Getting into Trackdays

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Warning: track days are damaging to your bank account and are severely addictive.......but dam good fun.

I'd recommend try before you buy, trackdays are different to Supercar days at Nutts Corner. I have no affiliation to Creative Motorsport but I'd recommend you rent one of their cars for a track day to see how you get on before committing to the expense of a track car.

I mentioned it in the members car thread that Pablo has about his Mini Cooper track car. I booked Creative Motorsport's Mini Cooper in June for the wife to drive at a Trackskills day. She loved it and so did I.

Sounds like a plan - I absolutely love going karting and drag racing so doing a proper track day would be fantastic fun I think and as you said, try before you buy.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Loved the track day at Kirkistown a few years ago, make sure you bring a spare set of pads and your car still has brake ducts installed. Ask me how I know lol.

Need to get the car sorted and get out next year again.
Fiesta ST handles brilliantly out of the box, it will feel weird sitting higher if you get out in one but its all to do with centre of gravity etc? Absolutely ****ing dead in a straight line, but ridiculous fun for all they are in the corners :grinning: Engine is pretty bullet proof and built by Mazda i think it is? Its jap anyway. Brakes are ok but could do with something a bit beefier.

Wish i had the spare money, knowledge on fixing bits and general crotch stones without seeming to be in the way of others for this :worried:

From what I've seen they're about as bulletproof as damp cardboard lol. Whether thats entirely the cars fault or the owners is another thing kind you...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Getting into track days is the best thing I have ever done associated with cars.

For the car and it's spec concentrate on something that's going to keep you out on track as long as possible. Reliability, brakes (pads, discs and fluids) and of course tyres need to be up to the job. That's where the enjoyment is IMHO.

You'll find plenty of people are happy to help if you need any advise at Kirkistown too. Genuinely a great bunch of people.

Donal that runs it was full of advise for me too.

Perhaps call down to the next Trackskills session and see what you think. Have a nosy at the cars and chat to the owners.

Don't worry about being slower than anyone else, groups are mixed up and there will always be people quicker.

I'd also agree with what @acsmyth said, it's fantastic for unwinding and clearing your head.

I've an EP3 that's used just for that purpose - Have a wee read My 2003 Civic Type R EP3

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Tbh if I was starting out again the car I'd go for would be a clio 172/182,Mazda mx5 or a fn2 type r, Hondas are the best track cars imo but arent as cheap as they used to be. Tho I had a 328ci and was fantastic crack on track....
I've done a fair few now and you 'need' very little to go but you 'want' a few more things to make sure you've a better day.
A helmet
A set of decent tyres,brakes and fluids your pretty much ready to start
Tho I'd suggest higher temp fluids,spare set of rims,fire extinguisher and some average tools

cupraricky

RMS Regular
BUMP.......thinking of getting into this with a road legal track car to drive to and fro from trackdays. But before I make the leap is there any where in NI that you can do a track day in a hire car kinda set-up to get the feel?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
BUMP.......thinking of getting into this with a road legal track car to drive to and fro from trackdays. But before I make the leap is there any where in NI that you can do a track day in a hire car kinda set-up to get the feel?

You can hire track prepped mx5’s from a place down near Kirkistown, Davey Cousin’s from memory, think he was/is East Engineering or East coast engineering.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Are there any track days where you can learn a bit and not be thrown in at the deep end! Just to learn some track etiquette, corner lines, etc. Ideas of cost for day (minus repairs, pads, etc)? I’d love to start it but bit nervous about it.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Are there any track days where you can learn a bit and not be thrown in at the deep end! Just to learn some track etiquette, corner lines, etc. Ideas of cost for day (minus repairs, pads, etc)? I’d love to start it but bit nervous about it.
Trackskills are brill for this. Maybe @V8 can correct me if I am wrong as it may have changed with covid, but a first time with them will get you out for a few laps with one of their drivers in their car, show you correct lines etc and explain the track etiquette before the sessions start.

