 years (!!) out of a MK1 MX5 that cost me £300 originally (and stupid amounts more thereafter lol). It's fun doing a day, buying a mod, trying it out at the next day and so on.

There's three things I did to every track car without fail: brakes, tyres & suspension. After that most of them would have just got a good going over and the odd bit here and there. Some did well, some blew engines & one even went on fire at the track - overall a thoroughly enjoyable and not necessarily expensive hobby to have. Smashing way to put a day in (and all those evenings beforehand getting the wee bits and pieces done).

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Just to add as well, it's actually very good for your mental health.

I find that when I'm at the track, all the **** of the day get's left behind. You won't be able to think about anything else, very addictive experience.

Not so good for your financial health!

Chris0

RMS Regular
I’ve always thought about getting into track days but the idea quickly stops when I realise I probably wouldn’t be able to repair it to get home

PAULW

RMS Regular
I'd love to do it too but I'd likely blow an engine and then the craic would soon be forgotten

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I just did my 1st one a couple of weekends ago at Kirkistown, and I have to say trackskills run it very 1st timer friendly. When you arrive they take you out and spend a decent amount of time talking you through the lines, turn in points etc and then before lunch all the rookies ran together so was a nice small group with no rocket ships appearing in your mirrors, and have to say I really enjoyed it.

All I needed was a helmet and a new set of pads just to be sure I wouldn't run out of them half way through the day.

In terms of the car I think you could basically do it in anything, and well although I have basically no experience on track I think some mechanical sympathy goes a long way in anything like this. Its a road car with a few adjustments its not a race car, so don't expect to treat it like one lap after lap all day long and not break something.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Do it, you won't regret it. You'll learn alot about your driving and the car in a safe environment. Guarantee you'll be hooked 👍

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
BIL has been trying to talk me in to a track car or joint track car for a long time, I've zero mechanical skills but he has plenty from building his own cars so that part doesn't put me off, more so just getting used to being on a track amongst others etc. Good to hear there's plenty of time spent for rookies.
I know it's sore on brakes etc but how sore? As in if you were to bring a road car for the day to see if it's something you'd like to get in to, are the brakes going to be shot afterwards?

pablo

RMS Moderator
You only be as sore as you want to be. I tend to brake a little early whereas some are full stomp at the last second.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I started doing them a couple of summers ago and I love them. It's definitely a fun day out.

When I was looking something I personally wanted to stay away from anything turbo as more things to potentially go wrong and diagnose. N/A all the way! This was a budget thing for me to see if I liked it so I bought the cheapest Mk3 MX5 I could find for it. All I felt it needed to start me off was springs and a decent set of front pads.

I think I've done 7 or 8 track days now and still use the car for general pottering about as well. I put a decent set of pads on the front of the car and they'd last me three events. I've still the same set of Toyo road tyres on the car as when I first started although I think one more track day and I'll have to start thinking about replacing them. I've had to top the oil up a few times, and I probably should to do more oil regular changes. I can easily do a day at Kirkistown on one tank of fuel simply due to how they usually run the day in groups although I bring a jerry can to Mondello where it's an open pit lane and longer track time.

I'd agree with Coog in looking for something that's simple and reliable and also consider prices of replacement parts.. I bought a set of RX-7 wheels for a bit more tyre width before realising the choices of a track tyre in that size is very limited, and expensive.

I'm also worried about having to drive home after, but thankfully usually go with a couple of friends who know much more than me, and also people at the track days I've attended have been friendly in the most part if you needed a hand with something. Also I try to remind myself to drive a bit more sympathetically when I know I've to drive it home although it's easy to forget that when out chasing stuff.

Good luck, and have fun. You'll def enjoy it!

Reactions: V8

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Good thread this.

Could really be doing with something to look forward, this might be a good idea.

The likes of this be a good shout??

OR

Last edited:

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
That Fiesta would be the Duratec engine wouldn't it? Plenty of mods for it I believe.

@DaddyC has had a couple of these in the past.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Good thread this.

Could really be doing with something to look forward, this might be a good idea.

The likes of this be a good shout??

OR

That Meganne is a diesel, but I bought my petrol one pretty much for the purpose of tracking and it handled its 1st great, didn't use one drop of oil oil coolant and brakes were great all day long with no fade.

I had started looking around 1k but at the time there was just nothing going for under 2k, and my budget steadily spiralled haha

Reactions: V8

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Fiesta ST handles brilliantly out of the box, it will feel weird sitting higher if you get out in one but its all to do with centre of gravity etc? Absolutely ****ing dead in a straight line, but ridiculous fun for all they are in the corners :grinning: Engine is pretty bullet proof and built by Mazda i think it is? Its jap anyway. Brakes are ok but could do with something a bit beefier.

Wish i had the spare money, knowledge on fixing bits and general crotch stones without seeming to be in the way of others for this :worried:

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I did my first track day a year ago. I’ve now done 6. They are really good fun and a great way to test and improve your driving skills.
I bought my Clio 182 ff for them, I wouldn’t fancy doing one in my daily driver or something more expensive. Basically there’s no insurance on the track. So if something bad happens and the cars a wreck, or blows up, then it’s not the end of world.
The 182 is an awesome starter car. I’m actually going to be selling mine shortly after I fix a noisy top mount. An old car which I used to own is currently for sale and I’m tempted to buy it back. If I do, it can replace the Clio as the track day car.
PM me if you’re interested and I’ll give you the details.

58A5A696-46B2-43F1-A949-30E2C80C5077.jpeg
D1DD1494-F476-4678-A045-244D6AB2CA89.jpeg
EFF0F47C-5034-4BD3-AE7E-D3BA168EFCB5.jpeg

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Warning: track days are damaging to your bank account and are severely addictive.......but dam good fun.

I'd recommend try before you buy, trackdays are different to Supercar days at Nutts Corner. I have no affiliation to Creative Motorsport but I'd recommend you rent one of their cars for a track day to see how you get on before committing to the expense of a track car.

I mentioned it in the members car thread that Pablo has about his Mini Cooper track car. I booked Creative Motorsport's Mini Cooper in June for the wife to drive at a Trackskills day. She loved it and so did I.

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Couple of videos from the Mrs phone, sorry couldn't upload them directly so put them on Youtube.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I'm thinking of taking my 540bhp M4 on track in Kirky.... bad idea? :joy:
Why not man. Weigh up the risks and go from there. Take insurance if you want. Some insurers offer it as an extra on your policy or else you can buy just for a day. The day ones seem to be expensive though.