Getting rid of the smell of whiskey.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
My uncle had set a bottle of whiskey on my back seat yesterday when i return a few hours later seat had be completely soaked in the whiskey and was stained with it what we think happen was the heat in side the car cause the cork to pop open on the whiskey bottle and the entire bottle emptied on to my back seat. anyway does any one know any good products to get rid of the smell and it is rotten. The car is just about derivable with the smell, also something to try and get the stain outta the seats as well.

thanks

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
lol good luck explaining that one to the Fuzz if you get stopped LMAO (y)

in all seriousness tho , i would imagine seats out and powerhose would be the order of the day for that volume of a spill

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
you may laugh, but cat litter would probably do the job, then you would have to wash the powder residue off the seats just after clearing the litter

wings

RMS Regular
OP
wings
Drives
MK 6 GTi
lol good luck explaining that one to the Fuzz if you get stopped LMAO (y)

in all seriousness tho , i would imagine seats out and powerhose would be the order of the day for that volume of a spill

ive thinking that as soon as you open a door or window it hits you in the face like a shovel its wild lol

was hoping i would have to do that bust suppose if its the best way + quickest to sort it out

cheers

wings

RMS Regular
OP
wings
Drives
MK 6 GTi
you may laugh, but cat litter would probably do the job, then you would have to wash the powder residue off the seats just after clearing the litter

Really cat litter?? that would work?

Why on earth would you want to get rid of the smell of nice whiskey? :p

it was a nice whiskey but the the amount that was spilled in such a small space with the heat in the car you dont understand how strong this smell lol

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
i have heard of Cat litter before , and coffee, and Bi carb of soda, which will all absorb stinks , there is also an enzyme powder thing that eats the cause of the smell, but i would imagine in this case if there is a bottle spilt nothing is gonna beat a good auld wash

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What sort of car is it? Would a second hand seat out of a breaker be a worthwhile option?

wings

RMS Regular
OP
wings
Drives
MK 6 GTi
What sort of car is it? Would a second hand seat out of a breaker be a worthwhile option?
its an e90 bmw so think second hand seat is outta the question lol

Yeah cat litter is designed to absorb moisture and odours basically. not just cat pee
would never have thought to try that in a million years. suppose it wouldnt hurt to try it and if fails sure i can just wash it any way lol

wings

RMS Regular
OP
wings
Drives
MK 6 GTi
although would cat litter still work as the stain is dry now cause it happen yesterday ?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
If trying the cat litter keep the windows closed. IIRC some cat litter contains a scent which is designed to attract cats to it so they do their business in it rather than your pot plants

wings

RMS Regular
OP
wings
Drives
MK 6 GTi
i gave the seat a good scrub and the stain has come out but there is still a bit of a smell hanging about but no where near as bad as it was.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
you'll need to lift it out and treat the foam with deodouriser and clean the metal work with apc also

PJS

RMS Regular
What you need to do, is get this – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330873307513 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350837370879 – and lay them directly on the source of the odour.
After that leave in place or force air through the net bag using the vacuum cleaner.
With it being alcohol, you should open the rear windows a wee bit, and put the heating on full tilt so as to evaporate it – both the alcohol content and water.
That or a hairdryer – it's heat you need, and to penetrate deep into the foam.
There's no real point in soaking the seat to dilute it, that'll only spread the fluid throughout the foam, and will still require heat to evaporate the moisture once the wet vacuum has sucked up what it can. You'd need a serious vacuum to pull nearly all the moisture out of a porous material.

So the truth of the matter is it's going to take a lot of effort and time for the charcoal to do its thing.
Meanwhile, any nice hot sunny days, get it parked in full sunlight with the windows closed – the hotter it gets inside, the deeper the heat will penetrate into the foam and pull out the moisture.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.