Then you’ll have a drivers briefing so everyone is on the same page.

Then usually pre-lunch use to run in 2 or 3 groups, with the first group being beginners. It doesnt matter what car you’re in, but it puts the 1st time track goers together before opening the groups after lunch. They run a great show, and the marshalls do a great job of keeping everyone right.

Lastly, it is all great fun, but if you’re driving beyond your skill level, you will be told to reign it in.

Edit: to add costs
The price for the day has gone up, not sure what it costs now, but back when I did my last one the breakdown was:
£110 trackday
£60/70 fuel roughly (burnt through this in 3x 10-12min sessions)
Track tyres - nothing (Used my old ST wheels with goodyear tyres)
Insurance - £80 but excess double if claim - car was insured for use on the track, it was my daily, and I wanted that safety net
Food and drink - £10 roughly
All things to consider, as well as brakes etc etc, but honestly a great bit of fun and I look forward to being able to get back to it.

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Trackskills are brill for this. Maybe @V8 can correct me if I am wrong as it may have changed with covid, but a first time with them will get you out for a few laps with one of their drivers in their car, show you correct lines etc and explain the track etiquette before the sessions start.

Then you’ll have a drivers briefing so everyone is on the same page.

Then usually pre-lunch use to run in 2 or 3 groups, with the first group being beginners. It doesnt matter what car you’re in, but it puts the 1st time track goers together before opening the groups after lunch. They run a great show, and the marshalls do a great job of keeping everyone right.

Lastly, it is all great fun, but if you’re driving beyond your skill level, you will be told to rein it in.
Sounds like exactly what I’m after, need to check the schedule then see what’s available.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Sounds like exactly what I’m after, need to check the schedule then see what’s available.
I edited my above post for costs but not sure how accurate they would be today. I should also add, it doesnt matter what you’re in, its generally great craic, and will always be something to chase or have a play with.

Now have me reminiscing now about the trackdays of yesteryear. It’s been a while for me since I was last there

Started young with my dad and brother - this was roughly 03/04ish
E7F33880-BA07-4E56-92B4-EA6E2A28D693.jpeg

0BBA5FF1-1F19-457A-99CD-79544F21F967.jpeg

Then a few using my friends Supra, which had an untimely demise with a tyrewall (no photo)
Then the golf came back stronger with rebuilt engine and some bodywork
0D8E59F4-E307-42DE-81DD-F65FB4DDCB6F.jpeg

7DB4C7C9-1837-4200-857C-C1770FB3BDAD.jpeg

ED25404C-57FD-4400-BC3A-0023F6704178.jpeg

At this stage I realised the modern diesel was quicker, so naturally it had to be tested. Still used the golf too

804AD1EC-3D5B-49CD-BDD1-7B41CFC0ED48.jpeg

Then the daily got quicker again so had to try it
3B8BB3AA-5A56-4969-B164-2ACB1F2E09D5.jpeg

And again after I added coilovers
A28A51D7-F1CD-4087-AD3F-6E4B9DDA47FA.jpeg

Damn, I need to get something again

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Aye as said above trackskills is all very friendly for a newbie, did my 1st one last year. You can also pay very little for an instructor to sit in with you for a session, tbh I wish id done it on the 1st day to start as i mean to go on instead of probably picking up bad habits.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Instructor definitely worth getting for first time round the track, but even just rock up with a helmet and get people to take you out a few laps.

Most people are more than happy and you learn a lot just watching other people, where they brake, where they turn in etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Entry is £145 for the day. Aside from that as above really.

I’ve always erred towards reliability than out and out performance for the track car itself. That keeps unexpected costs low and time on track high. Cars like MX5’s are popular for a reason and although won’t be out there setting lap records, will at least have a good chance of seeing the day through and getting you home again.

I can think of nothing worse than spending all the time and money getting ready for a track day to then get half a dozen laps and an afternoon in the paddock fixing the car. Been there done that.