Getting rid of road noise?

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
After a bit of advice

I'm wanting to sound deaden the whole floor/boor/roof (maybe firewall) of my Lancer due to the road noise. I've a load of kilmat arriving which I hope will be enough to cover most of the floor (doors are already done)
Am I right in saying that this will only deaden and not "block" out road noise? It's pretty hard having a conversation especially if someone's sitting in the back - my passat feels about half as loud in comparison. Do I need another layer of something over the top such as "mass loaded vinyl"? Would anyone have any recommendations on where I could get something local/next day delivery?

This is all starting as I'm wanting to change my speakers/amps in my Lancer as the Alpine Type R SPR60-C have absolutely 0 mid bass. May aswell try my best to do everything correctly

DJMCA

RMS Regular
No expert on this by any means but it will dampen the noise/vibrations. As with anything, the thicker the material the more efficient it will be at reducing noise.

Tyre size, make and suspension setup will be a big factor too

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The Kilmat will reduce the resonance on a panel, for example a flat panel on a van, or the inside of your rear quarter panel. To kill the noise transmitting into the boot space, you would need the thicker padding. I have found even a layer of shutz underneath, especially in the arches, can make a slight difference too.
Is it a stripped out race/rally car, or why is it so noisy?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I wouldn’t have thought an evo or an M2 would be excessively noisy? Even the Elise isn’t that bad and it’s very much stripped of sound deadening or comforts and runs road legal track tyres, although your passenger may aswell be sitting on your knee so hearing them isn’t that difficult 😂

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I use cheap sound deadening all round. It's a foamy affair from the eBay's and costs very little for a roll. The only problem is that the backing paper is hard to remove but sonically it is fantastic. My old derv daily is quiet as a Bentley these days after application in the doors and boot. 5m Sound Deadening Roll Car Van Insulation 5mm Thick Closed Cell Foam | eBay
I used that stuff in my Mrs 1971 Mini, worked a treat! Only thing is if you need to take it off its a nightmare

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Had a false floor & rear seats removed in my old VW Polo from the show car days.

Stuffed an old cut to shape duvet under the false floor & in dead space behind doorcards (allowing plenty of room around speakers), with sound deadening stuck onto the panels, and couldn't believe the difference. Quick and dirty, but results where fantastic.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
1696168278516.jpeg

I did the boot floor in my 350z this morning with dodo mat sheets. Bought a box of 30 and still have a decent amount of them left for any follow up work. Very easy stuff to work with too.

Still need to take it out for a proper run, but it's definitely made a difference considering I've not cats and a buddy club exhaust.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
After taking it for a good drive, it's really cut out the exhaust drone and made it so you can have a conversation without shouting at each other.

brendy

RMS Regular
After taking it for a good drive, it's really cut out the exhaust drone and made it so you can have a conversation without shouting at each other.
Bought some matting for my S4, ordinarily I don't mind the volume but I've been doing far, far more miles recently for various reasons and the drone is getting on my tits. Good to hear it's helping.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
This the very reason why I sold my 370z few years ago, you think the floor was cut out of it… the road noise and sound of stones etc hitting the arches was insane. Trying to listen to music or have a conversation was a big challenge.

Thicker underlay under carpet in car maybe?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
We used to do a big trip down through England once a year when I was a kid. We had a Datsun 120Y and it had a drone of the diff and the wheel arches came right into the edge of the seat, like most small cars back then. My mum used to put a big bed quilt across the whole rear seat and it made quite a difference. Boot full of luggage helped too.

brendy

RMS Regular
We used to do a big trip down through England once a year when I was a kid. We had a Datsun 120Y and it had a drone of the diff and the wheel arches came right into the edge of the seat, like most small cars back then. My mum used to put a big bed quilt across the whole rear seat and it made quite a difference. Boot full of luggage helped too.
Screaming kids would help too :laughing:

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
This is a great thread! I’ll have to get some of that sound deadening material for my A6 Avant. My kids hate the incessant drone of road noise in the back of the car to the extent it makes them queasy. If the sound insulation doesn’t work, it will probably be a case of replacing the hateful, rumbly 20inch wheels with 18s and sensible tyres.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Tyres can make a big difference to road noise too. Worth looking at the sound ratings