Getting rid of surface/hariline scratches/stone chip/swirls

JCM

RMS Regular
Drives
E39
Hi all, just looking for some advice.
I have a Mk3 Leon in monsoon grey I purchased a month ago. It has a few scratches(botched touch ups) on the corner of the bumbers as well as hairline scratches, stone chips, surface swirls throughout.
Would it be worth me taking it to bodyshop place(Nu-Finish in Antrim) and getting work done to it or worth trying DIY? I know yo ucan get ChipEx for the stone chips but how would you fix surface swirls?

Nu-finish might not even be the right place to go to so if anyone has any recommendation that would be great.

@big_pete I've seen your name mentioned numerous times when it comes to detailing. It'd be nice if you could have a chat since you're only in Ballyclare :grinning:

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I live in Ballyclare but the workshop is in Belfast :grinning:

There's nothing to say it couldn't be DIY'able, it depends how much you want to invest in equipment and products Vs just paying to have it done.

It's a rewarding process and it might be something you enjoy tackling yourself but most people don't have the patience/time to see the process through and inexperience can limit the level of results you can achieve.

Also knowing what is realistic to fix and what isn't, is very difficult to grasp if it's a process you are unfamiliar with.

Scuffs and scratches may be too deep to repair using any other method other than repainting. So it's worthwhile having someone with an experienced eye cast their eye over it to advise accordingly in this regard.

One common misconception is " I can't catch my nail on it, so it will polish out"

That couldn't be further from the truth as in the instance of your nail catching is more to do with the width of the scratch/defect rather than its depth. Even if a scratch isn't "white" it's still possible that it is through the clearcoat without breaking through the base.

This is where beginner's push too hard and actually end up causing more long term detrimental effects. Your vehicle's clear coat is an important protection element in itself so you don't want to compromise this too far at the risk of longer term side effects.

So I would say the best port of call will be call out to a detailer and let them advice you on what will need painted, what's likely to fix and even give product tips etc if you do decide to go down the DIY route.

Most detailing shops will work alongside a bodyshop so can offer a complete package in that regards too, we often have minor repairs, wheels refurbished etc for our customers while their car is in our care.

I'm more than happy for you to call up and I can advise with the car in front of me and help any way I can, even if you do go the DIY route.

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
I was trying to find your shop as I didn't have clue, it's PMG Autocare isn't it?

I've always been a fan of doing things if I can but currently renting an apartment with limited space so car detailing would be out the window(even a simple car wash).

That's very kind of you and I would greatly appreciate some first hand advice. I noticed you're open late most evenings so will be an evening visit as I work in Antrim 9-5. Do I need to book an appointment to be seen?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
No appointment necessary just call in whenever suits you. Open to 8 and 4 on a Saturday

JCM

RMS Regular
OP
JCM
Drives
E39
After having a closer look. The majority of the scratches are on the plastic bumpers(front/rear). There's also some a hairline scratch on the bonnett amongst a number of stone chips. The doors seems to have some paint layers missing as well(looks white now). Assuming this was caused by opening doors and lightly touching another surface.

I was going to call up last Monday but other things got in the way. Hoping to get this looked at in the next few weeks so that I can get some peace of mind.