Getting started

OdhranNed

Drives
VW Golf
I’m looking about getting my first bike. I’m 21, 5’7” and haven’t driven bikes before but fairly knowledgeable when it comes to the nuts and bolts. Wondering what size of bike to go for and tips for learning to ride etc. Any help much appreciated 👍🏻

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
You can do your cbt (compulsary basic training) on a 650 but you can only ride a 125 on the road until you do a test.The cbt lasts 2 years before you have to do a test or renew it.If you do your cbt on a 650 you can do your test on the same bike.

OdhranNed

OP
O
Drives
VW Golf
You can do your cbt (compulsary basic training) on a 650 but you can only ride a 125 on the road until you do a test.The cbt lasts 2 years before you have to do a test or renew it.If you do your cbt on a 650 you can do your test on the same bike.
Thanks! Ideally I’d want a bigger bike than a 125 for the road so I’d probably go for the test sooner rather than later. Any recommendations on a decent starting bike?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
You just need to be careful looking at cc alone. Technically, you want an "A2" bike with max 32kW (47hp). So thinking 650 is the limit, it isn't that simple. Maybe a 650 single, yes, but a 650 er6n twin would be higher, a 600 four could be twice the hp limit so you need to have restrictor fitted.
Anyway, that's just a heads up, not gospel, Check it out or ask your instructor. I did mine 20 years ago when it was simple, so I'm not totally sure.

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
You will need to restrict a 650.Most instructors use 600 bandits/sv650's etc so that sort of thing would be a good first bike.Just bought the son a wee CB400sf for his first bike.Great for starting out.

OdhranNed

OP
O
Drives
VW Golf
Thanks for the help lads. Restricting a bike seems to be the way to go for long term value so it’s probably what I’ll be looking at.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Nothing wrong with starting on a smaller bike and working up too. I got my wife a KTM rc390 and it's brilliant fun to ride on the limit, there have been times I have taken it out for a quick spin over the fireblade. I think working up through bikes builds confidence and skills, certainly easier to manage and more forgiving than jumping straight on a bigger bike, but plenty move straight to a 600+ with no issues.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I wouldn’t worry too much about buying a bike at the a2 limit a 47hp bike will still do 0-60 in ~5 seconds. I went from a 105 hp cbr600 to a 50hp gpz500 and was able to have just as much fun. Just lost some of the overtaking punch and it was easier to stay below licence loosing speed.

The cbr was restricted to 33hp for about a week and it was terrible to ride.

Last edited:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Thanks for the help lads. Restricting a bike seems to be the way to go for long term value so it’s probably what I’ll be looking at.
I might be moving on my 600 hornet shortly which is largely deemed a good place to start. Very clean example too with a bit of retro coolness imo